Topic Actions

Topic Search

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Google [Bot] and 43 guests

The Honorverse Best Seller List

Join us in talking discussing all things Honor, including (but not limited to) tactics, favorite characters, and book discussions.
Re: The Honorverse Best Seller List
Post by cthia   » Fri Nov 04, 2016 10:51 am

cthia
Fleet Admiral

How To Marry A Queen
— Prince Justin

Aside:
I'd really like to know too. I'm sure this is my own baggage being hauled about. In the case of royalty needing to marry a commoner. Exactly how does that work at the social level of dating?

Americans, at least, are taught that the male is supposed to be the aggressor. And if the woman is the aggressor she is labeled with something not so nice. In matters of the throne, let's take Elizabeth. Who exactly was the aggressor? It would take a rather presumptuous male to approach Elizabeth and think he has a shot. That would leave the flirting and first move up to Elizabeth. In American social circles, Elizabeth would be seen as "wallowing in the mire."

Prince Charles would have no problem chasing Catherine. She qualified on beauty alone. Besides, men are judged by a different yardstick than women. Men are supposed to make the first move or the woman could be seen as 'throwing herself on him.' Therefore, if the roles were reversed, Catherine would probably have to make the first move.

As if, a commoner would have the nerve and audacity to think he's Princely material, or more to the point, think she would think he is Princely material.

It wouldn't exactly be as such in Manticoran society of course, yet by the same token she can't exactly chase just anyone. I'd imagine they'd have to be of economic substance, not to mention, in Justin's case, Princely material.

Yet at the ages most marriages happen, does not afford time enough for a commoner to become successful enough to be brought home to Mount Royal Palace to 'meet the folks.' Talk about sweating and dodging bullets! Or pulser fire rather! Meeting the royal parents and you work at McDonalds?

All seems to suggest to me that on Manticore, it is quite alright to be an aggressive woman - and not hail from Beowulf.

I'm not speaking of myself. Personally, I have never experienced any inadequacies in that area. In fact, before her untimely demise, I always knew for a fact that Princess Dianna was really meant for me - the Princely stud I am.

Talk about being full of yourself.

Son, your mother says I have to hang you. Personally I don't think this is a capital offense. But if I don't hang you, she's gonna hang me and frankly, I'm not the one in trouble. —cthia's father. Incident in ? Axiom of Common Sense
Post by George J. Smith   » Sat Nov 05, 2016 5:20 am

George J. Smith
Commodore

cthia wrote:How To Marry A Queen
— Prince Justin

Aside:
I'd really like to know too. I'm sure this is my own baggage being hauled about. In the case of royalty needing to marry a commoner. Exactly how does that work at the social level of dating?

Americans, at least, are taught that the male is supposed to be the aggressor. And if the woman is the aggressor she is labeled with something not so nice. In matters of the throne, let's take Elizabeth. Who exactly was the aggressor? It would take a rather presumptuous male to approach Elizabeth and think he has a shot. That would leave the flirting and first move up to Elizabeth. In American social circles, Elizabeth would be seen as "wallowing in the mire."

Prince Charles would have no problem chasing Catherine. She qualified on beauty alone. Besides, men are judged by a different yardstick than women. Men are supposed to make the first move or the woman could be seen as 'throwing herself on him.' Therefore, if the roles were reversed, Catherine would probably have to make the first move.

As if, a commoner would have the nerve and audacity to think he's Princely material, or more to the point, think she would think he is Princely material.

It wouldn't exactly be as such in Manticoran society of course, yet by the same token she can't exactly chase just anyone. I'd imagine they'd have to be of economic substance, not to mention, in Justin's case, Princely material.

Yet at the ages most marriages happen, does not afford time enough for a commoner to become successful enough to be brought home to Mount Royal Palace to 'meet the folks.' Talk about sweating and dodging bullets! Or pulser fire rather! Meeting the royal parents and you work at McDonalds?

All seems to suggest to me that on Manticore, it is quite alright to be an aggressive woman - and not hail from Beowulf.

I'm not speaking of myself. Personally, I have never experienced any inadequacies in that area. In fact, before her untimely demise, I always knew for a fact that Princess Dianna was really meant for me - the Princely stud I am.

Prince Charles married Diana, their 1st son William married Catherine.

As for EIII of Manticore, as a Princess she met Justin in a lab at the Landing University and he didn't know who she was until the security detail caught up with her and addressed her as Your Highness.
T&R
GJS

A man should live forever, or die in the attempt
Spider Robinson Callahan's Crosstime Saloon (1977) A voice is heard in Ramah
Post by Dauntless   » Sat Nov 05, 2016 10:32 am

Dauntless
Rear Admiral

just as he finished tearing a strip off her for being in a secure lab without permission.
Post by saber964   » Sat Nov 05, 2016 4:49 pm

saber964
Admiral

Dauntless wrote:just as he finished tearing a strip off her for being in a secure lab without permission.

And he arrival blowing a difficult experiment IIRC.
Post by saber964   » Sat Nov 05, 2016 5:02 pm

saber964
Admiral

— Prince Justin

Aside:

Actually not all that difficult apparently, look at the current royal families of Denmark Holland Spain Sweden and Norway.
Post by saber964   » Sat Nov 05, 2016 5:45 pm

saber964
Admiral

1001 recipes for Celery
By Tabitha DuPey
Post by cthia   » Sat Nov 05, 2016 6:05 pm

cthia
Fleet Admiral

George J. Smith wrote:
— Prince Justin

Aside:

As for EIII of Manticore, as a Princess she met Justin in a lab at the Landing University and he didn't know who she was until the security detail caught up with her and addressed her as Your Highness.

Sorry for the screwup George. My wife talks about them so much and I still can't seem to get any of them straight except the women. I just don't pay much attention to the blokes.

Son, your mother says I have to hang you. Personally I don't think this is a capital offense. But if I don't hang you, she's gonna hang me and frankly, I'm not the one in trouble. —cthia's father. Incident in ? Axiom of Common Sense
Post by cthia   » Sat Nov 05, 2016 6:23 pm

cthia
Fleet Admiral

George J. Smith wrote:
— Prince Justin

Aside:

It all makes sense now. You'd certainly have a much higher confidence rating of hitting on a Queen when you're not aware she's the Queen. Your lowness is going to approach Her Highness for a date?

And why was her security detail not by her side when some blubbering lab rat was scolding her with verbal abuse? He should have been pistol whipped.

It shouldn't be so easy for royalty to hit on a commoner either. "Ah, he ain't really interested, but rather trying to sow a few wild oats. And I ain't that wild."

There was an American movie, whose name and cast I can't recall at the mo, with a plot similar to that thought. A Prince goes after a girl, yet hides his credentials from her, because he didn't want it to frighten her away. And when she found out about it, via the press printing sordid little things about the Prince 'wallowing in the mire' she wanted to flee.

Ah! "The Prince and Me," with Julia Stiles. Exactly regarding the awkwardness regarding the social mechanics of that sort of dating and romance.

Can anyone recall the book regarding their meeting? And undoubtedly, his forcefulness was what excited Elizabeth. He exhibited the fervor of a Prince.

Post by cthia   » Sat Nov 05, 2016 7:02 pm

cthia
Fleet Admiral

saber964 wrote:1001 recipes for Celery
By Tabitha DuPey

You know saber, it'd be really nice if RFC included a passage of one of the 'cats favorite cooked celery dish. Perhaps some sort of a celery pâté. And the 'cats can be given a few tubes of "celery paste in space" tubes. Who says you can't eat from a toothpaste tube? Nimitz would be leaving discarded tubes of paste all over the ship. It is high time one of the chefs market something delicious for the 'cats.

I imagine it to be something like "Blood Pudding" mixed with celery. Something new to my culinary delight since marrying an English Princess myself. W/O the celery in my case.
http://www.wisegeek.org/what-is-blood-pudding.htm

Post by Dauntless   » Sun Nov 06, 2016 10:21 am

Dauntless
Rear Admiral

Citha wrote:Can anyone recall the book regarding their meeting?

there have been small mentions in a couple of places. probably the one with the most info is the one where we see King Roger die, it is in one of the short story anthologies, number 2 i think.

there is also a couple of paragraphs about the relationship in House of Steel, in the "I will build my house of Steel" short that opens the book.

Return to Honorverse