Topic Actions

Topic Search

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: George J. Smith and 149 guests

Shadow of Victory missing from the monthly bundle

Join us in talking discussing all things Honor, including (but not limited to) tactics, favorite characters, and book discussions.
Re: Shadow of Victory missing from the monthly bundle
Post by cthia   » Sat Aug 27, 2016 12:39 pm

cthia
Fleet Admiral

OrlandoNative wrote:
cthia wrote:I'm going to assume that you mean you'd rather initially read the digital copy as opposed to having the digital copy instead. Digital copies can be wiped out by a virus, hardware failure, etc. Pages are immune to any viruses.

Not to mention that eARCs don't look so impressive on my nice bookshelf.

They may be immune to viruses, but they aren't to bugs, worms, water leaks, and assorted other pests and occurrences.

Not to mention, as the next post on this thread noted, that they take up lots of room (which many folks may not have) and are much, much harder to transport.

I can put thousands of ebooks on a 16 or 32-gb micro SD card for my nook. Or, even, for my phone - UB Reader for Android is a very good app.

I would definitely buy a paperback over a hard cover any day, unless it's a reference manual of some sort that's likely to encounter rough or hard use. Even counting the cost of custom made shelving, I come out ahead of the cost of hard covers, and can shelve at least twice the number of books in the same space.

You don't have to tell me about the vulnerability of the "paper cuts" versions. One of my brothers was playing with sparklers and the ignoramus (my sister called him that LOL) lit one in his library. All was fine. Then he let a 1-yr-old neighbor's daughter hold one in her hand while he lit it with his. She quickly became afraid (they light so quickly that way and she wasn't quite prepared, already being nervous while holding it) and threw it in the air. It got lodged in the fire sensors and initiated the sprinkler system which did over 3 grand of damage to his library. Oops.

This is the information age. I am a staunch supporter of it. I love e-books. I just want my first read of my favorite authors to be replete with paper cuts and the rustling of pages. Especially in the winter snuggled by a crackling fireplace on the sofa. Although my fireplace doesn't crackle like my parents' did - gas powered.

I currently only purchase 128GB sd cards and thumb drives. I have thousands of ebooks on that card too, as well as the complete 50GB English version of Wikipedia, 5GB Wiktionary, wikibooks, etc., etc., etc. Casual research can be effected anywhere now.

Current digital technologies make a trip to the doctors' office an enjoyment. I'm actually a bit sad sometimes when they call for me while sitting in the waiting room, for that annual checkup.

That's another reason I don't like E-readers, they have an external memory card storage limit - if they even accept external microsd cards. Most do not accept an external card of 128GB. Most are limited to 32GB, at least they were.

Perhaps external storage capacity has improved. But E-readers would have to be able to handle ALL of my reading needs. Wikipedia, and Java capability is a must.

Last edited by cthia on Sun Aug 28, 2016 2:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Son, your mother says I have to hang you. Personally I don't think this is a capital offense. But if I don't hang you, she's gonna hang me and frankly, I'm not the one in trouble. —cthia's father. Incident in ? Axiom of Common Sense
Post by Vince   » Sat Aug 27, 2016 1:49 pm

Vince
Vice Admiral

cthia wrote:You don't have to tell me about the vulnerability of the "paper cuts" versions. One of my brothers was playing with sparklers and the ignoramus (my sister called him that LOL) lit one in his library. All was fine. Then he let a 1-yr-old neighbor's daughter hold one in her hand while he lit it with his (she quickly became afraid (they light so quickly that way and she wasn't quite prepared, already being nervous) while holding it and threw it in the air. It got lodged in the fire sensors and initiated the sprinkler system which did over 3 grand of damage to his library. Oops.

This is the information age. I am a staunch supporter of it. I love e-books. I just want my first read of my favorite authors to be replete with paper cuts and the rustling of pages. Especially in the winter snuggled by a crackling fireplace on the sofa. Although my fireplace doesn't crackle like my parents' did - gas powered.

I currently only purchase 128GB sd cards and thumb drives. I have thousands of ebooks on that card too, as well as the complete 50GB English version of Wikipedia, 5GB Wiktionary, wikibooks, etc., etc., etc. Casual research can be effected anywhere now.

Current digital technologies make a trip to the doctors' office an enjoyment. I'm actually a bit sad sometimes when they call for me while sitting in the waiting room, for that annual checkup.

That's another reason I don't like E-readers, they have an external memory card storage limit - if they even accept external microsd cards. Most do not accept an external card of 128GB. Most are limited to 32GB, at least they were.

Perhaps external storage capacity has improved. But E-readers would have to be able to handle ALL of my reading needs. Wikipedia, and Java capability is a must.

For long term storage, don't use flash media (SSDs, SD cards, USB flash (thumb) drives for unpowered, offline backup storage, or even regularly accessed storage. The electron charges will slowly discharge over time (the more bits you store in an individual cell, the less margin for error you have when you attempt to read it, meaning the smaller the flash drive/card and the higher the capacity, the faster the electron charge dissipates), rendering the data on the media either corrupt or unreadable over time. When an SSD flash drive* is powered on, it will occasionally read and rewrite the data as part of its behind the scene housekeeping, restoring the charge in the cells.

* By SSD flash drive, I mean one that is connected to a personal computer using a SATA (serial ATA) or later bus (and the PC is regularly powered on). USB flash drives (not USB hard disk drives), and SD flash memory cards+ do not have this automatic rewrite capability, it has to be done manually by the user.

A flash drive manufacturer on USB - How long will data stay valid for on a USB drive ?

+ I think of Honorverse data chips that are physically handed from person to person to transfer information as these.

By definition, any complete Wikipedia download is out of date the second you start the download. By the time you finish the download, it's even more out of date.
-------------------------------------------------------------
History does not repeat itself so much as it echoes.
Post by OrlandoNative   » Sat Aug 27, 2016 5:32 pm

OrlandoNative
Captain (Junior Grade)

Vince wrote:For long term storage, don't use flash media (SSDs, SD cards, USB flash (thumb) drives for unpowered, offline backup storage, or even regularly accessed storage. The electron charges will slowly discharge over time (the more bits you store in an individual cell, the less margin for error you have when you attempt to read it, meaning the smaller the flash drive/card and the higher the capacity, the faster the electron charge dissipates), rendering the data on the media either corrupt or unreadable over time. When an SSD flash drive* is powered on, it will occasionally read and rewrite the data as part of its behind the scene housekeeping, restoring the charge in the cells.

* By SSD flash drive, I mean one that is connected to a personal computer using a SATA (serial ATA) or later bus (and the PC is regularly powered on). USB flash drives (not USB hard disk drives), and SD flash memory cards+ do not have this automatic rewrite capability, it has to be done manually by the user.

A flash drive manufacturer on USB - How long will data stay valid for on a USB drive ?

+ I think of Honorverse data chips that are physically handed from person to person to transfer information as these.

By definition, any complete Wikipedia download is out of date the second you start the download. By the time you finish the download, it's even more out of date.

I use the microSD cards just for portability. They don't contain all my digital media, just what I might be reading or possibly want to re-read in the near future. The rest is stored on a mirrored-RAID Enterprise-level data storage appliance. It currently has about a 12tb capacity, but, since it's ZFS, NFS, and SMB-based, can be expanded up into the zeta-byte range. I have ebooks, music, videos, recorded TV shows, and images stored there.

I also have original CD's and DVD's of some of it. While those have a longer potential "life" than flash-based memory, they still have average life times less than most people will.

Most IT shops don't use SSD or other flash-based technology for long term storage anyway. They use it because of it's low latency for reading and writing; more as a temporary "cache" for highly referenced/updated data. Their "real" data storage usually consists of redundant storage; where RAID enables recovery in case of single component failure and local or remote replication handles situations where failures are more endemic.
"Yield to temptation, it may not pass your way again."
Post by dwmdw45   » Sat Aug 27, 2016 7:55 pm

dwmdw45
Ensign

OrlandoNative wrote:
munroburton wrote:
As you can see, you can't actually buy the eARC anymore once the proper ebook release(along with the dead-tree versions) are out.

I entirely agree about the 'upgrade to final version' comment. It happens with video games, so why not books?

That's true, but one nice thing about Baen's ebooks is that they never go "Out of Print" to an original purchaser. If you bought an ebook, and something happened to your copy, you can always sign in and download it again - even if it's no longer available for "first time" purchasers.

That said, I have to agree a bit about "upgrades", but, logically, if the eARC *was* upgraded to the final, ebook version, then it would no longer be a ARC, would it? It *would* be nice though if purchasing the eARC version allowed you to obtain the final ebook version for free or a very reduced price, however.

Have there been any significant changes to any of the Honorverse books between eARC and final version? My impression is that no, the only changes are editorial.

I ask because there are several books which I've read only in the eARC version, and I'm starting to wonder why you'd want to read the final version when you already have the eARC.
Post by Theemile   » Sat Aug 27, 2016 8:31 pm

Theemile
Fleet Admiral

dwmdw45 wrote:
Have there been any significant changes to any of the Honorverse books between eARC and final version? My impression is that no, the only changes are editorial.

I ask because there are several books which I've read only in the eARC version, and I'm starting to wonder why you'd want to read the final version when you already have the eARC.

Yes, in some cases several chapters were added. In At All Costs, a Hermes buoy went from being loaded in a cell of the Apollo pod to a specialized drone in system on it's own - very important chsnges for context.

In this case, there probably will not be a major change - the text is already going to the printers, and there eill not be time for major revisions.
RFC said "refitting a Beowulfan SD to Manticoran standards would be just as difficult as refitting a standard SLN SD to those standards. In other words, it would be cheaper and faster to build new ships."
Post by ksandgren   » Sat Aug 27, 2016 9:38 pm

ksandgren
Captain (Junior Grade)

dwmdw45 wrote:Have there been any significant changes to any of the Honorverse books between eARC and final version? My impression is that no, the only changes are editorial.

In "A Rising Thunder" a lot of background on the new crown princess and her relationship with Honor were added between the eARC and the final version.
Post by OrlandoNative   » Sat Aug 27, 2016 9:47 pm

OrlandoNative
Captain (Junior Grade)

dwmdw45 wrote:Have there been any significant changes to any of the Honorverse books between eARC and final version? My impression is that no, the only changes are editorial.

Since I usually get a copy of the eARC first, I don't generally buy print versions *new*. I usually get them from used book stores, thrift stores, or, occasionally if it's something I just can't find elsewhere, Amazon (not the new book listings). If all else fails and I really want a hardcopy right away, then I'll buy one new.

It's not that I don't want to support the authors, but, in my opinion, the price of a lot of print books is just a bit outrageous. To be sure, when I was a teenager, an average new book cost somewhere between $0.95 and $2. For someone with a voracious reading appetite and little income, even that was a huge problem. Luckily back then the Salvation Army thrift stores and Goodwill sold used paperbacks then for about a quarter. So even with an allowance or just mowing the neighbor's yard for $5, I could get a dozen books and still have a little left over.

Personally, I'd *LOVE* to see the authors sell their own ebook versions online, either individually or via some sort of collaborative website, at or maybe just a bit more than what they get per book sold from the publishers today. An ebook for $9.99, when the paperback version is the same price, seems excessive. The cost to make the ebook available is trivial compared to the cost of printing hardcopy. I sort of doubt the authors get a larger percentage of each ebook sale than they do other formats, either.

However, addressing the quoted post's subject directly, I get added entertainment from comparing the eARC to the final version. Mostly seeing what mistakes still slipped through the publisher's editors, but also partially to see what kinds of *story* changes are allowed between the eARC and the final version, since there really aren't supposed to *be* any after that point.
"Yield to temptation, it may not pass your way again."
Post by LTArmstrong   » Sun Aug 28, 2016 2:09 am

LTArmstrong
Lieutenant (Junior Grade)

richardinor wrote:I just downloaded the monthly bundle and Shadow of Victory is missing!!

I would like to return this post to the original subject of this post, rather than the high jacked "ebook vs paperbook" theme that has dominated this post for the last few days.

WHEN IS BAEN GOING TO RELEASE THE 1ST HALF OF "SHADOW OF VICTORY", WHICH I HAVE ALREADY PAID FOR, AND IS NOW PUSHING TWO WEEKS LATE, FROM THE ANNOUNCED RELEASE DATE?

The book has been turned in by RFC. Isn't it about time for Baen to put some thing up about the release date, other than "Delayed"?
Post by emphy   » Sun Aug 28, 2016 3:16 am

emphy
Midshipman

LTArmstrong wrote:...
WHEN IS BAEN GOING TO RELEASE THE 1ST HALF OF "SHADOW OF VICTORY", WHICH I HAVE ALREADY PAID FOR, AND IS NOW PUSHING TWO WEEKS LATE, FROM THE ANNOUNCED RELEASE DATE?

The book has been turned in by RFC. Isn't it about time for Baen to put some thing up about the release date, other than "Delayed"?

The page now says:
**Ebook coming soon.**

^_^
Post by Eagleeye   » Sun Aug 28, 2016 4:00 am

Eagleeye
Commodore

emphy wrote:
LTArmstrong wrote:...

The page now says:
**Ebook coming soon.**

^_^

It says that for nearly the same time as it said it is delayed. But the elfes at Baen had only 3 working days to work with the final manuscript, and to put 300,000 words, parted in probably 50+ chapters, in the different formats for the eARC may take some time; don't you think? Especially the making of the html-files could be time-consuming - after all, you have to divide the whole text in its single chapters, put everyone of them through the html-making process, check each chapter for obvious errors, correct these errors and link the chapters together for the html-version you want to publish.

But nonetheless, I hope, too, that we see the eARC on Monday ...

Return to Honorverse