Topic Actions

Topic Search

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Google [Bot] and 52 guests

Shadow of Victory Snippet #1

Join us in talking discussing all things Honor, including (but not limited to) tactics, favorite characters, and book discussions.
Re: Shadow of Victory Snippet #1
Post by roseandheather   » Sat Aug 13, 2016 4:28 pm

roseandheather
Admiral

Yes!! First snippet!!

Captivated of course, though reading it is a bit interesting when you never know who's lying - or how much - and have no idea how many names an individual character might go by. All part of the fun. :D

Can't wait for the next... or the one after that.... or the entire novel...... :mrgreen:
~*~

I serve at the pleasure of President Pritchart.

Javier & Eloise
"You'll remember me when the west wind moves upon the fields of barley..."
Post by kzt   » Sat Aug 13, 2016 4:29 pm

kzt
Fleet Admiral

Henry Brown wrote:Yes, I know he has been operating on OFS worlds. But those operations are not referred to in the snippet. The only references made are to his operations on Montana and Kornati. Which are part of the Talbott cluster and don't fall under OFS jurisdiction. What is the distinction you are talking about? Did I miss something?

There is a huge difference between somone employed by their government to incite insurgancies in foreign nations and being employed by a criminal organization to incite rebellions inside your nation.
Post by White Tallon   » Sat Aug 13, 2016 4:33 pm

White Tallon
Lieutenant (Junior Grade)

HA.... I KNEW I was important...

ok maybe not but since my birthday is August 12th I just have to say that snippets from my favorite author ... especially the FIRST snippets from 2 very anticipated books...

Well that's the best birthday present I've had in a while.

Thanks RFC
-

"No one can make you feel inferior without your consent."
Eleanor Roosevelt, 'This Is My Story,' 1937
Post by Henry Brown   » Sat Aug 13, 2016 5:08 pm

Henry Brown
Commodore

kzt wrote:There is a huge difference between somone employed by their government to incite insurgancies in foreign nations and being employed by a criminal organization to incite rebellions inside your nation.

Yes, I understand that difference. But where is it referred to in the snippet? He is reflecting on the failure of his operations in Montana and Kornati. Which are not part of the Solarian League. I did not see any reference to his more recent operations inside the SL.
Post by Crown Loyalist   » Sat Aug 13, 2016 5:16 pm

Crown Loyalist
Commander

Henry Brown wrote:
kzt wrote:There is a huge difference between somone employed by their government to incite insurgancies in foreign nations and being employed by a criminal organization to incite rebellions inside your nation.

Yes, I understand that difference. But where is it referred to in the snippet? He is reflecting on the failure of his operations in Montana and Kornati. Which are not part of the Solarian League. I did not see any reference to his more recent operations inside the SL.

The snippet takes place chronologically before his operations in the SL. You're seeing the moment he went from working for the SL to working against the SL.
Post by kzt   » Sat Aug 13, 2016 5:17 pm

kzt
Fleet Admiral

Henry Brown wrote:

Did you notice the date at the start?
Post by JohnRoth   » Sat Aug 13, 2016 5:17 pm

JohnRoth
Admiral

Henry Brown wrote:

There wouldn't be. He hasn't done them yet.

By the way to RFC: Thank You!
Post by Henry Brown   » Sat Aug 13, 2016 5:25 pm

Henry Brown
Commodore

kzt wrote:
Henry Brown wrote:Yes, I understand that difference. But where is it referred to in the snippet? He is reflecting on the failure of his operations in Montana and Kornati. Which are not part of the Solarian League. I did not see any reference to his more recent operations inside the SL.

Did you notice the date at the start?

No, I did not. I was so eager to start the snippet I skipped by that. Once you point that out, it all makes sense. :oops:
Post by richardinor   » Sat Aug 13, 2016 6:14 pm

richardinor
Commander

Baen show the first half of the book is scheduled for release with the bundle on Monday. RFC says he is still editing it. I am wondering if the bundle will be delayed. I bought the bundle yesterday hoping the to be able to start reading after work Monday.
Post by Rincewind   » Sat Aug 13, 2016 7:03 pm

Rincewind
Captain (Junior Grade)

Eagleeye wrote:1st - Thank you, David! Great snippet, by the way.

So, now we are a little bit back in time, before the tactical geniuses Josef Byng and Sandra Crandall appear on the stage ... I wonder, if we get some hint, how it was possible that Admiral Crandall apparently shot herself after the Battle of Spindle? The timeframe could be right that Mister Harahap was able to manage that job on Meyers and still be on Macintosh or Möbius in time for his appearances there, I think.

And I wonder, too, if Mr. Harahap will be able to discuss his actions in the Talbott-Cluster (or Möbius or Macintosh) with a certain Commodore (and/or a certain Ensign aka Flag Lieutenant) at the end of the book ... and if he survives this discussion.

Sandra Crandall 'apparently' shot herself whilst on her Flag Bridge on the SLNS Joseph Buckley after it had been crippled at the Battle of Spindle. So, unless he can teleport himself god knows how many light years, Damien Harahap could not have eliminated Sandra Crandall.

It would be nice to find out how she died though.

Return to Honorverse