Topic Actions

Topic Search

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 25 guests

Shadow of Victory Snippet #1

Join us in talking discussing all things Honor, including (but not limited to) tactics, favorite characters, and book discussions.
Re: Shadow of Victory Snippet #1
Post by Theemile   » Sat Aug 13, 2016 12:36 am

Theemile
Fleet Admiral

Thanks David!

Sorry, I hate to ask, but what is the First Reader's List (other than the obvious definition)? I've been following your works and active on the forums for >15 years and this is the first reference to it I've heard.
RFC said "refitting a Beowulfan SD to Manticoran standards would be just as difficult as refitting a standard SLN SD to those standards. In other words, it would be cheaper and faster to build new ships."
Post by kzt   » Sat Aug 13, 2016 12:50 am

kzt
Fleet Admiral

For most authors it is a small group of trusted friends who know the series well and get sent new material to spot errors and give honest and useful feedback. Part of the trusted bit is that they don't talk about it.
Post by Theemile   » Sat Aug 13, 2016 12:53 am

Theemile
Fleet Admiral

kzt wrote:For most authors it is a small group of trusted friends who know the series well and get sent new material to spot errors and give honest and useful feedback. Part of the trusted bit is that they don't talk about it.

Which would explain why I havn't heard of it.

Now, I just need to work on the "friends" and "trusted" bit.
RFC said "refitting a Beowulfan SD to Manticoran standards would be just as difficult as refitting a standard SLN SD to those standards. In other words, it would be cheaper and faster to build new ships."
Post by Eagleeye   » Sat Aug 13, 2016 6:44 am

Eagleeye
Commodore

1st - Thank you, David! Great snippet, by the way.

So, now we are a little bit back in time, before the tactical geniuses Josef Byng and Sandra Crandall appear on the stage ... I wonder, if we get some hint, how it was possible that Admiral Crandall apparently shot herself after the Battle of Spindle? The timeframe could be right that Mister Harahap was able to manage that job on Meyers and still be on Macintosh or Möbius in time for his appearances there, I think.

And I wonder, too, if Mr. Harahap will be able to discuss his actions in the Talbott-Cluster (or Möbius or Macintosh) with a certain Commodore (and/or a certain Ensign aka Flag Lieutenant) at the end of the book ... and if he survives this discussion.
Post by Nico   » Sat Aug 13, 2016 7:27 am

Nico
Lieutenant (Senior Grade)

Already put money aside for the EARC. So glad to see that it promises to be an exciting and entertaining investment.
Post by Somtaaw   » Sat Aug 13, 2016 9:36 am

Somtaaw
Rear Admiral

Well this certainly explains how Damien Harahap went from Gendarmerie to MAlign agitator. That was always a big question how he went from agitating Kornati and Montana, to the rest.

Dodging an assassination squad, from what you thought was your own side would certainly be a motivator to turn jackets, as both Caslet and Yu can attest to.
Post by noblehunter   » Sat Aug 13, 2016 12:28 pm

noblehunter
Captain (Junior Grade)

Part of the problem with making a habit of giving bit characters a lot of backstory is that it's hard to tell if one is supposed to recognize the new guy.

Otherwise, cool. Though I hope that since Harahap is going into storage means time will progress quickly.
Post by Henry Brown   » Sat Aug 13, 2016 3:02 pm

Henry Brown
Commodore

Somtaaw wrote:Well this certainly explains how Damien Harahap went from Gendarmerie to MAlign agitator. That was always a big question how he went from agitating Kornati and Montana, to the rest.

Dodging an assassination squad, from what you thought was your own side would certainly be a motivator to turn jackets, as both Caslet and Yu can attest to.

Harahap's recruitment by the MA was covered in The Shadow of Saganami. There was a scene where he met with his commander, Major Eichbauer, Aldona Anisimovna, and Isabel Bardasano. As alluded to in the snippet, his commander "suggested" he take a vacation and that he could help them while off duty.
Post by Duckk   » Sat Aug 13, 2016 3:23 pm

Duckk
Site Admin

Henry Brown wrote:Harahap's recruitment by the MA was covered in The Shadow of Saganami. There was a scene where he met with his commander, Major Eichbauer, Aldona Anisimovna, and Isabel Bardasano. As alluded to in the snippet, his commander "suggested" he take a vacation and that he could help them while off duty.

There's a subtle but critical distinction here. In SoS, Harahap was doing exaclty what the Gendarmie has been (unofficially) doing for years: getting in bed with the transtellars to push Verge systems into the arms of OFS. He was not recruited for the Alignment at this point, he was merely a distant cutout.

By the time SoF rolls around, we saw that he had become a distant member of the Alignment. He's clearly operating under the Alignment's orders by fomenting rebellions on OFS worlds. It was never clear how he made that jump from Gendarmerie to Alignment, until now.
-------------------------
Shields at 50%, taunting at 100%! - Tom Pope
Post by Henry Brown   » Sat Aug 13, 2016 4:14 pm

Henry Brown
Commodore

Duckk wrote:There's a subtle but critical distinction here. In SoS, Harahap was doing exaclty what the Gendarmie has been (unofficially) doing for years: getting in bed with the transtellars to push Verge systems into the arms of OFS. He was not recruited for the Alignment at this point, he was merely a distant cutout.

By the time SoF rolls around, we saw that he had become a distant member of the Alignment. He's clearly operating under the Alignment's orders by fomenting rebellions on OFS worlds. It was never clear how he made that jump from Gendarmerie to Alignment, until now.

Yes, I know he has been operating on OFS worlds. But those operations are not referred to in the snippet. The only references made are to his operations on Montana and Kornati. Which are part of the Talbott cluster and don't fall under OFS jurisdiction. What is the distinction you are talking about? Did I miss something?

Return to Honorverse