Topic Actions

Topic Search

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 165 guests

New Mandarin Doctrine - a Deliverance

Join us in talking discussing all things Honor, including (but not limited to) tactics, favorite characters, and book discussions.
New Mandarin Doctrine - a Deliverance
Post by cthia   » Mon Aug 01, 2016 4:29 pm

cthia
Fleet Admiral

A lifesaving MANDARIN DOCTRINE?

Daud al-Fanudahi has the key to save the League. Just as it took so long for Pritchart to tell Elizabeth about the forged documents, if the galaxy at large is made privy to what Daud suspects... Perhaps someone is willing to listen. We know the GA would. Since Rajani committed the obese form of American hari kari -- to die from something you ate -- even Kingsford is daring to speak more frankly w/o being shy and they are eating it up.

I think the Mandarins could save themselves if they'd only admit Mesan duplicity. It worked for Eloise. This is all deja vuey to me. Throughout the entire ordeal of Eloise overthinking it and withholding the truth about the forged documents, I was all "Just tell it already!" I was right.

Honestly, I see this as an out for the Mandarins. They can save themselves and the League and rally the citizens behind them and get the purse strings loosened for that new navy they so desperately need. They can spout anger at the truth and the fact that they are the victim as well, as Haven and Manticore, and are part of the premeditated plans of this Mesan Alignment. Could even the GA act against them after that public admission? After all, they were duped as well. They might even get away w/o paying reparations. Even for Sigbee's ships - since Mesan duplicity is obviously behind that too. Daud al-Fanudahi has also figured out that there's truth in them 'thar' hills regarding Mesan mind control nanites.

At any rate. It seems that the Mandarins should welcome this knowledge, even if it isn't true. It would get them off the hook in every way. They cannot be held accountable for such gargantuan mistakes if Eloise and Elizabeth aren't. Blame it all on the Mesans. It just so happens that that's where the blame indeed lies.

Therefore, it seems to me that the Mandarins should jump on the bandwagon and adopt their own inner onion of a long term plan to save the League, remove their own asses out of the hot seat, douse the fire between them and the GA and adhere to a long term plan of rebuilding themselves with steroidal injections of new tech to become an even bigger and badder King Kong.

That way they can even save face and not appear weak. What would that do to the Harrington Plan then if it is exercised against a "repentant" League? Allow Beowulf to secede and work on keeping the rest of the League intact. They still have the Navy to do that.

Manticore may not like it, but what would they realistically be able to do? Besides, if they really work together, they all just might unravel the mystery of this MAlign with enough tidbits hidden away in that very interesting file room mentioned at the beginning of Chapter 30 - and isn't it just swell that Daud al-Fanudahi didn't throw anything away?

I've even marked the passage where a parallel of a Giancola-like scapegoat is produced in one Rajampet. The same lightning strikes twice :!: :!:

It's a sound doctrine, I tell you. It'll work.

The long post that follows is simply to highlight supporting passages and for convenience only. Beginning here in Chapter Twenty Seven of ART...
"What I want to know is what thee hell Filareta thought he was doing,” Kolokoltsov said flatly.

He’d replayed the recordings the Manties had sent along with Eleventh Fleet’s preliminary casualty reports again and again, seen the exchange between that cold-blooded bitch Harrington and Filareta. Kolokoltsov was no trained naval officer, but it had been obvious even to him that unless Harrington was lying—and she hadn’t been; that much should certainly have been clear to Filareta—Eleventh Fleet had stood the proverbial chance of a snowball in hell. She’d had him—had him dead to rights—and she’d given him the option of surrendering, but the maniac had chosen to fire instead!

“I don’t know what he was thinking,” MacArtney admitted bitterly. “And nobody ever will, now.”

“And Rajani still hasn’t managed to get Imogene Tsang to Old Chicago where we could ask her exactly what her orders in Beowulf were, either, has he?” Quartermain observed. She glanced at Kolokoltsov from the corner of one eye. “She was a hell of a lot more confrontational than she was supposed to be. I can’t help wondering if maybe her instructions—and Filareta’s—might not have included a couple of clauses we didn’t know about.”

“I can see where you’d wonder that,” MacArtney acknowledged, “but I don’t think that’s what happened. Not in Filareta’s case, anyway. I don’t know what the hell did happen, but I have—had, I suppose—met him, and he wasn’t the kind to commit suicide on someone else’s orders, no matter who the someone who gave them might be.”

“Even if that is exactly what he did.” Abruzzi shook his head when MacArtney stabbed another sharp look in his direction. “I’m not arguing with your analysis of his character, Nathan. I’m just saying something caused him to commit suicide.”

“Oh, for God’s sake, Malachai!” Quartermain said disgustedly. “Please don’t climb on the Manties’ mind-control nanotech bandwagon!”

“I have no intention of doing anything of the sort, Omosupe,” Abruzzi replied coldly. “First, because the entire notion is ridiculous. But, second, because even suggesting there might be something to the Manties’ claims in that regard would be the first step in legitimizing all their other claims about this ‘Mesan Alignment’ and the way we’ve been allowing it to manipulate us.”

“Well, we’re going to have to issue some kind of statement,” Wodoslawski pointed out. “The Manties’ recordings of Harrington’s conversation with Filareta are already hitting the news channels, and they make it pretty damn clear she gave him every opportunity to surrender, and he chose to fire on her instead. I hate to say it, but that’s pretty damning evidence of who’s to blame for this massacre.”

“And it’s only a matter of time before Felicia Hadley starts screaming about it in the Assembly,” Kolokoltsov agreed. “She’s been justifying Beowulf’s opposition to Tsang’s passage on the argument that Beowulf’s refusal actually saved the lives of Tsang’s crews. What happened to Filareta’s only going to strengthen her position in that regard.”

snip

"You know, that’s what bothers me the most,” Wodoslawski admitted. “It was Pritchart who brought this to the Manties, not the other way around. I agree it’s nonsense, but if Haven really believes it…”

================================================

Chapter Thirty - ART

It was very quiet in the file room.

People seldom came here, which was hardly surprising. The huge, cool chamber buried deep under the Solarian League Navy’s primary headquarters building was only one of several dozen given over to storage of backup records of critical files. Theoretically critical, at any rate. Although this particular storage chamber—Records Room 7-191-002-A—was carried on the Navy’s Facilities List as an active records repository, it was actually an archive. The “youngest” record in it was over eighty T-years old, which made it of purely historical interest even for something with the SLN’s elephantine bureaucracy and ponderous, nitpicking mentality.
Despite the age of the data stored in its files, the fact that it was listed as an active records repository meant not just anybody could come wandering in. Admittance required a certain level of clearance, which the four people who’d gathered there all happened to possess. Not that any of their superiors would have approved of their visit if they’d known about it.

Hopefully, none of them ever would.

“Damn,” one of the intruders said mildly, looking around at row after row of computer chip storage drawers. There were even what looked like filing cabinets for paper copies towards the rear of the room, and he shook his head. “This looks like a thoroughly useless pile of Navy crap, Daud. And a big one, too. Don’t you people ever throw anything out?”

The speaker was a tallish fellow in the uniform of the Solarian Marine Corps. He had wheat-colored hair, green eyes, and the collar insignia of a major. His right shoulder carried the flash of Marine Intelligence, technically a component command of the Office of Naval Intelligence, since the Navy was the Solarian League’s senior service. In fact, Marine Intelligence had gone its own way long ago, operating in its own specialized world—one the Navy had never understood…and one where reasonably accurate intelligence was critical.

Very funny, Bryce,” Captain Daud al-Fanudahi said dryly. He was several centimeters shorter than the Marine and as dark as the major was fair. “And, yes, we do occasionally throw things out. Usually when keeping them might cause embarrassment for a senior officer. Wouldn’t want to have any unfortunate evidence lying around for the court-martial, after all.”

-SNIP-

Sorry about that,” al-Fanudahi said with a trace of genuine apology. “I thought it was funny, but I can see where not everyone might share my sense of humor in this case.”

“If there’s a word of truth to your suspicions, I don’t think anyone’s going to think it’s funny at all,” the fourth member of their group said. She was easily the smallest of the foursome and only a very little older than Teague. She wore the uniform of the Solarian Gendarmerie with lieutenant colonel’s insignia, and she had a sandalwood complexion, almond-shaped eyes, and close-cropped hair dark as midnight.
“Frankly, what I’m hoping is that you’re going to turn out to be a totally off-the-wall, lunatic nutcase, despite Major Tarkovsky’s having vouched for you,” she went on, waving one hand at the Marine Major, and her voice was hard. “Unfortunately, I don’t think you are. Not totally off-the-wall, at any rate.”
“I’d like to be wrong myself, Colonel Okiku,” al-Fanudahi said somberly. “I’m not, though. Mind you, I’m nowhere close to having all the answers—or even most of the answers—but I think I’ve least figured out the questions we need to be asking ourselves.”

-SNIP-

Still Daud speaking...
“Unfortunately, I had this odd idea that since we were the Office of Operational Analysis, we might actually try doing some analysis of real operational data. So I started poking my nose into things people probably wished I’d have left well enough alone, and I really irritated Vice Admiral Hoover. For some reason, she seemed to feel my interest in such matters suggested Technical Analysis hadn’t been doing its job very well. Go figure.”

He smiled crookedly.

“In the course of my journey into unpopularity, I began to realize reports of new Manticoran and Havenite weapons developments and new tactical and strategic doctrines had been systematically suppressed. They didn’t suit the party line, and our own prejudices—our certainty that we had to have the best tech anywhere—created a natural set of blinders. That can happen to anyone, I suppose, but no one was even trying to allow for the problem or get past it to look at what was really happening, and at least some of it was deliberate, coming from people protecting their own little patches of turf. People like Admiral Polydoru over at Systems Development, for example, where any suggestion we might be dropping behind was anathema. Or, for that matter, Vice Admiral Hoover’s people, who seemed more concerned with establishing that they hadn’t missed any significant new developments than with figuring out whether or there’d been any new developments. And no one was even worried about the implications. It couldn’t really matter what a bunch of neobarbs was up to, after all. Couldn’t have any significance for the Solarian League, now could it?”

Continuing in line without break. Within this passage a scapegoat is produced in one Admiral Rajampet. The Giancola of the SL?

He shook his head, his expression disgusted.

“I’ll admit it took me years to get to the point of realizing how bad things were myself, and I was at least trying to do my job, so I suppose I shouldn’t have been too surprised at what happened when I started suggesting we might want to look a little more closely at those ridiculous rumors. What did happen, of course, was that my career prospects took a sudden turn for the worse. I was already on the Admiralty’s shit list because I’d been making waves at OpAn; the suggestion that there could be anything at all to the stories about new Manticoran missiles or inertial compensators only made it worse. Fortunately, I’d at least been smart enough not to hand over the actual reports I’d collected. As long as I was only suggesting there were vague rumors that should be looked into, I was a nuisance and a crackpot but not an active threat to anyone’s career. They were satisfied to tuck me away in my dead-end little assignment and ignore me
“That, alas, was when Irene fell into my clutches.”

He smiled suddenly at Teague.

“It took me a while to corrupt her properly, but after I’d exposed her to those toxic reports I’d collected, she caught the same leprosy I had. I managed to convince her to keep her mouth shut, though. Having one of us on the lunatic list was bad enough, and I figured if and when the centicredit finally dropped, ONI was going to need someone who had a clue. Since I also figured one of the first things they’d do would be to give me the ax for having dared to be right when the Powers That Be had been wrong, I hoped keeping her out of the line of fire would let her be that someone with a clue. Then this whole situation with the Manties blew up, seemingly out of nowhere, and all of a sudden people like Admiral Thimár were actually asking me for briefings.

“Not that it did Eleventh Fleet any damned good.”

His smile vanished abruptly.

“I did my best to convince Jennings, Bernard, and Kingsford the whole idea was insane, but they weren’t interested in listening. Bernard, in particular, seemed especially eager to push Raging Justice as a viable strategic option, and she didn’t want to hear anything that might have thrown cold water on her proposal.”

He paused, one eyebrow arched, and Okiku nodded. She was Gendarmerie, not military, but she recognized the names. Fleet Admiral Evangeline Bernard was the CO over at the Office of Strategy and Planning. Fleet Admiral Winston Kingsford was the commander of Battle Fleet, which made him second only to Chief of Naval Operations Rajampet in the SLN’s hierarchy, and Admiral Willis Jennings was Kingsford’s chief of staff.

“Kingsford seemed a little more doubtful,” al-Fanudahi continued, “but he wasn’t arguing, and he wasn’t pushing for more information. That led me to conclude that the mastermind really behind it all was Admiral Rajampet himself. I think Bernard really believed her own arguments about the Manties’ morale being on the edge of collapse after that attack on their home system, but she wouldn’t have pushed it that hard if it hadn’t been sponsored from on high. And if Kingsford was less than wildly enthusiastic, that really left only one person who could be doing the pushing.”

“If it was Rajampet’s idea, why not push it himself?” Okiku asked.

Doesn’t work that way, Natsuko,” Tarkovsky said. “It’s called deniability. I hope Daud and Irene won’t get too pissed with me for pointing this out, but the Navy’s a hell of a lot more of a bureaucracy than a fighting machine these days, and creating the right paper trail’s more important than formulating the best strategy. If Rajampet could get Bernard to push the Raging Justice concept from below, he could ‘endorse’ it without owning responsibility for it. He was simply listening to his subordinates—the subordinates who were supposed to be making strategy recommendations, giving him a menu of options, for that matter—like a good officer. And in a way, Bernard was protected, too. She’d recommended the strategy, but she had no authority to implement it. The decision to adopt her recommendation lay with the operational commanders—who always had the option of not adopting it—so once Rajampet signed off on it, she didn’t own it, either. That meant responsibility could be dropped somewhere between her desk and his, without splashing on the career of either of them, if it went sour.”

Okiku looked at him for a moment, as if she suspected he was pulling her leg. Then she shrugged and turned back to al-Fanudahi.

“I’ll accept it works the way Bryce has just explained, Captain. But I don’t think you arranged this thoroughly clandestine and conspiratorial meeting just to complain about having your advice ignored.”

“No, I didn’t,” al-Fanudahi agreed grimly.

“The thing is, Colonel, that it’s part of a pattern. Oh, I keep reminding myself never to ascribe to malice—or enemy action—what can be explained by good old-fashioned incompetence and bureaucratic inertia. And when you crank in Navy nepotism, cronyism, corruption, graft, and careerism, you can explain pretty much anything without requiring some kind of malign outside influence. But there’s more to it this time.”

He paused, clearly hesitating, and Okiku smiled thinly.

“Let me guess, Captain al-Fanudahi. You’re about to suggest to me that the Manties’ allegations of ‘malign outside influence’ in the form of this Mesan Alignment of theirs was responsible for it?”

“To some extent, yes,” he said, and paused again, watching her expression closely.

“I hope you realize how thoroughly insane that sounds,” she said after a moment. “And despite the strictly limited faith I normally put in Education and Information’s version of galactic events, the notion that Manticore’s fabricated all of this to cover its own actions and ambitions actually seems more likely than that anyone could have carried off some kind of interstellar conspiracy for so many T-centuries without anyone catching them at it. Permanent Senior Undersecretary Abruzzi’s argument that the Manties’ claims would only be expected out of someone who actually was responsible for at least enabling the Ballroom to carry out the Green Pines bombing hangs together pretty well, too.”

“I see,” al-Fanudahi said flatly.

“My problem here, Captain,” Okiku continued, “is that I have a naturally suspicious mind. It’s the reason I went into the Criminal Investigation Division. Well, that and the fact that I was never particularly interested in breaking heads out in the Protectorates for the greater glory of the Office of Frontier Security.” She grimaced impatently. “I have the sort of brain that gets suspicious when things hang together too well. It’s a useful sort of mindset when you start picking apart suspects’ alibis. And I’ve discovered that if it hangs together too perfectly to be true, it probably isn’t. True, I mean. Real life tends to be sloppy, not neat and tidy.”

“I see,” al-Fanudahi repeated in a rather different tone, and she gave him a quick, fleeting smile.

“Don’t get me wrong,” she cautioned. “I’m not about to buy any magic beans from you, Captain. If you want to bring me onboard, you’re going to have to do better than offering me some unsubstantiated suspicions. On the other hand, Bryce here”—she twitched her head in Tarkovsky’s direction—“vouches for you, and I consider him a pretty good character witness. So that’s going to buy you at least some credibility.”

“I’ll try not to abuse Bryce’s confidence,” al-Fanudahi promised.

“Good. And now, you were saying…?”

“I have no idea at this point how much of what the Manties are selling is accurate,” al-Fanudahi said. “I do know I haven’t been able to come up with any reason the Star Kingdom—or the Star Empire, I suppose, now—should deliberately pick a fight with the League, though. I also know Josef Byng was an anti-Manty bigot who couldn’t have poured piss out of a boot if it had the instructions printed on the heel, and when it came to finding her ass with both hands, Sandra Crandall was even worse, assuming that was humanly possible. I can’t conceive of a more disastrous choice of commanders for an area where tensions were running high, yet somehow they both ended up out in the Talbott Quadrant. And I’ve gone back and looked at Crandall’s deployment plan. She was scheduled for her ‘training exercise’ before the Battle of Monica. I haven’t been able to verify whether or not Byng had already been selected for his command at that point, as well. I suspect he had been, although I’m trying to keep an open mind on that point, but it was definitely true for her. So supposing there was any truth to my suspicions that someone besides Manticore was stirring the pot out in Talbott, it was obvious it had to be someone with a lot of juice.

“Then there was Filareta’s fortuitous deployment to Tasmania. You probably don’t realize how unusual concentrations of ships-of-the-wall that big really are, Colonel. I, on the other hand, went back and checked the records. There have been exactly five deployments of seventy or more wallers—including Crandall’s and Filareta’s—in the last two hundred and forty-three T-years, and we have both of them taking place simultaneously.”

“Suggestive, yes,” Okiku said thoughtfully, “but still only speculative.”

“Agreed.” Al-Fanudahi nodded. “But that’s where Bryce comes in.”

“Bryce?” Okiku sounded a bit surprised and cocked her head at the Marine.

“I know you’re aware Marine Intelligence is under the ONI umbrella, Natsuko,” he said. “What you may not be aware of, since we don’t exactly advertise it, is that we’re a pretty independent outfit. There are a lot of reasons for that, but, frankly, the main one is that we got dropped in the crapper once too often by faulty Navy intelligence. We got tired of taking it in the neck because a bunch of Navy pukes—no offense, Daud and Irene—didn’t know their asses from their elbows where ground operations were concerned. Things work a lot better with us handling our own intel functions, and Frontier Fleet got behind us and supported us because they’re the ones who usually have to carry the can from the Navy side when something goes wrong in a joint operation.”

It was his turn to pause, one eyebrow crooked, and she nodded a bit impatiently to show she understood.

“Well, there’s another side to it, too,” he said, his tone considerably flatter. “I know you’re aware of the kind of shit the Gendarmerie gets involved in out in the Protectorates. Trust me, what the Corps gets handed can be even worse, and sometimes the poor SOB theoretically in command of the ground op doesn’t have any idea what kind of snake pit he’s about to drop his Marines into. What with transstellars in bed with OFS, local collaborators eager to sell out for the best price they can get, and poor damned bastards too dumb to realize they can’t fight, it can turn into a cluster fuck in nothing flat. Because of that, one of the things we try to do is keep track of as many players as possible. In fact, for the last fifteen or twenty T-years, Brigadier Osterhaut’s been keeping track of as many Navy players as possible. An awful lot of senior flag officers have crawled into bed with the rest of the bottom feeders, and she likes to be able to give our Marine expeditionary force COs at least an unofficial, ‘we-never-had-this-conversation’ heads-up if one of the senior Navy officers involved in his operation has irons of his own in the fire.”

He paused again, waiting until she nodded once more. It was a slower nod, this time—a thoughtful, considering one.

“I’ve been the Brigadier’s point man on the garbage detail for several T-years,” Tarkovsky told her. “As a matter of fact, that’s how I first met Daud. And we’ve got some interesting dossiers in our burn-before-reading files. For example, we had dossiers on both Sandra Crandall and Admiral Filareta.” His expression twisted in distaste. “Neither of them was any great prize, and some of the things we found out about Filareta are enough to make your stomach crawl. But the other thing we found out about them is that both of them had close connections—primarily financial in Crandall’s case; a bit more…complicated in Filareta’s—with Manpower of Mesa.”

Okiku’s eyes widened, and he nodded.

“Both of them, Natsuko. And both of them just happened to find themselves in command of major fleet deployments within striking distance of Manty territory when Mesa started getting nervous about Manty expansion in its direction. We’re not sure about Byng. We know he had connections with some of the transstellars, but we haven’t been able to find a direct link between him and Mesa. On the other hand, given his attitude towards Manties, it wouldn’t have taken very much to convince him to go out and make trouble for them.”

“And speaking as someone who’s spent a few T-weeks pulling the records and analyzing Byng’s career—and his performance in exercises—” al-Fanudahi put in, “he would have been the perfect choice to do exactly what Mesa wanted even without having knowingly signed on for it. He hated the Manties with a passion and he had even more contempt for them than most Battle Fleet officers. Get him into the vicinity of any of their naval forces, and he could be absolutely relied upon to provoke an incident—almost certainly a disastrous incident, from our perspective, given his towering incompetence—right on schedule. Especially if someone was manipulating the situation the way the Manties claim Mesa was.”

“With Crandall parked close enough at hand to sweep up the pieces after he got himself reamed,” Okiku said slowly, her eyes intently narrowed.

“Or to get herself reamed as a way to pump extra hydrogen into the fire,” Irene Teague suggested softly. Okiku looked at her sharply, and the Frontier Fleet captain shrugged. “I thought Daud was out of his mind when he first suggested that possibility, Colonel. But the more I thought about it, the more likely it seemed. And then this brilliant idea of sending Eleventh Fleet out to repeat Crandall’s experience on a grander scale came along.”

“You’re suggesting someone deliberately got all those spacers killed by maneuvering the Navy into battles it couldn’t win? Is that what you’re saying?”

“That’s what I’ve started to think, at any rate,” al-Fanudahi admitted somberly. “It didn’t make any sense to me at first, though. Why would Manpower, which has always hated the Manties—and vice versa—arrange an anti-Manty strategy that wasn’t going to work? Anybody willing to make a fortune off something as disgusting as the genetic slave trade probably isn’t going to lose any sleep over getting a few million Solarian spacers killed, but what was the point? Manticore basically only had to reload between engagements. We were that outclassed, and I couldn’t convince myself that anybody able to arrange something like this could have had such piss-poor intelligence they wouldn’t realize what was going to happen.”

“From what you’re saying, we didn’t realize it,” Okiku pointed out.

“No, but if my suspicions were correct, we didn’t arrange it, either,” he retorted. “And then, after Spindle, there was that ‘mystery attack’ on the Manties’ home system. Trust me, Colonel, that wasn’t us. We don’t have a clue how whoever it was pulled it off, and there’s no way in hell we could’ve done the same thing. One thing that’s just become pretty damned painfully obvious, however, is that Admiral Thimár’s theory that whoever did it had to have crippled the Manties’ defenses on his way in was out to lunch. But the salient point that occurred to me was that if it wasn’t us, it was almost certainly Manpower, unless I wanted to assume there was yet another third-party out there who had it in for Manticore. Only if Manpower had that sort of resources, then it hadn’t needed us in the first place.”

“You’re making my head hurt, Captain,” Okiku complained, and he snorted.

“I had my own share of headaches trying to work my way through all of this in the first place, Colonel Okiku,” he assured her.

“So where is all of it going?” she asked.

“Until the Manties and the Havenites dropped their little bombshell about this ‘Mesan Alignment,’ I really only had what I suppose you’d have to call a gut feeling,” he said. “The only thing I could come up with was that for some reason whoever was really orchestrating all of this wanted the League involved. And the truth is we’ve become so frigging corrupt it wouldn’t have been all that hard to arrange, especially when no one had any reason to see this coming. Just three or four senior flag officers could have put the whole thing together, if they were the right senior officers. A half-dozen would’ve been more than enough.

“But if whoever the plotters were realized how thoroughly we were outclassed by the Manties, then they couldn’t have expected us to take them out. Not quickly or cleanly, anyway. Not without a hell of a lot of losses of our own. So why throw us into the mix at all?

“I’d already begun to suspect—that ‘gut feeling’ I mentioned—that the Manties weren’t the real target. Or, at least, not the only target. And like I told Irene at the time, the only other target on the range was us. It seemed ridiculous, but it was the only conclusion I could come up with.

“And then Pritchart announced there was this vast interstellar conspiracy which had targeted both the Star Empire and the Republic of Haven. One which—assuming there was any real basis for her claims—was obviously manipulating the League’s policies. And one which obviously had its own idea of how the galaxy’s power structure should be arranged…which probably didn’t include the conspirators’ playing second fiddle to the League indefinitely.”

“Are you seriously suggesting that this conspiracy the Manties and the Havenites are talking about not only exists but is also aimed at destroying the Solarian League, as well as the Manties?”

“I’m not sure it wants to destroy the League,” al-Fanudahi responded. “I do think it wants to cripple us, maybe break us up, though.” He waved both hands in frustration. “Look at what’s happening! The Navy’s taking it in the ear; the Manties’ closure of the wormhole networks means the League’s economy is about to be hammered like it’s never been hammered before; and we’re heading into a full-blown constitutional crisis. For the first time in T-centuries, people are actually talking about the Constitution…and the fact that we haven’t paid any damned attention to it in the last six or seven hundred years. And don’t think for a minute that the beating we’ve taken from the Manties isn’t going to send tidal waves through the Verge and the Protectorates, Colonel Okiku. It is—believe me, it is! And when all hell breaks loose out there, and when the Core Worlds start looking at the worst recession they’ve ever seen and blaming it all on the policy of a bunch of unelected bureaucrats, I think it’s entirely possible we’re going to start shedding member systems. For that matter, I think it’s possible we’re going to see the entire federal government melt down completely. I know that seems preposterous—we’re talking about the Solarian League—but it really could happen.”

He stopped talking, and silence hovered in the records storage room for long, fragile seconds. Then Okiku shook her head.

“My God,” she said softly. “No wonder people think you’re a fucking lunatic! But you really could be right.” She shook her head again, her expression an odd mix of wonder and fear. “You could.”

“Believe me, there’s nothing I’d like better than to be wrong,” he told her equally softly.

“So why bring me in on it?” she asked after a moment. “Trust me, I’m not going to be thanking you for it. If there’s anything at all to this theory of yours, whoever the conspirators are—‘Mesan Alignment’ or someone else entirely—they sure as hell aren’t shy about killing people. I’d just as soon not give them a reason to add me to their list.”

“You and me both,” al-Fanudahi said feelingly. Then he shrugged. “The problem is, they have to be tied in at the highest levels, and I don’t have a clue how to find them. I’m an intelligence analyst, not a criminal investigator. I truly think—I’m truly afraid—I’m onto something here, but I don’t have a clue how to go about investigating it, and the Office of Counter Intelligence has been basically a place to park people with more family connections than competence for decades. Rear Admiral Yau’s abilities are…less than stellar, let’s say, and the rest of his section takes its cue from him. For that matter, if I were out to engineer the covert penetration of another navy, the very first place I’d set up shop would be inside that other navy’s counter intelligence service in order to make sure my operatives didn’t get caught. I don’t dare hand this to OCI without at least some idea of who’s in whose pocket, and I can’t just go to Justice or hand it over to the JAG for investigation without going to OCI first. The procedures simply aren’t there, and it would just get kicked back to Yau, probably with a pretty pointed observation that I should have gone through channels in the first place. So I need your expertise, and I need it without anyone else’s knowing we’ve talked.”

“You are so going to get all of us killed,” Okiku said grimly.

“It may actually be even worse than you know,” he said, and shrugged as her eyes narrowed once more. “It hasn’t hit the ‘faxes yet, but they’re not going to be able to hold it for long.”

“Hold what for long?” she demanded.

“I think I’ve figured out who the top level of the Alignment’s Navy contacts was,” he told her. “And it looks to me like there may actually be something to the Manties’—and the Havenites’—wild stories about some kind of nanotech that can control minds and make people do things.”

“Oh, give me a break!” Okiku’s tone was testier than it might have been, probably in reaction to her own inner tension, he thought. “I may grant you vast interstellar conspiracies, but mind control? Please!”

“I felt the same way,” al-Fanudahi said. “But that was before I found out Admiral Rajampet put a pulser in his mouth and pulled the trigger last night.”

Son, your mother says I have to hang you. Personally I don't think this is a capital offense. But if I don't hang you, she's gonna hang me and frankly, I'm not the one in trouble. —cthia's father. Incident in ? Axiom of Common Sense
Re: New Mandarin Doctrine - a Deliverance
Post by munroburton   » Mon Aug 01, 2016 5:52 pm

munroburton
Admiral

The nub of the issue is, to pull that sort of approach off the Mandarins would have to go. It doesn't matter if they were incompetent or duped by Rajampet/the Mesans. Either is bad enough, given how early Raging Justice was leaked(Ambassador Carmichael wasn't shy about pointing out they had enough time to send a Solarian dispatch boat via the Beowulf terminus with orders to call Filareta off).

Admitting they were wrong means admitting they acted too hastily and got 1.2 million Solarian citizens and uniformed personnel killed. Unlike Spindle, which can be hung around Crandall's dead neck(perhaps along with Verrochio and Hongbo), Second Manticore is totally in the laps of the Mandarins.

Suing for peace after three consecutive and progressively costlier military defeats, plus losing the wormhole network, is surrender.

Manticore may not like it, but what would they realistically be able to do?

Manticore can demand OFS be dismantled as the price of peace. Then they hand seized wormholes over to local systems' control. Suddenly the federal League has zero revenue. That drives them down the path of taxing member systems - members who are free to secede.

If Manticore or the GA also form mutual-defense pacts with seceding systems, the SL can't hold them by force. Try it in any grand strategy game - jack the taxation up whilst dismantling garrison forces. How to Destroy an Empire in Two Easy Steps, basically.
Post by kzt   » Mon Aug 01, 2016 5:54 pm

kzt
Fleet Admiral

munroburton wrote:Manticore can demand OFS be dismantled as the price of peace. Then they hand seized wormholes over to local systems' control. Suddenly the federal League has zero revenue. That drives them down the path of taxing member systems - members who are free to secede.

If Manticore or the GA also form mutual-defense pacts with seceding systems, the SL can't hold them by force. Try it in any grand strategy game - jack the taxation up whilst dismantling garrison forces. How to Destroy an Empire in Two Easy Steps, basically.

They can do that if they want to die. "With this treaty we have forever deprived the ability of the Germans to threaten us!"
Last edited by kzt on Mon Aug 01, 2016 7:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Post by pnakasone   » Mon Aug 01, 2016 7:26 pm

pnakasone
Captain of the List

The GA has come the conclusion that the survival of the SL is not in the best interests of their long term survival. If the SL is not broken up it will be able to build in time a fleet capable of crushing the GA. As it sits now they have a good chance of surviving the fallout of breakup of the SL.

If you where in the GAs shoes would really trust the Mandairns or their successors to uphold any agreement longer then it would take them to get the SLN up to fighting the GA on more equal terms?
Post by Erls   » Mon Aug 01, 2016 9:21 pm

Erls
Captain (Junior Grade)

In order for the Mandarins to pull this off, they would have to be willing to stomach some very serious indigestion.

First, they would have to take a nuclear hatchet to the SL fleets flag ranks. Just saying 'we were duped' without then going after the officers on the take would do nothing.

Second, they would have to realize that it isn't just Mesa - but Manpower, and Technodyne, and a lot of other interstellers that have bought and paid a good chunk of senior military officers.

Third, they would have to realize that just as it happened to the military, it could happen to bureaucrats as well.

Fourth, they would have to come up with some way to minimize the risk of it happening again. Because, once they admit it happened once everyone - and I mean EVERYONE - will demand changes so that it doesn't happen again. That would likely lead to a greatly empowered SL Assembly, as well as mandatory maximum terms for senior bureaucrats that are enshrined in the Constitution. They would basically have to put the good of the SL - a reformed SL that moves the vast majority of the power back to the Assembly - before their own personal good.

I find that highly unlikely to happen.
Post by Loren Pechtel   » Mon Aug 01, 2016 9:57 pm

Loren Pechtel
Rear Admiral

I think they could pull it off. Rajampet was the prime instigator of all the military disasters and he's dead.

Going public with basically all the truth would put the GA in a position of having to agree to peace.

However, the fact that the GA so casually smacked down the SLN has dethroned them from their 1000# gorilla status--the SLN is going to break up, especially if the GA announces a policy of helping protect systems that leave from Frontier Fleet trying to hold onto them.

This state is unacceptable to the Mandarins, thus they will not go with this even though it's probably their best option.
Post by munroburton   » Mon Aug 01, 2016 10:42 pm

munroburton
Admiral

Loren Pechtel wrote:I think they could pull it off. Rajampet was the prime instigator of all the military disasters and he's dead.

Going public with basically all the truth would put the GA in a position of having to agree to peace.

If they do that, it won't be long before questions begin to be asked about who else knew, who helped Rajampet and why nobody noticed or did anything about him tucking away three billion Solarian credits.

Start pulling at that thread and the corrupt edifice will unravel. Too many of the people at the top are mixed up in something or other and they all have enough dirt on each other(with rare exceptions) for a de facto state of Mutually Assured Destruction.

It could be pulled off... but it'd require something like a coup by, say, the Solarian League Marine Corps installing new leadership prepared to accept a drastic downsizing of the League(down to ~500 systems), the abolition of OFS, loss of wormholes, scrapping of the Reserve, curtailment of the transstellars, etc.

Come to think of it, there was a wee nugget dropped during one of the earlier al-Fanuhani Fan Club meetings indicating that SLMC Intelligence had quietly accumulated information on corrupt OFS governors and commissioners, FF and BF flag officers, wasn't there?
Post by cthia   » Mon Aug 01, 2016 11:31 pm

cthia
Fleet Admiral

munroburton wrote:The nub of the issue is, to pull that sort of approach off the Mandarins would have to go. It doesn't matter if they were incompetent or duped by Rajampet/the Mesans. Either is bad enough, given how early Raging Justice was leaked(Ambassador Carmichael wasn't shy about pointing out they had enough time to send a Solarian dispatch boat via the Beowulf terminus with orders to call Filareta off).

Admitting they were wrong means admitting they acted too hastily and got 1.2 million Solarian citizens and uniformed personnel killed. Unlike Spindle, which can be hung around Crandall's dead neck(perhaps along with Verrochio and Hongbo), Second Manticore is totally in the laps of the Mandarins.

But why? Why isn't the fact that they are just as much victims as are Eloise and Elizabeth suffice? Both E&E made huge mistakes as well and lost many lives - to this same Mesan duplicity.

Certainly, the Mandarins' mistakes (after being duped) cost more lives, yet even that can logically be attributed to the fact that the Mesans duped a bigger gorilla. Think about, the Mesans duped Eloise and caused her to call off the summit and for her to dispatch their own juggernaut against the heart of Manticore. She was forgiven by Elizabeth for that because, well, it really wasn't her fault that she was duped. Elizabeth was duped as well. If Elizabeth, who holds grudges until its a crime could forgive that, then how could the Mandarins be fairly held accountable simply because their mistakes cost more lives? The butcher count was Solarian blood anyways and it is logical that Mesan duplicity caused them more lives - being that they were a much bigger gorilla in a china shop to be duped - directly scaled up.

At the end of the very long day, I can't argue what that might mean to the Mandarins, but wouldn't they at least be spared their lives? And if they were to keep their mouths shut...

At any rate, the key to saving the League still lies in the hands of Daud, even if it spells doom for the Mandarins - or most Mandarins. If a clean Mandarin exists - one whos dirt no one can prove - he/she can drive a new League.

Suing for peace after three consecutive and progressively costlier military defeats, plus losing the wormhole network, is surrender.
Wouldn't Manticore be charged with returning the seized junctions? As the RMN returned Havenite systems?

Manticore may not like it, but what would they realistically be able to do?

Manticore can demand OFS be dismantled as the price of peace. Then they hand seized wormholes over to local systems' control. Suddenly the federal League has zero revenue. That drives them down the path of taxing member systems - members who are free to secede.
The price of peace? - yet there is no formal war as far as the League is concerned.

And "we acted hastily, w/o there being a formal declaration of war because we thought the Manty home system had been gutted and time was of the essence. We wanted a short and victorious war to save lives on both sides. Mesan duplicity forced us into a time sensitive strategic error."

Manticore backing Beowulf is one thing, but continuing to go after other member states after this repentant admission would seem politically disastrous, for Manticore at least.

Son, your mother says I have to hang you. Personally I don't think this is a capital offense. But if I don't hang you, she's gonna hang me and frankly, I'm not the one in trouble. —cthia's father. Incident in ? Axiom of Common Sense
Post by cthia   » Mon Aug 01, 2016 11:55 pm

cthia
Fleet Admiral

Loren Pechtel wrote:I think they could pull it off. Rajampet was the prime instigator of all the military disasters and he's dead.

However, the fact that the GA so casually smacked down the SLN has dethroned them from their 1000# gorilla status--the SLN is going to break up, especially if the GA announces a policy of helping protect systems that leave from Frontier Fleet trying to hold onto them.

This state is unacceptable to the Mandarins, thus they will not go with this even though it's probably their best option.

Thanks for the supporting vote.

Exactly. It would place the political onus of peace squarely in the lap of the GA, whether they like it or not. Both Eloise and Elizabeth have political Assemblies with their own will to contend with. And continuing to act aggressively, even seeking and courting member states would seem a political disaster. After all, the civilian population of Manticore isn't privy to the Harrington Doctrine - surely that Doctrine cannot be made public? And w/o that doctrine made public, most of the average citizen in the street would still question an overall success in defeating the League.

Would it realistically dethrone them from their 1000# status since they did not formally dispatch any fleet? Mesan machinations via Rajampet did. The League never drafted a formal strategy therefore they didn't take the loss. Their navy was dispatched without benefit of strategy/tactics or even serious intel (as so they can spin the record of it anyways).

Post by cthia   » Tue Aug 02, 2016 12:07 am

cthia
Fleet Admiral

munroburton wrote:

If they do that, it won't be long before questions begin to be asked about who else knew, who helped Rajampet and why nobody noticed or did anything about him tucking away three billion Solarian credits.

Start pulling at that thread and the corrupt edifice will unravel. Too many of the people at the top are mixed up in something or other and they all have enough dirt on each other(with rare exceptions) for a de facto state of Mutually Assured Destruction.

It could be pulled off... but it'd require something like a coup by, say, the Solarian League Marine Corps installing new leadership prepared to accept a drastic downsizing of the League(down to ~500 systems), the abolition of OFS, loss of wormholes, scrapping of the Reserve, curtailment of the transstellars, etc.

Come to think of it, there was a wee nugget dropped during one of the earlier al-Fanuhani Fan Club meetings indicating that SLMC Intelligence had quietly accumulated information on corrupt OFS governors and commissioners, FF and BF flag officers, wasn't there?

But wouldn't all of that simply represent the lesser of all evils?

And remember, no one knows how this Mesan mind control trick really works. The Mandarins can blame much of their mistakes on it.

Besides, wouldn't it take quite some time to get to the real root of the corruption - if ever - so wouldn't that buy time to upright the League?

Return to Honorverse