Topic Actions

Topic Search

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 140 guests

All the News that is fit to spin...

Join us in talking discussing all things Honor, including (but not limited to) tactics, favorite characters, and book discussions.
All the News that is fit to spin...
Post by Weird Harold   » Sun Jul 31, 2016 4:27 pm

Weird Harold
Fleet Admiral

Some textev as a starting point:

Mission of Honor
Chapter Thirteen
(Baltasar Juppé, MAlign agent POV) wrote:
The truth was, he thought, the "official New Tuscan scan records" were going to pass any test anyone cared to perform. ...

It didn't really matter, though. What mattered was that they had the "records," which didn't show what the Manties' records showed. And those records were about to be authenticated by no less than Audrey O'Hanrahan. ... But there were several reasons to hand it to O'Hanrahan, as his instructions had made perfectly clear, and only one of them—though an important one—was the fact that she was probably the the most respected single investigative reporter in the entire Solarian League. Certainly the most respected on Old Terra.

It's all been worth it, he thought, still smiling at the ceiling above him. Every minute of it, for this moment.
There'd been many times when Baltasar Juppé had longed for a different assignment—any different assignment. Building his personal, professional cover had been no challenge at all for the product of a Mesan gamma line, but that very fact had been part of the problem. ...

... he thought fondly of the recording he'd made of his conversation with O'Hanrahan. It probably wasn't the only record of it, of course. He knew she had one, and despite all of the guarantees of privacy built into the League Constitution, an enormous amount of public and private surveillance went on, especially here in Old Chicago. It was entirely possible—even probable—that somewhere in the bowels of the Gendarmerie someone had decided keeping tabs on Audrey O'Hanrahan's com traffic would be a good idea. It would certainly make plenty of sense from their perspective, given how often and how deeply she'd embarrassed the Solly bureaucracies with her reporting. But that was fine with Juppé. In this case, the more records the better, since they would make it abundantly clear to any impartial observer that he'd done his very best to verify the story which had come so unexpectedly into his hands. And they would make it equally abundantly clear that O'Hanrahan hadn't known a thing about it until he'd brought it to her attention. Not to mention the fact that she was no knee-jerk anti-Manty . . . and that she'd been suspicious as hell when she heard about his scoop.

And establishing those points was, after all, the exact reason he'd screened her in the first place instead of simply very quietly delivering the information to her in person.

... now that he knew the truth, and despite the envy that still lingered, Juppé admitted to himself that he doubted he could have matched her bravura performance. Gamma line or no, there was no way he could have equaled the performance of an alpha line like the O'Hanrahan genotype.

(heavily snipped down to specifics on Audrey O'Hanrahan's introduction.)

Cauldron of Ghosts
wrote:
She twisted a lock of auburn hair around one index finger, crystal blue eyes narrowed, while she contemplated her assignment here. Her real assignment, which was one of the trickiest she’d ever been given, and not her cover assignment.

Audrey O’Hanrahan had devoted thirty T-years to establishing herself as one of two or three of the Solarian League’s—perhaps even the whole human race’s—most diligent, scrupulous, and unbiased investigative reporters. Time after time, she’d demonstrated that if Audrey O’Hanrahan said something was true or false, you could count on it. In particular, you could count on her news accounts to be impartial. Like anyone, she could make an occasional mistake, but any mistake of hers was promptly acknowledged and publicly corrected. And no one who didn’t have her own ax to grind had ever seriously accused her of slanting her reports to fit some preconceived notion or allegiance.

Of course, like everyone, she reflected, there were a few private and personal facets of her personality and her life which she kept to herself. Like the minor fact that she was a Mesan alpha-line.

She smiled slightly at that thought. Her carefully designed genotype gave her certain…advantages over the pure strain humans around her, but she’d still had to put in the long, grueling hours—years and years of hours—to earn her position of trust and her reputation as a muckraker. And perhaps the most ironic part of all was that she truly was a muckraker, that she truly did live to expose hypocrisy, deceit, corruption, and the abuse of power, position, or wealth. It might have seemed odd in someone whose entire life was dedicated to the oldest, most deeply hidden conspiracy in galactic history, yet she absolutely hated the personal greed, avarice, and narcissism that lay behind so much corruption and manipulation. In fact, the genuineness of that hatred, of the passion she brought to her reportage, was one of the great strengths which had allowed her to establish her well-earned—and much feared—reputation.

And then there was the other edge of the sword, the hidden reason that made her stature as a teller of truths and slayer of giants so important to the Alignment.

As usual, her instructions had been not so much vague as…broad. Despite the security of her communications chain, her superiors hadn’t wanted to be too explicit. ... She knew the basic parameters of her assignment, and she found it interesting that she’d been given precise and specific instructions to rent a small suite in a moderately priced hotel named The Huntington Arms. Now why, she’d wondered, had they wanted her in that particular hotel? That sort of decision was usually left up to her.

The reason for the instruction was becoming clearer now, however. And she was beginning to suspect exactly why her superiors had given her the other instructions she’d received, as well.

O’Hanrahan had never been part of the plans for Operation Houdini. ... It had become obvious to her that Mesa—more precisely, the political setup on Mesa that had existed for the past several centuries—was doomed. Doomed in the near future, not in some misty, far off temporal Neverland. Given that, and what she knew about the Alignment’s ultimate objectives, even someone far less gifted than an alpha-line could have figured out that something like Houdini had to be in the offing.

(heavily snipped for brevity.)

The Cauldron of Ghosts quote is nearly the last time we see Ms O'Hanrahan. It establishes that she has orders to deviate from her well-established impartiality and that she is on Mesa when the "Mysterious (10th?) Fleet" arrives to put a stop to Houdini and Seccie unrest.

It seems obvious to me that an Interview with Adm Gold Peak will be requested and granted.

The question is: "What Happens Next" on the news and propaganda front from Ms O'Hanrahan? What Big Lie has she been ordered to promulgate, and will the arrival of 10th Fleet make any difference to what she reports?

I'll reserve my thoughts for now to see where everyone wants this topic to go.
Answers! I got lots of answers!

(Now if I could just find the right questions.)
Re: All the News that is fit to spin...
Post by JohnRoth   » Sun Jul 31, 2016 5:10 pm

JohnRoth
Admiral

Well, there are several points here.

First, in-universe, is she treecat proof? She spins what she gets, and her reward is a very special interview. Assuming that she hasn't had that special interview first.

Second, a meta question. How much time is David going to spend on the conquest of Mesa? What little we know of Shadow of Victory is that Firebrand is a central character. We should be getting more shortly, but if past history is any guide, the free chapters and snippets will mostly be catching te plot line up to the current time stamp.

The third thing. Does her set of instructions include the idea of Tenth Fleet arriving, or is she simply there to report on the aftermath of Operation Houdini?

*** edit added later ***

And one more added later: Do they know about that faked up set of records she had from New Tuscany? If so, they're going to be on their guard from the first time they pull up the records on her.
Post by Weird Harold   » Sun Jul 31, 2016 5:27 pm

Weird Harold
Fleet Admiral

JohnRoth wrote:First, in-universe, is she treecat proof? She spins what she gets, and her reward is a very special interview. Assuming that she hasn't had that special interview first.

No, I doubt that she's "treecat proof" but there's no particular reason she needs to be. She's a news-media star looking for a scoop, and her emotions would reflect that. I don't see any reason for anyone to connect her to the MAlign until she deviates from her traditional impartiality -- which should be long after any interviews she may conduct on Mesa.

JohnRoth wrote:Second, a meta question. How much time is David going to spend on the conquest of Mesa? What little we know of Shadow of Victory is that Firebrand is a central character. We should be getting more shortly, but if past history is any guide, the free chapters and snippets will mostly be catching the plot line up to the current time stamp.

I don't think the Mesa portion of O'Hanrahan's part of the story is going to take up all that much time; the interview with Adm Gold Peak may not even happen on-screen.

JohnRoth wrote:The third thing. Does her set of instructions include the idea of Tenth Fleet arriving, or is she simply there to report on the aftermath of Operation Houdini?

I seriously doubt that the arrival of 10th Fleet was anticipated in her instructions. She's there to put some sort of spin on events on Mesa, including the events of Houdini. Just what spin that will be I don't know -- yet. Ms O'Hanrahan does have a part to play in upcoming events. There can be little doubt about that.
Answers! I got lots of answers!

(Now if I could just find the right questions.)
Post by kzt   » Sun Jul 31, 2016 5:45 pm

kzt
Fleet Admiral

Weird Harold wrote:I seriously doubt that the arrival of 10th Fleet was anticipated in her instructions. She's there to put some sort of spin on events on Mesa, including the events of Houdini. Just what spin that will be I don't know -- yet. Ms O'Hanrahan does have a part to play in upcoming events. There can be little doubt about that.

She's there to make Mesa look really, really bad; and the anti-Mesa forces in the SL look really, really good. Now if she can also make the Manties look really, really bad well, that's an unexpected benefit.

An interview with the guy responsible for Green Pines would be pretty cool....
Post by Rincewind   » Sun Jul 31, 2016 6:11 pm

Rincewind
Captain (Junior Grade)

Weird Harold wrote:
JohnRoth wrote:First, in-universe, is she treecat proof? She spins what she gets, and her reward is a very special interview. Assuming that she hasn't had that special interview first.

No, I doubt that she's "treecat proof" but there's no particular reason she needs to be. She's a news-media star looking for a scoop, and her emotions would reflect that. I don't see any reason for anyone to connect her to the MAlign until she deviates from her traditional impartiality -- which should be long after any interviews she may conduct on Mesa.

Given that Gold Peak has been conducting all interviews; (even those with potential allies) with Alfredo present is it not likely that he would be present for this particular interview? Not because they suspect her but because Michelle wants to make sure that O'Hanrahan will be doing a piece that suits Michelle & Manticore. Then, as seems possible, Alfredo detects something slightly off about the inestimable Ms O'Hanrahan he could quietly give a sign to Michelle to let her know.
Post by JohnRoth   » Sun Jul 31, 2016 6:45 pm

JohnRoth
Admiral

Since I've been mulling this for a while, I'll let it drop now. There's another player on the field: Jackson Chicherin, VP of Research and Development for the Mesan Genetic Consultancy, and a member of the Mesan General Board. He almost certainly knows how to identify Mesan Alphas.

Admiral Gold Peak is going to want to interview the General Board before much of anything else, and when she does, Alfredo will identify Chicherin as someone special.

There goes part of the ball game.
Post by kzt   » Sun Jul 31, 2016 6:55 pm

kzt
Fleet Admiral

JohnRoth wrote:Since I've been mulling this for a while, I'll let it drop now. There's another player on the field: Jackson Chicherin, VP of Research and Development for the Mesan Genetic Consultancy, and a member of the Mesan General Board. He almost certainly knows how to identify Mesan Alphas.

Admiral Gold Peak is going to want to interview the General Board before much of anything else, and when she does, Alfredo will identify Chicherin as someone special.

No, if he's alive and on Mesa he doesn't know enough to cause any issues.
Post by Fox2!   » Sun Jul 31, 2016 7:17 pm

Fox2!
Commodore

kzt wrote:
JohnRoth wrote:Since I've been mulling this for a while, I'll let it drop now. There's another player on the field: Jackson Chicherin, VP of Research and Development for the Mesan Genetic Consultancy, and a member of the Mesan General Board. He almost certainly knows how to identify Mesan Alphas.

As the skull on the entrance to the Original Pirates of the Caribbean at Disney World said just before the first drop in the dark,
Dead Men Tell No Tales

If he has a tale to tell, Chicherin is either off-planet, already dead, or has a pre-planned stroke waiting for the proper trigger to go off and turn his brain to mush.
Post by JohnRoth   » Sun Jul 31, 2016 7:22 pm

JohnRoth
Admiral

kzt wrote:

I wouldn't be so sure. When RFC introduces a whole new set of characters, he's usually going to use at least one of them in the future, and Jackson Chicherin is the most likely suspect.

He's certainly not privy to any of the machinations of the Onion, or, as you say, he would either be dead or evacuated. That's pretty obvious from his focus on Manpower.

However, someone has to be working on the uplift plan that resulted in the Alpha, Beta and Gamma lines, and since there are a million members of the outer shell of the Mesan Alignment on Mesa, that's likely to be a group that's also in that same outer shell, otherwise there would be questions about where it is that the Alignment would not like asked, let alone answered.

Where better to hide a secret genetic uplift project than in a genetic engineering firm capable of handling world-size genetic projects that's well known to advocate genetic uplift? Brilliant!
Post by Hutch   » Mon Aug 01, 2016 11:59 am

Hutch
Vice Admiral

JohnRoth wrote: Second, a meta question. How much time is David going to spend on the conquest of Mesa? What little we know of Shadow of Victory is that Firebrand is a central character. We should be getting more shortly, but if past history is any guide, the free chapters and snippets will mostly be catching te plot line up to the current time stamp.

Based solely on his comments last year at Southcon in Chattanooga, Mike won't be on-screen all that much in Shadows of Freedom. Of course, the MWW could have changed his mind on that since then.

The third thing. Does her set of instructions include the idea of Tenth Fleet arriving, or is she simply there to report on the aftermath of Operation Houdini?

I would think that depends how far into the Onion she is. I would think she's about as deep as Jack McBride was, meaning lots of detail but not at the core (doesn't know about Darius). So she's probably been briefed that a Manty (or maybe Andy) fleet may be coming, but when and what it would do is still not known. As for her instructions...I guess we'll have to buy the book.

And one more added later: Do they know about that faked up set of records she had from New Tuscany? If so, they're going to be on their guard from the first time they pull up the records on her.

If by they you mean Mike and 10th fleet, if they don't know about it, they'll probably learn from reviewing Mesan news 'archives' (I'm sure it was played up there). Might even be the cause of an interview, so Mike can 'set the record straight' on New Tuscany.

We shall see, eventually.
No boom today. Boom tomorrow. There's always a boom tomorrow.

What? Look, somebody's got to have some damn perspective around here! Boom. Sooner or later. BOOM! -LT. Cmdr. Susan Ivanova, Babylon 5

Return to Honorverse