Topic Actions

Topic Search

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 159 guests

Yancy Parks

Join us in talking discussing all things Honor, including (but not limited to) tactics, favorite characters, and book discussions.
Re: Yancy Parks
Post by Annachie   » Sat Jul 30, 2016 2:33 am

Annachie
Fleet Admiral

Forts. Research station. Ship yard. Admiralty office. Liason to an alliance member. Consular position to far too many Sollie planets/systems. (There must be a few)
Base/station in Silli space.
Heck, even a fleet command in Silesia rather like Michelle ends up with one in Talbott.

I suspect Hancock was a wakeup call

Sent from my SM-G920I using Tapatalk
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
You are so going to die. :p ~~~~ runsforcelery
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
still not dead. :)
Post by Weird Harold   » Sat Jul 30, 2016 2:50 am

Weird Harold
Fleet Admiral

Annachie wrote:Base/station in Silli space.

Probably not. Adm Sarnow has overall command of the Silesian protectorates and Adm Parks outranks him by a good bit.

I suspect that Adm Parks is an undocumented casualty. Honor was the senior ranking Admiral after Adm White Haven after AAC. Adm Parks should have gotten Home Fleet if he was still alive, based on his seniority.
Answers! I got lots of answers!

(Now if I could just find the right questions.)
Post by munroburton   » Sat Jul 30, 2016 4:33 am

munroburton
Admiral

Weird Harold wrote:
Jonathan_S wrote:But didn't the bulk of the Peep force (the SDs that hung back from the fight) escape Hancock? I thought he just scooped up Chin's detached DNs - the force that was chasing the BCs across the system.

IIRC, He chased the SDs back to Seaford Nine and captured the entire system.

He recovered from his errant deployment so fast and decisively, the Peeps thought he had planned the whole thing as a trap.

Yep, he blew up the Peep SDs which left Hancock at Seaford 9. Another two squadrons showed up a few weeks later at Hancock and these were also driven off.

Weird Harold wrote:
Annachie wrote:Base/station in Silli space.

Probably not. Adm Sarnow has overall command of the Silesian protectorates and Adm Parks outranks him by a good bit.

I suspect that Adm Parks is an undocumented casualty. Honor was the senior ranking Admiral after Adm White Haven after AAC. Adm Parks should have gotten Home Fleet if he was still alive, based on his seniority.

Uhh, no. Honor got Home Fleet because Eighth Fleet was the only formation available to take over the duty. As is quite clear in the books, they found some other Admiral to do the job as soon as they built more ships.

In order to let someone more senior-in-time command, they would have had to beach Honor. That was politically unviable after saving the home system and capturing Tourville's survivors.

Seniority wasn't the RMN's sole basis for choosing Home Fleet's CO anyway - the whole reason that role comes with an unique, temporarily held rank is to make sure its current Admiral automatically outranks everyone else. D'Orville was Home Fleet CO in OBS - and later established as junior to Hamish Alexander at the time of Third Yeltsin.
Post by Somtaaw   » Sat Jul 30, 2016 8:51 am

Somtaaw
Rear Admiral

Jonathan_S wrote:I agree he reacted decisively to the new information that the Peeps were spying and almost certainly aware he'd temporarily uncovered Hancock. But didn't the bulk of the Peep force (the SDs that hung back from the fight) escape Hancock? I thought he just scooped up Chin's detached DNs - the force that was chasing the BCs across the system.

Chin's DN's were picked up by the Admiral Danislav, the reinforcements Parks was supposed to receive, and when he redeployed he left orders that would have kept Danislav in Hancock with Sarnow's Battlecruisers for screen.

Parks arrived mere minutes too late to stop Rollins from escaping Hancock, but with Danislav's dreadnoughts, he immediately moved to Seaford Nine and forced the Peeps to action. From the context in Field of Dishonor, the other Peep force had arrived in Seaford Nine prior and already departed because Parks left a token force in SF9, returned to Hancock and annihilated the Peep force that expected to find Rollins in control.

Essentially Parks just ping-ponged between Hancock and SF9 and tore apart the two major Peep fleets that were detailed to the opening operations because they didn't stick to their original schedule and they weren't used to that kind of operation yet.
Post by Rincewind   » Sat Jul 30, 2016 10:54 am

Rincewind
Captain (Junior Grade)

Louis R wrote:He would probably have been too senior to be shuffled off that way. OTOH, with the build-down of the fleet there were a _lot_ of genuinely redundant senior officers, so beaching him wouldn't have been too difficult. After Thunderbolt, his most likely employment would be at the Admiralty or in Home Fleet. [Although it isn't beyond possibility that he drew a diplomatic post. Who's the current attache in Chicago?]

Dauntless wrote:given that parks captured the first piece haven territory in the war and that everyone knows that he was involved with sending Young to court martial then I can see sending him to the beach as being another fight they didn't need. after putting White Haven on half pay, to send one of the other most famous (after honor, white haven and Kuzak) would probably have been very hard to justify.

probably easier to send him to some remote place and give him barely any ships to protect it with, and then he gets killed when Haven launches thunderbolt.

The current Naval Attaché in Chicago under Ambassador Carmichael is Captain Deangelo as referred to in Storm from the Shadows Chapter 47, page 660 in the hardback edition.
Post by Louis R   » Sat Jul 30, 2016 1:49 pm

Louis R
Rear Admiral

Thanks, missed it.

That, BTW, is an indication that the Manties have been drawing down the Embassy staff. Attache is - or at least was - a RAdm slot; this makes the incumbent 2 grades lower. IIRC, there's a mention that Webster effectively acted as his own attache, and Deangelo inherited the position when Carmichael inherited the Ambassadorship, but there doesn't seem to have been any effort to send a more-senior officer to supersede him.

Rincewind wrote:
Louis R wrote:[Although it isn't beyond possibility that he drew a diplomatic post. Who's the current attache in Chicago?]

The current Naval Attaché in Chicago under Ambassador Carmichael is Captain Deangelo as referred to in Storm from the Shadows Chapter 47, page 660 in the hardback edition.
Post by Brigade XO   » Sat Jul 30, 2016 2:22 pm

Brigade XO
Fleet Admiral

[quote = O.P.][/quote]

What Parks did was make a bad call. He took the best information he had and made a disicion. It turned out to be the wrong one. But that often happens in war or life in general. By the same token look at the mistakes Admirals Rollins and Parnell made in the opening phases of the war.[/quote]

Parks too the information, asked or accepted suggestions from his officers and made his call. He disagreed with Sarnow but did leave Sarnow to cover the original position with the anticipation of further reinforcements (which did show up in a nick of time).

As soon as Parks was told about the discovery of the Peeps survalience network he reallized he had been wrong and moved as fast as possible to correct that. From that point forward in that part of the campaign he (and his forces) performed very well. Parks also took full responsibility for his actions and didn't try and lay off blame (he also admitted Sarnow had been correct. This is not the actions of a poor officer.
Post by saber964   » Sat Jul 30, 2016 5:07 pm

saber964
Admiral

Weird Harold wrote:
saber964 wrote:No, that was rotating in and out of staff and combat commands. There are notable exceptions however like ADM Adcock, ADM Capirelli, ADM Cortez, ADM Hemphill and ADM Harrington.

Hemphill and Harrington aren't exceptions. Both have been shown onscreen in line and staff positions, and Honor did a stint on the Weapons Development Board off-screen but mentioned in her confrontation with White Haven about reading the board's report.

Your forgetting one thing, those assignments were relatively short in duration. IIRC Harrington was assigned (8 months) to the WDB while she was on "maternity" leave for Samantha and her assignment (1 year) to the RMNA-SI and the Crusher was basically light duty while undergoing prolonged medical treatment and rehabilitation. Compare the rest of her career it was almost exclusively frontline combat duty.

I've seen admirals who were so incompetent because the didn't have the institutional knowledge when the sh!t hit the fan. Most of his career had been either Pentagon or # fleet staff duty, he'd only been on three sea tours out of 17 assignments. Look at ADM Khumalo according to textev he's mostly a administrative officer with command of minor fleet stations, but he recognizes that fact he doesn't know what he needs to know and was willing to defer to more experienced combat officers.
Post by ChronicRder   » Mon Aug 01, 2016 12:09 am

ChronicRder
Lieutenant Commander

Hey, guys, I know its been a while, but I'm back. I've been away for family, job, and military reasons.
Anyway, today (July 31) was my birthday, and seeing as how I'm home and resettled (at long last), I'd thought I'd get back online with y'all in the aftermath of drinking and merrymaking with my friends and family.

While we're on the topic of Yancy Parks, whatever happened to CPT (Senior Grade) Thor Simengaard? We haven't seen the man sin Pavel Young's Court Martial? He was the junior most of the board presided by Earl White Haven which would, in theory, make him at least equal to Honor in the RMN assuming he survived, though we have no textev that he didn't.
Post by Hutch   » Mon Aug 01, 2016 11:48 am

Hutch
Vice Admiral

ChronicRder wrote:While we're on the topic of Yancy Parks, whatever happened to CPT (Senior Grade) Thor Simengaard? We haven't seen the man sin Pavel Young's Court Martial? He was the junior most of the board presided by Earl White Haven which would, in theory, make him at least equal to Honor in the RMN assuming he survived, though we have no textev that he didn't.

Fair question, probably answered by (1) There;s only so many characters the MWW can cram into a book and he already has a regiment's worth or (2) Died during the Battle of Manticore (considering nearly 500,000 Manties/allies died, lots of room to kill off minor characters) or Thunderbolt.

As for Parks, the obvious (to me) is that Janacek probably put him on half-pay (a man with that level of determination and stubborness was unlikely to see eye-to-eye with that bunch) and Parks, rather than that, decided to retire from the Navy and is now working in private industry...but he could always be recalled, if the power of plot demands it.

IMHO as always. YMMV.
No boom today. Boom tomorrow. There's always a boom tomorrow.

What? Look, somebody's got to have some damn perspective around here! Boom. Sooner or later. BOOM! -LT. Cmdr. Susan Ivanova, Babylon 5

Return to Honorverse