Topic Actions

Topic Search

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 143 guests

Yancy Parks

Join us in talking discussing all things Honor, including (but not limited to) tactics, favorite characters, and book discussions.
Re: Yancy Parks
Post by saber964   » Fri Jul 29, 2016 4:27 pm

saber964
Admiral

Louis R wrote:He would probably have been too senior to be shuffled off that way. OTOH, with the build-down of the fleet there were a _lot_ of genuinely redundant senior officers, so beaching him wouldn't have been too difficult. After Thunderbolt, his most likely employment would be at the Admiralty or in Home Fleet. [Although it isn't beyond possibility that he drew a diplomatic post. Who's the current attache in Chicago?]

Dauntless wrote:given that parks captured the first piece haven territory in the war and that everyone knows that he was involved with sending Young to court martial then I can see sending him to the beach as being another fight they didn't need. after putting White Haven on half pay, to send one of the other most famous (after honor, white haven and Kuzak) would probably have been very hard to justify.

probably easier to send him to some remote place and give him barely any ships to protect it with, and then he gets killed when Haven launches thunderbolt.

A major embassy post will require a flag officer, but not that senior. At most the SEM naval attache to the SL would be a senior rear admiral or a junior vice admiral. It also depends on what rank the other military attache is.
Post by BrightSoul   » Fri Jul 29, 2016 5:42 pm

BrightSoul
Rear Admiral

IIRC The RMN had a practice prior to the first Havenite war of rotating officers on and off of half pay to keep their reservists current and combatting rank bloat due to prolong.

He could be on the beach but still productive in a civilian post or on some out of the way Station such as Sidemore.

Speaking of lost Admirals, what happened to young Webster? We haven't seen him since WoH IIRC.
Post by saber964   » Fri Jul 29, 2016 6:00 pm

saber964
Admiral

BrightSoul wrote:IIRC The RMN had a practice prior to the first Havenite war of rotating officers on and off of half pay to keep their reservists current and combatting rank bloat due to prolong.

He could be on the beach but still productive in a civilian post or on some out of the way Station such as Sidemore.

Speaking of lost Admirals, what happened to young Webster? We haven't seen him since WoH IIRC.

No, that was rotating in and out of staff and combat commands. There are notable exceptions however like ADM Adcock, ADM Capirelli, ADM Cortez, ADM Hemphill and ADM Harrington.
Post by Howard T. Map-addict   » Fri Jul 29, 2016 7:02 pm

Howard T. Map-addict
Rear Admiral

Say what????

Before and at First Hancock, Yancy Parks was caught with his
pants down and his fleet way out of position!
After that Big Mistake, which almost got Hancock Station
destroyed, not even hastening to capture Seaford Nine (which
he did) would suffice to save his career!

I'm sure that he was relieved from Hancock Station as soon
as the very busy Fleet HQ found time to do so, and has been
on the beach ever since (where he was right-at-hand to
praise Honor's abilities).

HTM

Dauntless wrote:given that Parks captured the first piece of Haven territory in the war and that everyone knows that he was involved with sending Young to court martial then I can see sending him to the beach as being another fight they didn't need. after putting White Haven on half pay, to send one of the other most famous (after honor, white haven and Kuzak) would probably have been very hard to justify.

probably easier to send him to some remote place and give him barely any ships to protect it with, and then he gets killed when Haven launches thunderbolt.

[The Original Poster had said]
By all accounts Parks was intelligent,
thoughtful, and a solid commander.
[quote = O.P.]
Post by saber964   » Fri Jul 29, 2016 8:23 pm

saber964
Admiral

Howard T. Map-addict wrote:Say what????

Before and at First Hancock, Yancy Parks was caught with his
pants down and his fleet way out of position!
After that Big Mistake, which almost got Hancock Station
destroyed, not even hastening to capture Seaford Nine (which
he did) would suffice to save his career!

I'm sure that he was relieved from Hancock Station as soon
as the very busy Fleet HQ found time to do so, and has been
on the beach ever since (where he was right-at-hand to
praise Honor's abilities).

HTM

Dauntless wrote:given that Parks captured the first piece of Haven territory in the war and that everyone knows that he was involved with sending Young to court martial then I can see sending him to the beach as being another fight they didn't need. after putting White Haven on half pay, to send one of the other most famous (after honor, white haven and Kuzak) would probably have been very hard to justify.

[The Original Poster had said]
By all accounts Parks was intelligent,
thoughtful, and a solid commander.
[quote = O.P.]

What Parks did was make a bad call. He took the best information he had and made a disicion. It turned out to be the wrong one. But that often happens in war or life in general. By the same token look at the mistakes Admirals Rollins and Parnell made in the opening phases of the war.
Post by Weird Harold   » Fri Jul 29, 2016 9:20 pm

Weird Harold
Fleet Admiral

saber964 wrote:No, that was rotating in and out of staff and combat commands. There are notable exceptions however like ADM Adcock, ADM Capirelli, ADM Cortez, ADM Hemphill and ADM Harrington.

Hemphill and Harrington aren't exceptions. Both have been shown onscreen in line and staff positions, and Honor did a stint on the Weapons Development Board off-screen but mentioned in her confrontation with White Haven about reading the board's report.
Answers! I got lots of answers!

(Now if I could just find the right questions.)
Post by munroburton   » Fri Jul 29, 2016 9:40 pm

munroburton
Admiral

Weird Harold wrote:
saber964 wrote:No, that was rotating in and out of staff and combat commands. There are notable exceptions however like ADM Adcock, ADM Capirelli, ADM Cortez, ADM Hemphill and ADM Harrington.

Hemphill and Harrington aren't exceptions. Both have been shown onscreen in line and staff positions, and Honor did a stint on the Weapons Development Board off-screen but mentioned in her confrontation with White Haven about reading the board's report.

Not to mention Harrington's first tour as a full Manticoran Admiral was actually the Academy. For that matter, her first tour as Commodore was with the WDB - after returning from Q-shipping in Silesia.

saber964 wrote:What Parks did was make a bad call. He took the best information he had and made a disicion. It turned out to be the wrong one. But that often happens in war or life in general. By the same token look at the mistakes Admirals Rollins and Parnell made in the opening phases of the war.

Parks reacted swiftly when the Peeps' spy satellite network was discovered and he demolished Peep forces in his area far more comprehensively than White Haven did at Yeltsin. Parnell got around half of his fleet out; Parks only let three enemy wallers escape.

I'm sure he remained as Hancock Station commander for some time... but that sector was pretty quiet until Second Hancock, nine years later.
Post by Jonathan_S   » Sat Jul 30, 2016 12:00 am

Jonathan_S
Fleet Admiral

munroburton wrote:
saber964 wrote:What Parks did was make a bad call. He took the best information he had and made a disicion. It turned out to be the wrong one. But that often happens in war or life in general. By the same token look at the mistakes Admirals Rollins and Parnell made in the opening phases of the war.

Parks reacted swiftly when the Peeps' spy satellite network was discovered and he demolished Peep forces in his area far more comprehensively than White Haven did at Yeltsin. Parnell got around half of his fleet out; Parks only let three enemy wallers escape.
I agree he reacted decisively to the new information that the Peeps were spying and almost certainly aware he'd temporarily uncovered Hancock. But didn't the bulk of the Peep force (the SDs that hung back from the fight) escape Hancock? I thought he just scooped up Chin's detached DNs - the force that was chasing the BCs across the system.
Post by jdtinIA   » Sat Jul 30, 2016 12:10 am

jdtinIA
Lieutenant (Junior Grade)

He could be running a dark project on Medusa.
Training "Stilties" to crew the transports for Treecat Marines.
Post by Weird Harold   » Sat Jul 30, 2016 12:34 am

Weird Harold
Fleet Admiral

Jonathan_S wrote:But didn't the bulk of the Peep force (the SDs that hung back from the fight) escape Hancock? I thought he just scooped up Chin's detached DNs - the force that was chasing the BCs across the system.

IIRC, He chased the SDs back to Seaford Nine and captured the entire system.

He recovered from his errant deployment so fast and decisively, the Peeps thought he had planned the whole thing as a trap.
Answers! I got lots of answers!

(Now if I could just find the right questions.)

Return to Honorverse