Topic Actions

Topic Search

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Google [Bot] and 75 guests

Yancy Parks

Join us in talking discussing all things Honor, including (but not limited to) tactics, favorite characters, and book discussions.
Yancy Parks
Post by Erls   » Thu Jul 28, 2016 11:32 pm

Erls
Captain (Junior Grade)

I'm curious.. What happened to Parks after ASVW?

BY all accounts Parks was intelligent, thoughtful, and a solid commander. What do people think his next/future commands were and how did he do in them?
Re: Yancy Parks
Post by Jonathan_S   » Fri Jul 29, 2016 12:04 am

Jonathan_S
Fleet Admiral

Erls wrote:I'm curious.. What happened to Parks after ASVW?

BY all accounts Parks was intelligent, thoughtful, and a solid commander. What do people think his next/future commands were and how did he do in them?
Good question - he basically dropped out of the books after Short Victorious War.

There are mentions of his as one of Honor's former COs (who gave an ultimately favorable opinion of her), or the guy who seized Seaford Nine (mentioned in Field of Dishonor, In Enemy Hands, Echoes of Honor, and Ashes of Victory) but nonw of those refer to any events after the Hancock - Seaford Nine battles.

Heck he doesn't even get a mention in House of Steel's biography section...

It sounds like he was around to talk about Honor for at least a little quite after sending in his deposition for Young's pre-trial hearing. But maybe RFC decided Parks had an (offscreen) casualty of the relatively early fighting? Dunno.
Post by cthia   » Fri Jul 29, 2016 12:15 am

cthia
Fleet Admiral

Jonathan_S wrote:
Erls wrote:I'm curious.. What happened to Parks after ASVW?

Good question - he basically dropped out of the books after Short Victorious War.

There are mentions of his as one of Honor's former COs (who gave an ultimately favorable opinion of her), or the guy who seized Seaford Nine (mentioned in Field of Dishonor, In Enemy Hands, Echoes of Honor, and Ashes of Victory) but nonw of those refer to any events after the Hancock - Seaford Nine battles.

Heck he doesn't even get a mention in House of Steel's biography section...

It sounds like he was around to talk about Honor for at least a little quite after sending in his deposition for Young's pre-trial hearing. But maybe RFC decided Parks had an (offscreen) casualty of the relatively early fighting? Dunno.

Might there have been some political repercussions suffered offscreen from his hand in the Denver Summervale "extradition?" :lol:

Son, your mother says I have to hang you. Personally I don't think this is a capital offense. But if I don't hang you, she's gonna hang me and frankly, I'm not the one in trouble. —cthia's father. Incident in ? Axiom of Common Sense
Post by Fox2!   » Fri Jul 29, 2016 12:47 am

Fox2!
Commodore

cthia wrote:[
Might there have been some political repercussions suffered offscreen from his hand in the Denver Summervale "extradition?" :lol:

That was Sarnow, not Parks, who provided (through his Chief of Staff) the information on where Summervale was hiding out.
Post by cthia   » Fri Jul 29, 2016 1:08 am

cthia
Fleet Admiral

Fox2! wrote:
cthia wrote:[

That was Sarnow, not Parks, who provided (through his Chief of Staff) the information on where Summervale was hiding out.

"Oops"

"Dammit Shannon!" :oops:

Thanks.

Son, your mother says I have to hang you. Personally I don't think this is a capital offense. But if I don't hang you, she's gonna hang me and frankly, I'm not the one in trouble. —cthia's father. Incident in ? Axiom of Common Sense
Post by Eagleeye   » Fri Jul 29, 2016 5:06 am

Eagleeye
Commodore

Is there a mandatory retirement age for active service as flag officers in the RMN? Because, if memory serves, he was already not the youngest one in SVW; and (assuming he survived the 1st war) he was definitely beached during the 2nd Janacek-Admiralty (High Ridge-Government - if only because the role he played during the Pavel-Young-crisis).
Maybe he was just to old to get a reactivation order after the start of the 2nd Manticore-Haven war?
Post by Somtaaw   » Fri Jul 29, 2016 8:26 am

Somtaaw
Rear Admiral

Eagleeye wrote:Is there a mandatory retirement age for active service as flag officers in the RMN? Because, if memory serves, he was already not the youngest one in SVW; and (assuming he survived the 1st war) he was definitely beached during the 2nd Janacek-Admiralty (High Ridge-Government - if only because the role he played during the Pavel-Young-crisis).
Maybe he was just to old to get a reactivation order after the start of the 2nd Manticore-Haven war?

Possible, but not likely. Admiral Adcock was still a serving officer, without prolong, into his early 100's if memory serves, and served much of his last years as the head of the WDB and related areas.

And Admiral White Haven isn't really the youngest admiral the RMN has either, among several others although most of White Haven's contemporaries were Webster (assassinated), D'Orville (killed off in BoMa), and Kuzak.

I'd almost say he's serving as an exec to someone else's fleet command, but he can't be in Silesia or he'd be under Sarnow and Parks was already a Vice Admiral in tSVW and FoD. Simple seniority would have put him to Admiral before Sarnow could have been jumped out of the zone from Rear Admiral to full. Which would make Sarnow his exec, rather than the other way around, he could possibly have been made Kuzak's exec, or exec in the "new and improved Apollo II" Home Fleet formed after BoMa.

Or as presented, he's been an off-screen casualty although I think he was still living until, at the very minimum, Honor's return to RMN service after escaping Cerberus, because Cortez mentioned he spoke to both Sarnow (I positive he also mentioned Parks) plus other former CO's in regards to Honor not putting her health first. So if he suffered an off-screen death, Parks made it to Ashes of Victory before getting snuffed, possibly the CO of the system where Terekhov made his last stand? There were very very few battles the RMN lost during the Buttercup Offensive after all.
Post by drothgery   » Fri Jul 29, 2016 1:44 pm

drothgery
Admiral

Somtaaw wrote:Possible, but not likely. Admiral Adcock was still a serving officer, without prolong, into his early 100's if memory serves, and served much of his last years as the head of the WDB and related areas.
Really, other than immigrants like Adcock (which Parks was not), an RMN flag officer is going to be a prolong recipient, so while he might have retired from the Navy anyway, it wouldn't have been purely due to age.
Post by Dauntless   » Fri Jul 29, 2016 3:24 pm

Dauntless
Rear Admiral

given that parks captured the first piece haven territory in the war and that everyone knows that he was involved with sending Young to court martial then I can see sending him to the beach as being another fight they didn't need. after putting White Haven on half pay, to send one of the other most famous (after honor, white haven and Kuzak) would probably have been very hard to justify.

probably easier to send him to some remote place and give him barely any ships to protect it with, and then he gets killed when Haven launches thunderbolt.
Post by Louis R   » Fri Jul 29, 2016 3:56 pm

Louis R
Rear Admiral

He would probably have been too senior to be shuffled off that way. OTOH, with the build-down of the fleet there were a _lot_ of genuinely redundant senior officers, so beaching him wouldn't have been too difficult. After Thunderbolt, his most likely employment would be at the Admiralty or in Home Fleet. [Although it isn't beyond possibility that he drew a diplomatic post. Who's the current attache in Chicago?]

Dauntless wrote:given that parks captured the first piece haven territory in the war and that everyone knows that he was involved with sending Young to court martial then I can see sending him to the beach as being another fight they didn't need. after putting White Haven on half pay, to send one of the other most famous (after honor, white haven and Kuzak) would probably have been very hard to justify.

probably easier to send him to some remote place and give him barely any ships to protect it with, and then he gets killed when Haven launches thunderbolt.

Return to Honorverse