Topic Actions

Topic Search

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 105 guests

Shadow of victory EARC release date?

Join us in talking discussing all things Honor, including (but not limited to) tactics, favorite characters, and book discussions.
Shadow of victory EARC release date?
Post by Alistair   » Fri Jul 22, 2016 4:59 am

Alistair
Rear Admiral

Does any one know?

Sorry if its been asked already
Re: Shadow of victory EARC release date?
Post by munroburton   » Fri Jul 22, 2016 6:41 am

munroburton
Admiral

IIRC, eARCs aren't scheduled for release. As soon as it's ready, out it pops.

The hardback is scheduled for release in October. We could see the eARC in eight hours or eight weeks. Only the denizens of Baen's dungeon know. ;)
Post by Charybdis   » Fri Jul 22, 2016 8:19 am

Charybdis
Captain of the List

Alistair wrote:Does any one know?

Sorry if its been asked already

If you look at the Baen "Monthly Baen Bundles" you see that it shows the October release available and that the full books included there will be available as of 10/04/16 which is the standard 1st Tuesday of the month. Now this means, if everything works as expected with the November release, as of next month (August '16), sample chapters of "Shadow of Victory" should be available for free. :!:

Purchasers of that bundle should get the first half although that has been less than consistent in the past. I would 'expect' the EARC to be available in August IF you see the 1st half included in the bundle at the beginning of August! I have no connection with RFC or Baen so take it for what it is worth (free!) :?:
-----

What say you, my peers?
Post by JohnRoth   » Fri Jul 22, 2016 11:59 am

JohnRoth
Admiral

What we know is in the "Updates from David" thread that's right at the top of the first page of the forum. To summarize: if David maintains the schedule suggested there, HoV has major revisions planned and hasn't been turned in yet. It might be turned in by the beginning of August, which makes an August 16 sample chapters release awfully aggressive.
Post by Louis R   » Fri Jul 22, 2016 2:38 pm

Louis R
Rear Admiral

I believe that that isn't quite correct: since Himself is quite aware of the normal process, and says he doesn't expect the revision to affect release dates, this is probably an editorial revision - that is, a change agreed between him and Toni. That suggests that editing and typesetting are proceeding on the unaffected sections. The e-ARC probably wouldn't be released until it's done, but the 1st 1/2 bundle release may not include it and can go ahead.

JohnRoth wrote:What we know is in the "Updates from David" thread that's right at the top of the first page of the forum. To summarize: if David maintains the schedule suggested there, HoV has major revisions planned and hasn't been turned in yet. It might be turned in by the beginning of August, which makes an August 16 sample chapters release awfully aggressive.
Post by Theemile   » Fri Jul 22, 2016 9:15 pm

Theemile
Fleet Admiral

Louis R wrote:I believe that that isn't quite correct: since Himself is quite aware of the normal process, and says he doesn't expect the revision to affect release dates, this is probably an editorial revision - that is, a change agreed between him and Toni. That suggests that editing and typesetting are proceeding on the unaffected sections. The e-ARC probably wouldn't be released until it's done, but the 1st 1/2 bundle release may not include it and can go ahead.

JohnRoth wrote:What we know is in the "Updates from David" thread that's right at the top of the first page of the forum. To summarize: if David maintains the schedule suggested there, HoV has major revisions planned and hasn't been turned in yet. It might be turned in by the beginning of August, which makes an August 16 sample chapters release awfully aggressive.

Didn't Duckk say that Sharon had David tasked to do some revisions to SoV after he finished the next Safehold book? From the timeline given, the SOV revision probably hasn't happened yet, so the earc will be a little later than we'd like.
RFC said "refitting a Beowulfan SD to Manticoran standards would be just as difficult as refitting a standard SLN SD to those standards. In other words, it would be cheaper and faster to build new ships."
Post by Alistair   » Sat Jul 23, 2016 1:57 am

Alistair
Rear Admiral

Yep what I thought :(

Still even September EARC date is not far away!
Post by Lunan   » Sat Jul 23, 2016 11:36 am

Lunan
Captain of the List

i thought it was to revise sov fisrt then safehold as there was no way safehold was making its streetdate

Alistair wrote:Yep what I thought :(

Post by Louis R   » Sat Jul 23, 2016 1:55 pm

Louis R
Rear Admiral

No, if you look at the Updates thread the sched was to complete Safehold draft, then revise SoV. It's the fact that he plans to do it so late and still thinks the typeset file will hit the printers in time that suggests to me it's pretty tightly placed in the manuscript. [have done a bit of amateur typesetting. i know how much time changing even a few words consumes] My guess is that it's a major rewrite of one or two chapters, and an agreed target for any change in word count. If those chapters are in the second half of the book, we won't see any affect on bundle release, but if they're earlier it might well be delayed by a week or two.

Interesting to see how it works out.

Lunan wrote:i thought it was to revise sov fisrt then safehold as there was no way safehold was making its streetdate

Post by JohnRoth   » Sat Jul 23, 2016 2:48 pm

JohnRoth
Admiral

Lunan wrote:i thought it was to revise sov fisrt then safehold as there was no way safehold was making its streetdate

Louis R wrote:No, if you look at the Updates thread the sched was to complete Safehold draft, then revise SoV. It's the fact that he plans to do it so late and still thinks the typeset file will hit the printers in time that suggests to me it's pretty tightly placed in the manuscript. [have done a bit of amateur typesetting. i know how much time changing even a few words consumes] My guess is that it's a major rewrite of one or two chapters, and an agreed target for any change in word count. If those chapters are in the second half of the book, we won't see any affect on bundle release, but if they're earlier it might well be delayed by a week or two.

Interesting to see how it works out.

People don't really do "typesetting" these days. Any decent professional publishing system, and Baen's is pretty decent from what I hear, does "typesetting" at the push of a button.

They do "book design," which has to do with page layout as much as anything. There are a lot of fiddly little details to getting a pleasing page layout, and frankly Baen sucks at that. You'll see scene breaks (those lines of three stars) at the very bottom of a page, and the usual page layout guidelines say that shouldn't happen. It makes it slightly easier for the reader to lose track of where ce is when ce turns the page, and it also makes it slightly easier for the reader to decide this is a good place to not turn the page and put the book down.

My guess is that version 1 has already been copyedited, and since RFC turns in pretty clean copy anyway they'll just go with his revisions.

Return to Honorverse