Topic Actions

Topic Search

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 160 guests

Missile Spreadsheets

Join us in talking discussing all things Honor, including (but not limited to) tactics, favorite characters, and book discussions.
Missile Spreadsheets
Post by Jonathan_S   » Thu Jul 21, 2016 5:39 pm

Jonathan_S
Fleet Admiral

I (and I think a few other people) have worked up spreadsheets of missile performance culled from the books; and there were a couple recent requests to share that.

So to do that I went back through the books to try and ensure I'd captured all the relevant data; then guestimated where necessary to make things fit, removed the blatant errors, then calculated the missing values.

The prettied up result is in the following google sheet which anybody should be able to view.
Honorverse missiles

(Unfortunately this read only because Google isn't flexible enough to let me lock-in data verification for editable cells - so anybody could edit an unlocked cell to anything and mess it up for the next person)

So if you actually want to play around with different scenarios I created a simple excel spreadsheet of a missile calculator that you can download and plug in anything you like for drive numbers, endurance, ballistic times, or initial velocity. It supports up to 4 drives and 3 ballistic phases between them. (It's protected and only the cells you're intended to edit are unlocked - but that's just to help protect again inadvertent changes to the calculation cells; there's no password so if you want to turn off protection and muck around; feel free)

Please enjoy - and if you've got feedback or suggestions let me know.
- Jonathan
Re: Missile Spreadsheets
Post by munroburton   » Thu Jul 21, 2016 7:08 pm

munroburton
Admiral

Magnificient.

I don't know if I'd label the Blackbird Base missiles as ERMs - IIRC they were planet/moon based missiles without the size constraints of shipboard missiles. They could have been eight times the mass of a Peep capital missile of that era for all we know. But it's as good a place as anywhere to stick it! :)
Post by munroburton   » Sat Jul 30, 2016 6:44 pm

munroburton
Admiral

Having re-read ART, this spreadsheet explains to me why the GA ambush forces were positioned so closely to Eleventh Fleet, despite this bringing them into range of the SLN's missiles.

It seems that in order for the GA to use full-power drive settings, they have to get closer than Cataphract's maximum powered range. SLN: 16MKm, RMN: 14.5, RHN: 13.5.

Of course, this doesn't fully satisfy me - the GA could've engaged from twenty million klicks with one half-power burn and two full-power burns. Perhaps they didn't trust SLN MDMs not to get lost during ballistic phases?
Post by Dauntless   » Sun Jul 31, 2016 10:08 am

Dauntless
Rear Admiral

should really take this to a new thread it this takes more then a reply or 2

BUT

i thought the reason they got so close was that when the SLN dropped out they were within Cataphract range of Sphinx (due to orbital stuff and junction safe zones) and not trusting SLN/messa they wanted to give him a target(GA fleet) that could defend itself and shoot back, rather then risk more damage to sphinx. has been a while since i reread that book though

Return to Honorverse