Topic Actions

Topic Search

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 154 guests

Nat Turner frigate specs

Join us in talking discussing all things Honor, including (but not limited to) tactics, favorite characters, and book discussions.
Re: Nat Turner frigate specs
Post by Dauntless   » Sun Jul 17, 2016 2:36 pm

Dauntless
Rear Admiral

spinal mount grasers, even if they are only CL/CA size are going to take up quite a bit of room on a 60/70 Kton hull, likely to be quite a squeeze to get missiles as well.

according to HoS 70K destroyers tended to have 2 lasers and 1 missile tube or 2 missile and 1 laser as chase weapons. those were old destroyers and the lasers won't have been the up powered monsters of later RMN designs

so to fit a grazer of at least CL/CA grade will likely have taken all room that could be used for weapons, even assuming they got front line RMN ministration, therefore i would guess that the missiles will be broadside mounted and given how many in the RMN support the ASL i think limited off bore is feasible

destroyers of that size also carried 3 or 4 missile tubes and 3 or 4 lasers in the broadside. how that was modified we can only guess but i'd say leave 2 lasers, just in case and have a 5 missile broadside, which is what most RMN designs had up until the wolfhound/roland era, put tonnage left over into the magazines .

CM/PD on those same 70Kton ships was not much only 3/4 PD and 2/3 CM, that will need to be improved for the modern era even if the ships aren't expected to be taking on anything more then an armed slaver/pirate. i'd expect at least double the old numbers there.
Post by Somtaaw   » Sun Jul 17, 2016 3:21 pm

Somtaaw
Rear Admiral

Dauntless wrote:spinal mount grasers, even if they are only CL/CA size are going to take up quite a bit of room on a 60/70 Kton hull, likely to be quite a squeeze to get missiles as well.

according to HoS 70K destroyers tended to have 2 lasers and 1 missile tube or 2 missile and 1 laser as chase weapons. those were old destroyers and the lasers won't have been the up powered monsters of later RMN designs

so to fit a grazer of at least CL/CA grade will likely have taken all room that could be used for weapons, even assuming they got front line RMN ministration, therefore i would guess that the missiles will be broadside mounted and given how many in the RMN support the ASL i think limited off bore is feasible

destroyers of that size also carried 3 or 4 missile tubes and 3 or 4 lasers in the broadside. how that was modified we can only guess but i'd say leave 2 lasers, just in case and have a 5 missile broadside, which is what most RMN designs had up until the wolfhound/roland era, put tonnage left over into the magazines .

CM/PD on those same 70Kton ships was not much only 3/4 PD and 2/3 CM, that will need to be improved for the modern era even if the ships aren't expected to be taking on anything more then an armed slaver/pirate. i'd expect at least double the old numbers there.

Nat Turner's are pretty firmly using single grasers fore and aft facing, which rules out your "2 laser" guess. This makes the only real questions regarding point defense, and missile armament organization.

Shrike-B's still have the original BC length graser taking up most of their hull, but according to Scotty in ART I believe, we now know that Shrike-B's grav lenses got upgraded to nearly superdreadnought strength without really increasing in size. That means the majority of a graser's firepower is actually in the grav lens and not the size of the laser emitters.

Nat Turner's are supposed to be using "export" versions of Manty tech, but since they were known to be intended for the Ballroom, and that I believe they've got other samples of tech, it wouldn't be too far of a stretch to leave the original Shrike-A graser firepower in the Turner's.

munroburton wrote:Anyone who isn't the RHN or RMN is going to be quite wary of a 60 or 65 kton frigate carrying the same type of grasers used in the Star Knight, for example.

That's true, but the Turners were openly built for the ASL, with the wink,wink,nudge,nudge "we know they're for Ballroom". Plus it's only one graser, so anything you shoot at is going to be returning fire with two or more beams... unless your one shot absolutely crushes the target.
Post by Brigade XO   » Mon Jul 18, 2016 8:17 am

Brigade XO
Fleet Admiral

"Effectively, they were hyper-capable versions of the Royal Manticoran Navy's Shrike-class LAC but with about twice the missile capacity and a pair of spinal-mounted grasers, with the second energy weapon bearing aft. "

Ok, you scale up a Shrike- sort of. Need to allow for the fusion plant, the sails (it's hyper capable) the additional missle capacity (tubes and magazine space) and grasers. Then there is crew, crew space and related life support. So, you have- probably- something a bit smaller than the size of the RMS Destroyer the size of the Hawkwing but not a modern RMN DD prior to the Roland series.
For classification it's a frigate. Its a hypercapable warship smaller than a destroyer.
As with so many RMN designs, it is also capable of fighting above it's weight class relative to almost anyone else's warships.
Post by Jonathan_S   » Mon Jul 18, 2016 9:50 am

Jonathan_S
Fleet Admiral

Brigade XO wrote:"Effectively, they were hyper-capable versions of the Royal Manticoran Navy's Shrike-class LAC but with about twice the missile capacity and a pair of spinal-mounted grasers, with the second energy weapon bearing aft. "

Ok, you scale up a Shrike- sort of. Need to allow for the fusion plant, the sails (it's hyper capable) the additional missle capacity (tubes and magazine space) and grasers. Then there is crew, crew space and related life support. So, you have- probably- something a bit smaller than the size of the RMS Destroyer the size of the Hawkwing but not a modern RMN DD prior to the Roland series.
For classification it's a frigate. Its a hypercapable warship smaller than a destroyer.
As with so many RMN designs, it is also capable of fighting above it's weight class relative to almost anyone else's warships.

While I do seem to recall RFC saying the Nat Turners had magazines, one alternate way to read that quote would be that they have 2x the missile capacity only because their aft hammerhead mirror their front one; so if both have Shrike style rotary launchers then 2x the launchers (due to stalling them in the rear as well) automatically means 2x the missiles.
Post by Roguevictory   » Tue Jul 19, 2016 2:41 am

Roguevictory
Captain of the List

I'm hoping that specs for the Nat Turner, John Brown, and maybe the Gryf class frigates will appear in the third House of ... book because I think I read somewhere on the fourm that Silesia, and Torch will be covered in it.

I'm still disappointed that the specs for the Lightning class Frigate, Victory class Frigate, and whatever class of frigate Osprey belonged to if she wasn't a Lightning weren't in House of Steel.
Post by munroburton   » Tue Jul 19, 2016 3:21 am

munroburton
Admiral

Roguevictory wrote:I'm hoping that specs for the Nat Turner, John Brown, and maybe the Gryf class frigates will appear in the third House of ... book because I think I read somewhere on the fourm that Silesia, and Torch will be covered in it.

I'm still disappointed that the specs for the Lightning class Frigate, Victory class Frigate, and whatever class of frigate Osprey belonged to if she wasn't a Lightning weren't in House of Steel.

I wouldn't be too sure about that. House of Lies has Haven and Anderman and House of Shadows is to cover the Mesans and Sollies. There might be some info on Silesia in either of the upcoming two, but no mention of Torch IIRC.

Perhaps there could be a fourth Companion? Covering Erewhon, Maya and Torch. ;)
Post by Dauntless   » Tue Jul 19, 2016 8:10 am

Dauntless
Rear Admiral

munroburton wrote:
Roguevictory wrote:I'm hoping that specs for the Nat Turner, John Brown, and maybe the Gryf class frigates will appear in the third House of ... book because I think I read somewhere on the fourm that Silesia, and Torch will be covered in it.

I wouldn't be too sure about that. House of Lies has Haven and Anderman and House of Shadows is to cover the Mesans and Sollies. There might be some info on Silesia in either of the upcoming two, but no mention of Torch IIRC.

definitely need a fourth. hell i'd take a fifth if we can find enough new navies/nations to learn about.
Post by Roguevictory   » Tue Jul 19, 2016 6:43 pm

Roguevictory
Captain of the List

munroburton wrote:

Oh well I could still see Torch in book three because it is a Mesan system that rebelled.
Post by Somtaaw   » Tue Jul 19, 2016 7:40 pm

Somtaaw
Rear Admiral

Or just an omnibus, all companions in one "book" edition, which will also include any major players that weren't put into the original companions.

That'd work too and could also contain updated information that wasn't included in the originals
Post by Jonathan_S   » Tue Jul 19, 2016 9:41 pm

Jonathan_S
Fleet Admiral

Somtaaw wrote:Or just an omnibus, all companions in one "book" edition, which will also include any major players that weren't put into the original companions.

That'd work too and could also contain updated information that wasn't included in the originals

Heck I'd pay for digital only supplements and errata.

But yes, there's plenty I'd like to know beyond what's in HoS. All the details that used to be in Jaynes and more. Missile launcher make and cycle times, missile classes fired, full accel specs on the missiles, total number of control link (both offensive and defensive) available on broadside and hammer head, compensator design generation, expanded refit history, etc, etc.

You know all the stuff to tend let some of us totally geek out (and unfortunately lock RFC in on a bunch of tech bible stuff he'd probably like to keep flexible). Plus take his time away from working on the novels. :(

Return to Honorverse