Topic Actions

Topic Search

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Google [Bot], markusschaber and 156 guests

Potential Future or Current Ship Names

Join us in talking discussing all things Honor, including (but not limited to) tactics, favorite characters, and book discussions.
Re: Potential Future or Current Ship Names
Post by saber964   » Thu Jul 21, 2016 8:23 pm

saber964
Admiral

drinksmuchcoffee wrote:For the Graysons, a Samurai-class would be appropriate:

GSN Oda Nobunaga
GSN Toyotomi Hideyoshi
GSN Takeda Shingen
GSN Date Masamune
GSN Tokugawa Ieyasu
GSN Miyamoto Musashi
GSN Uesugi Kenshin
GSN Hattori Hanzō
GSN Honda Tadakatsu
GSN Shimazu Yoshihisa

... and many more. Come to think of it, you could plausibly use those as Roland-class ship names.

I also like Revenge, Vengeance, and Retribution

My favorite ship names are from the Iain Banks Culture novels, but that is a very different universe. No More Mr Nice Guy and All Through With This Niceness And Negotiation Stuff would fit well with the spirit of upcoming Honorverse novels, I think.

Sounds like something out of Bucky O'Hare's command the Righteous Indignation. Or R.M. Meluch Tour of the Merrimack series U.N. Ships Windward Isles, Sunlit Meadows and Woodland Serenity.
Post by Shouts at Clouds   » Thu Jul 21, 2016 10:30 pm

Shouts at Clouds
Midshipman

The absence of a CLAC named HMS Jacqueline Harmon is a bit shocking.
Post by SharkHunter   » Thu Jul 21, 2016 11:13 pm

SharkHunter
Vice Admiral

Gun Boat Diplomacy wrote:imho,
i think there should be a HMS Nemesis (Greek Goddess of Revenge)
I liked it -- until the Enterprise crew rammed that green fellers ship right in the running lights. AKA used detrimentally in another series. Oh well, one is a fictional TV series, the other is... oh wait. A fictional book series, sixteen centuries later. As you were.
---------------------
All my posts are YMMV, IMHO, and welcoming polite discussion, extension, and rebuttal. This is the HonorVerse, after all
Post by munroburton   » Fri Jul 22, 2016 4:03 am

munroburton
Admiral

SharkHunter wrote:
Gun Boat Diplomacy wrote:imho,
i think there should be a HMS Nemesis (Greek Goddess of Revenge)
I liked it -- until the Enterprise crew rammed that green fellers ship right in the running lights. AKA used detrimentally in another series. Oh well, one is a fictional TV series, the other is... oh wait. A fictional book series, sixteen centuries later. As you were.

IIRC, the big Romulan ship in Nemesis was called the Scimitar.

Pretty sure the PRN had one - it would have been a Sword-class CA.
Post by Dauntless   » Fri Jul 22, 2016 9:40 am

Dauntless
Rear Admiral

found this else where but liked it.

explorer/scout class called Of course we are coming back
Post by Jonathan_S   » Fri Jul 22, 2016 11:24 am

Jonathan_S
Fleet Admiral

Rob the Fiend wrote:HMS "Nasty Kitty" (Hexapuma) is already in use. Right?
Sadly, not anymore. Lost (while docked for repair) during Oyster Bay. "HMS Hexapuma blew up with all hands as the Mesan graser ripped across her fusion plant" [MoH: Ch29]
Post by Weird Harold   » Fri Jul 22, 2016 1:07 pm

Weird Harold
Fleet Admiral

Jonathan_S wrote:Sadly, not anymore. Lost (while docked for repair) during Oyster Bay. "HMS Hexapuma blew up with all hands as the Mesan graser ripped across her fusion plant" [MoH: Ch29]

But HMS Hexapuma was added to the Roll Of Honor to be kept permanently in commission; the name will be given to one of the next ships to commission.

Manticore's Roll of Honor is already fairly long. Are they going to have to maintain a fairly large peacetime navy to keep them all in commission?
Answers! I got lots of answers!

(Now if I could just find the right questions.)
Post by Louis R   » Fri Jul 22, 2016 2:26 pm

Louis R
Rear Admiral

The list has certainly gotten longer in the last 20 years, but it may not be as long as all that. If inclusion is an honor commemorating the actions of a ship and its crew, then even now there may be fewer than 200 names all told. People could be surprised by the names that _aren't_ on it, too. Is Edward Saganami? Has any of the probably numerous Eddies had the opportunity to earn the honor, as Nike had to?

Weird Harold wrote:
Jonathan_S wrote:Sadly, not anymore. Lost (while docked for repair) during Oyster Bay. "HMS Hexapuma blew up with all hands as the Mesan graser ripped across her fusion plant" [MoH: Ch29]

But HMS Hexapuma was added to the Roll Of Honor to be kept permanently in commission; the name will be given to one of the next ships to commission.

Manticore's Roll of Honor is already fairly long. Are they going to have to maintain a fairly large peacetime navy to keep them all in commission?
Post by saber964   » Fri Jul 22, 2016 4:53 pm

saber964
Admiral

Shouts at Clouds wrote:The absence of a CLAC named HMS Jacqueline Harmon is a bit shocking.

She may be out there, but we just haven't seen her yet. But the RMN seems to name heavy cruisers after naval heroes e.g. HMS Alistair McKeon, HMS Jessica Epps, HMS Edward Saginami and HMS Quintin Saint James
Post by zyffyr   » Fri Jul 22, 2016 8:27 pm

zyffyr
Lieutenant Commander

Weird Harold wrote:

Considering the amount of territory they have acquired recently, they will be needing a fairly large navy anyway. Of course, if the list does prove to be longer than the actual size all they have to do is change the policy to "no non-list names will be assigned unless all list names are in use and new construction will have the name that has been unused the longest assigned. Exception will be made to preserve the Must Always Be A Battlecruiser Named Nike rule."

Return to Honorverse