Topic Actions

Topic Search

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Google Feedfetcher and 162 guests

Question about Medusa SD(P)s

Join us in talking discussing all things Honor, including (but not limited to) tactics, favorite characters, and book discussions.
Re: Question about Medusa SD(P)s
Post by Jonathan_S   » Sun Jul 17, 2016 10:21 am

Jonathan_S
Fleet Admiral

munroburton wrote:
Jonathan_S wrote:I think a few other SDs did get launchers for Mk41s. The last few Steadholder Denevski units, the ones delayed to get the first Harringtons out ASAP, seem like reasonable candiates. As, possibly, could be the last few Gryphons laid down. The closest I found to evidence is a passing mention in Echoes of Honor, and the passage is duplicated in the HoS novella, that the Mantie launch at Barnett which kicked off Buttercup was "launched from pods and shipboard tubes [...]". But that could have just been the ones from his CLACs, which we know mounted MDM tubes.

Harringtons have 32 launchers per broadside and Medusas have 26. Both classes have bow launchers as well.

I concur that BtG only ever had SDM tubes. It may have been built the same year as Minotaur, but given the timescales involved, construction probably started later on the Minnie.
Good point, that quote could have been covering the MDM tubes on the CLACs and SD(P)s.

And Bengie was actually put in service the year before Minotaur (1911 vs 1912 PD); so Minotaur was almost certainly started later. [G]
Re: Question about Medusa SD(P)s
Post by HungryKing   » Mon Jul 18, 2016 9:13 pm

HungryKing
Captain (Junior Grade)

The Benji and its sibs were the first vessels built on the third flight Gryphon chassis design, as far as I can tell, they were too far along to accept the MDMs (which would have been mk 41s prospectus), prompting their mod into flagships. Medusas, Harringtons, and, probably, Invicti, are built on the same frame. Manticore did build some capacitor MDM SDs, though it is not clear if they are a block upgrade on second flight gryphons or if there were some actual third fight gryphons. Per HoS they also rebuilt some Gryphons to carry mk 23s.
*edited to correct HoS. (Was Sos)

Return to Honorverse