Topic Actions

Topic Search

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Robert_A_Woodward and 150 guests

Valiant vs Avalon

Join us in talking discussing all things Honor, including (but not limited to) tactics, favorite characters, and book discussions.
Valiant vs Avalon
Post by Dauntless   » Sat Jul 16, 2016 8:31 am

Dauntless
Rear Admiral

having just been looking at the wedge strength topic i noticed an oddity in these two CL desings.

now the general trend for units for pretty much the entirety of the 2 haven wars was that units got bigger, tougher and nastier.

so why is the Avalon which is newer then the Valiant smaller?

ok yes the difference is only 10K tons but it seems odd, that a nearly 20 year trend is ignored.
Re: Valiant vs Avalon
Post by Jonathan_S   » Sat Jul 16, 2016 8:42 am

Jonathan_S
Fleet Admiral

Dauntless wrote:having just been looking at the wedge strength topic i noticed an oddity in these two CL desings.

now the general trend for units for pretty much the entirety of the 2 haven wars was that units got bigger, tougher and nastier.

ok yes the difference is only 10K tons but it seems odd, that a nearly 20 year trend is ignored.

Interesting question. House of Steel does describe the old Valiant class as being a "departure in typical RMN light cruiser design" and that it's considered cramped and short ranged (for a CL) despite their larger size.

OTOH the slightly smaller Avalon (presumably due to automationand minaturization) managed to cram in a heavier missile broadside 10 LERMs vs 8 (smaller) SDMs, and more point defense (though fewer energy batteries) on it's slightly smaller length.

At a guess BuShips defined what capabilities and firepower they wanted and then built the ship to that and it happened to come out a bit lighter. The other way to design is to pick your target size then see what fits; bit it seems unlikely they took that approach since it would be, as you said, odd to deliberately pick a slightly smaller size.
Post by darrell   » Sat Jul 16, 2016 9:53 am

darrell
Rear Admiral

Jonathan_S wrote:
Dauntless wrote:having just been looking at the wedge strength topic i noticed an oddity in these two CL desings.

Interesting question. House of Steel does describe the old Valiant class as being a "departure in typical RMN light cruiser design" and that it's considered cramped and short ranged (for a CL) despite their larger size.

OTOH the slightly smaller Avalon (presumably due to automationand minaturization) managed to cram in a heavier missile broadside 10 LERMs vs 8 (smaller) SDMs, and more point defense (though fewer energy batteries) on it's slightly smaller length.

At a guess BuShips defined what capabilities and firepower they wanted and then built the ship to that and it happened to come out a bit lighter. The other way to design is to pick your target size then see what fits; bit it seems unlikely they took that approach since it would be, as you said, odd to deliberately pick a slightly smaller size.

I notice that HoS rarely gives missile storage, so possibly the avalon has smaller missile magazines.
<><><><><><><><><><><><>
Logic: an organized way to go wrong, with confidence.
Post by MaxxQ   » Sat Jul 16, 2016 10:06 am

MaxxQ
BuNine

darrell wrote:
Jonathan_S wrote:Interesting question. House of Steel does describe the old Valiant class as being a "departure in typical RMN light cruiser design" and that it's considered cramped and short ranged (for a CL) despite their larger size.

I notice that HoS rarely gives missile storage, so possibly the avalon has smaller missile magazines.

Looking at the handy-dandy spreadsheet, I noticed that the Avalon has slightly larger magazines (20 missiles per tube, as opposed to the Valiant's 18), but no chase missile tubes, either fore or aft, probably due to off-bore firing capability. The Valiant has three tubes per chase and no off-bore firing.

The other point of note is that the magazines for the Avalon's CM tubes are nearly 6 times deeper than those of the Valiant.
Post by munroburton   » Sat Jul 16, 2016 10:37 am

munroburton
Admiral

The answer lies in the Heavy Cruiser section of HoS.

The Avalon is based on the Saganami-B - there is no CL sister to the first Saganami, although its original proposal might have been somewhat related to the Valiant(since the Sag-A's first paper study was back in 1903).

Though it was billed as a block upgrade to the Flight II Saganami, the Saganami-B class is a radical departure from the original design. Originally on the books as Flight III Saganami, the difference in armament led to its re-designation upon commissioning of the first unit.

Less than 10% larger than a Saganami, the Saganami-B has a modified hullform to accommodate a broadside over 50% larger than that of the older ship. Its broadside of nineteen missile launchers and ten grasers more than double the armament of some older heavy cruisers still in service and, with active defenses equally upgraded, the Saganami-B is more than a match for most contemporary battlecruisers. On the passive side, electronics have been upgraded yet again, and the bow wall is joined by an equally powerful stern wall. The second generation missile launchers are capable of limited off-bore fire into adjacent arcs, though the chase telemetry arrays limit them to realtime control of less than half the total salvo they could launch.

No other RMN light cruiser has had more than two grasers and aside from the Courageous and Valiant, they all had five missile launchers per broadside. To the Avalon's four and ten.
Post by SharkHunter   » Sat Jul 16, 2016 1:59 pm

SharkHunter
Vice Admiral

Doesn't that make it fun to think what an an "Avalon, next" design might do for some hurt, aka a CL between the Roland and Sag-C size, designed to fill in the gap where a Roland is not quite enough and a Sag-C is -- well, needed elsewhere.

I'm thinking of course - racked pods plus a couple racked Mycrofts (why not, right?). Somewhere in the middle for tube based missiles, and enough Marines to let it operate solo as needed.
---------------------
All my posts are YMMV, IMHO, and welcoming polite discussion, extension, and rebuttal. This is the HonorVerse, after all
Post by Weird Harold   » Sat Jul 16, 2016 2:13 pm

Weird Harold
Fleet Admiral

Dauntless wrote:so why is the Avalon which is newer then the Valiant smaller?

Acceleration might have something to do with the size, along with off-bore missiles, miniaturization, automation reducing life-support tonnage etc.

House of Steel lists the Valiant at "80% Accel: 413.2 G (4.052 kps²)" and the Avalon at "80% Accel: 599.9 G (5.883 kps²)." The difference has to be largely new-style compensators but smaller size means more possible acceleration
Answers! I got lots of answers!

(Now if I could just find the right questions.)
Post by Jonathan_S   » Sat Jul 16, 2016 3:18 pm

Jonathan_S
Fleet Admiral

Weird Harold wrote:
Dauntless wrote:so why is the Avalon which is newer then the Valiant smaller?

Acceleration might have something to do with the size, along with off-bore missiles, miniaturization, automation reducing life-support tonnage etc.

House of Steel lists the Valiant at "80% Accel: 413.2 G (4.052 kps²)" and the Avalon at "80% Accel: 599.9 G (5.883 kps²)." The difference has to be largely new-style compensators but smaller size means more possible acceleration

The 8000 tons difference between them appears to make up 0.08% of their acceleration difference. (So 99.92% is the new compensator)

Also the 80% power settings shaving 8000 tons off the Valiant design would only boost a ship's accel by a pretty minuscule 0.33g.

A long winded way of saying that I doubt they shaved those tons just for that minuscule improvement - seems far more likely it's side effect of designing Avalon for a given capability and letting the size fall where it will.
Post by Weird Harold   » Sat Jul 16, 2016 4:25 pm

Weird Harold
Fleet Admiral

Jonathan_S wrote:A long winded way of saying that I doubt they shaved those tons just for that minuscule improvement - seems far more likely it's side effect of designing Avalon for a given capability and letting the size fall where it will.

Well I did say it was one of many factors. :P

I noticed the accel difference and forgot why I went to House Of Steel in the first place:

Service life for the Avalon is listed as: "1919–present."

That means it was designed and the first flight built under the High Ridge/Janacek Administration and if they could trumpet any sort of savings they would. Making the Avalon 10 tons lighter might have saved ten centicreds as far as the public knew, even if the ship actually cost more than a Valiant.
Answers! I got lots of answers!

(Now if I could just find the right questions.)
Post by Theemile   » Sat Jul 16, 2016 6:38 pm

Theemile
Fleet Admiral

SharkHunter wrote:Doesn't that make it fun to think what an an "Avalon, next" design might do for some hurt, aka a CL between the Roland and Sag-C size, designed to fill in the gap where a Roland is not quite enough and a Sag-C is -- well, needed elsewhere.

I'm thinking of course - racked pods plus a couple racked Mycrofts (why not, right?). Somewhere in the middle for tube based missiles, and enough Marines to let it operate solo as needed.

If we presuppose that any ship designed in the current generations has to have one of 4 missiles - Mk 16, Mk 23, LAC, or Viper - we can assume that the Sag-C CL consort would have mk 16s, just like the Roland. But we know the Sag-C hullform is the smallest which can hold broadside tubes.

so 2 options,
1) a modified Roland, with ~8 missiles clustered in each hammerhead.
or
2) a unconditional "stubby" design, with the beam of Sag-C, slightly shallower in Draught, and inordinately shorter, but no faster than a Sag-C, probably with 10-12 tubes in each broadside.

I think it can be assumed that any design will have a Marine section and a larger crew than a Roland, but smaller than an Avalon. It will also have significantly larger magazines than a Roland.

thoughts?
RFC said "refitting a Beowulfan SD to Manticoran standards would be just as difficult as refitting a standard SLN SD to those standards. In other words, it would be cheaper and faster to build new ships."

Return to Honorverse