Topic Actions

Topic Search

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 161 guests

Hauptman Theory

Join us in talking discussing all things Honor, including (but not limited to) tactics, favorite characters, and book discussions.
Hauptman Theory
Post by Westbrook 49   » Thu Jul 14, 2016 2:16 pm

Westbrook 49
Lieutenant (Senior Grade)

This is something that's been percolating in my head for a bit, and I thought I'd trot it out there.

So, we know that the Hauptman family is vehemently against genetic slavery. Klaus and Stacey picked up the tab for the Nat Turner's for Torch, and Hauptman helped fund Harvest Joy's expedition to Torch as well. The Hauptman Foundation as well fights against gene slavery, and it's a contributor to the Anti-Slavery League.

Now, it could be (and most likely is) that the Hauptman's are like Cathy Montaigne-people who (rightfully so) hate the concept and practice of the genetic slavery trade and all of it's workings, and even though they have nothing to do with it personally, are determined to wipe it out.

But what if it's a more personal angle?

We don't get to see Klaus' wife, Stacey's mother, mentioned a lot, only that she died fairly shortly after Stacy was born and that Stacey inherited a lot of her good looks. We also know that Eric Hauptman, Stacey's grandfather, set up the Foundation that she now heads.

My theory then, is that the fight against gene slavery is in fact rather personal for the Hauptman's-that sometime in their family history, fairly recently, one of them was a descendant of a rescued gene slave or married one.

Originally, I was considering that it was Klaus' wife who was the connection. Her good looks (potential pleasure slave?) and sudden death (which given the Star Kingdom's medical care and Hautpman's own resources, with Beowulf just a jump away, seems a bit odd; could she have a gene issue from Manpower's breeding pits?) led me to that.

But the fact that Eric Hauptman, Klaus' father set up the Foundation, pushed me to think that it might be a bit higher up the gene tree. If Eric was descended from a gene slave, either his mom or dad (since we know practically nothing about the Hauptman's aside from old Heinrich and the current generation), it would definitely instill a bred-in-the-bone hatred of Mesa and Manpower. Same as if Eric himself married a gene slave, again a possibility, as we know nothing about Klaus' mother. This would also contribute to Hautpman's "common man" image, as he would be a grandson or son of a freed gene slave or their descendant, as well as a direct descendant of a "zero-balancer."

It's a strong possibility, and one I really like from a storytelling perspective.
Re: Hauptman Theory
Post by Greentea   » Thu Jul 14, 2016 3:45 pm

Greentea
Commander

Westbrook 49 wrote:This is something that's been percolating in my head for a bit, and I thought I'd trot it out there.

So, we know that the Hauptman family is vehemently against genetic slavery. Klaus and Stacey picked up the tab for the Nat Turner's for Torch, and Hauptman helped fund Harvest Joy's expedition to Torch as well. The Hauptman Foundation as well fights against gene slavery, and it's a contributor to the Anti-Slavery League.

Now, it could be (and most likely is) that the Hauptman's are like Cathy Montaigne-people who (rightfully so) hate the concept and practice of the genetic slavery trade and all of it's workings, and even though they have nothing to do with it personally, are determined to wipe it out.

We don't get to see Klaus' wife, Stacey's mother, mentioned a lot, only that she died fairly shortly after Stacy was born and that Stacey inherited a lot of her good looks. We also know that Eric Hauptman, Stacey's grandfather, set up the Foundation that she now heads.

My theory then, is that the fight against gene slavery is in fact rather personal for the Hauptman's-that sometime in their family history, fairly recently, one of them was a descendant of a rescued gene slave or married one.

Originally, I was considering that it was Klaus' wife who was the connection. Her good looks (potential pleasure slave?) and sudden death (which given the Star Kingdom's medical care and Hautpman's own resources, with Beowulf just a jump away, seems a bit odd; could she have a gene issue from Manpower's breeding pits?) led me to that.

But the fact that Eric Hauptman, Klaus' father set up the Foundation, pushed me to think that it might be a bit higher up the gene tree. If Eric was descended from a gene slave, either his mom or dad (since we know practically nothing about the Hauptman's aside from old Heinrich and the current generation), it would definitely instill a bred-in-the-bone hatred of Mesa and Manpower. Same as if Eric himself married a gene slave, again a possibility, as we know nothing about Klaus' mother. This would also contribute to Hautpman's "common man" image, as he would be a grandson or son of a freed gene slave or their descendant, as well as a direct descendant of a "zero-balancer."

It's a strong possibility, and one I really like from a storytelling perspective.

Theoretically, it could be multiple places in the family. Descendants of escaped slaves are likely to marry other escaped slaves. So it could very well be in the family a few times. Eric also could have done it as a memorial to his dead daughter-in-law. However, this is all speculation.
Cup of tea? Yes, please.
Post by Dauntless   » Fri Jul 15, 2016 8:03 am

Dauntless
Rear Admiral

all speculation but it is good speculation and would explain a lot about why the Hauptman's are so anti slave.
Post by saber964   » Fri Jul 15, 2016 6:45 pm

saber964
Admiral

Greentea wrote:
Westbrook 49 wrote:This is something that's been percolating in my head for a bit, and I thought I'd trot it out there.

Theoretically, it could be multiple places in the family. Descendants of escaped slaves are likely to marry other escaped slaves. So it could very well be in the family a few times. Eric also could have done it as a memorial to his dead daughter-in-law. However, this is all speculation.

In some of the cases the freed slaves marry either a member of the crew or a close relative. E.g. IIRC Van Hale family Judson's father married the sister of one of the ships officers.
Post by Westbrook 49   » Fri Jul 15, 2016 11:23 pm

Westbrook 49
Lieutenant (Senior Grade)

Greentea wrote:

You're right, there could be a number of ex-slaves or descendants of in the family, and Eric could have certainly done that.

It is, but it's speculation that I like, and it's a good story.
Post by saber964   » Sat Jul 16, 2016 7:09 pm

saber964
Admiral

Westbrook 49 wrote:
Greentea" quote="Westbrook 49 wrote:This is something that's been percolating in my head for a bit, and I thought I'd trot it out there.

You're right, there could be a number of ex-slaves or descendants of in the family, and Eric could have certainly done that.

It is, but it's speculation that I like, and it's a good story.[/quote]

Well we do know that an ex-slave married into the Winton family fairly recently.
Post by George J. Smith   » Sun Jul 17, 2016 4:17 am

George J. Smith
Commodore

Well we do know that an ex-slave married into the Winton family fairly recently.

But that wasn't a genetic slave, rather a Grayson who was "enslaved" by a Masadan.
T&R
GJS

A man should live forever, or die in the attempt
Spider Robinson Callahan's Crosstime Saloon (1977) A voice is heard in Ramah
Post by saber964   » Sun Jul 17, 2016 11:45 am

saber964
Admiral

George J. Smith wrote:

But that wasn't a genetic slave, rather a Grayson who was "enslaved" by a Masadan.

Technically Grayson's are genetically modified.
Post by George J. Smith   » Sun Jul 17, 2016 1:35 pm

George J. Smith
Commodore

saber964 wrote:

Yes but not Genetic Slaves
T&R
GJS

A man should live forever, or die in the attempt
Spider Robinson Callahan's Crosstime Saloon (1977) A voice is heard in Ramah
Post by saber964   » Sun Jul 17, 2016 10:57 pm

saber964
Admiral

George J. Smith wrote:
saber964 wrote:

Yes but not Genetic Slaves[/quote]

Well Masadan females were genetic slaves.

Return to Honorverse