Topic Actions

Topic Search

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 44 guests

Deluxe Leatherbound Flag In Exile edition

Join us in talking discussing all things Honor, including (but not limited to) tactics, favorite characters, and book discussions.
Re: Deluxe Leatherbound Flag In Exile edition
Post by Duckk   » Fri Jul 15, 2016 7:53 am

Duckk
Site Admin

In addition to being a small print run, they're also signed.
-------------------------
Shields at 50%, taunting at 100%! - Tom Pope
Post by TestudoHanrow   » Sat Jul 16, 2016 2:44 pm

TestudoHanrow
Midshipman

Long time lurker, first time poster. :)

Question: how far in advance are people ordering these? I pre-ordered this about a month ago - however the delivery date came and went and the online retailer I ordered from went right from "Pre-order" to "Out of Stock".

Given what people have said about the small print runs, am I probably SOL?

Thanks.
Post by Duckk   » Sat Jul 16, 2016 3:03 pm

Duckk
Site Admin

For example, I ordered Flag in Exile in November of last year on Amazon. Before that, I ordered Field of Dishonor in January 2015, which was released in June.
-------------------------
Shields at 50%, taunting at 100%! - Tom Pope
Post by Jonathan_S   » Sat Jul 16, 2016 3:34 pm

Jonathan_S
Fleet Admiral

TestudoHanrow wrote:Long time lurker, first time poster. :)

Question: how far in advance are people ordering these? I pre-ordered this about a month ago - however the delivery date came and went and the online retailer I ordered from went right from "Pre-order" to "Out of Stock".

Thanks.
The last one I preordered pretty much the moment I noticed it was possible to do so on Amazon; so this past November (8 months out).

But looking at my order history there was a trend towards ordering earlier (or maybe Amazon started listing them earlier).
Flag in Exile I preordered ~6 months early, Short Victorious War only 2-3 months early, and the first pair I seem to have ordered within days-weeks of their release.

But I knew that the limited orders were selling out faster, and more people were posting here hoping to find a copy after they'd released. So I've been more attentive about pre-ordering ASAP. (And there's little downside to an long pre-order at Amazon; you can cancel at any time and you aren't charged until the book is ready to ship to you)
Post by OrlandoNative   » Sat Jul 16, 2016 6:54 pm

OrlandoNative
Captain (Junior Grade)

saber964 wrote:
OrlandoNative wrote:I really don't see much point in buying a book like that.

*If* I were a library, and a leatherbound edition tended to last longer, then maybe. But for personal use?

I have paperbacks that I've had for decades, some of which have been re-read many times. I can have far more of them on my shelves than I can hardcovers. For that matter, I usually have paperback and ebook... ...ebooks just travel so much better, and you can obviously carry many, many more with you. Yes, I like to sit down at home with a good book in a comfortable chair; but the book doesn't have to be hardcover.

Because they only print them in limited numbers. IIRC its 1000 books and they become instant collectors items.

Maybe, but since collectors rarely, if ever, sell anything out of their collections, then, again, what's the point? True, there may be some value to their heirs when they die and the estate sale happens, but as far as I'm concerned, if I want to read a book I'm not really going to care if the copy I'm reading is paperback, hardcover, or digital media. Now, if I like it, and I think my wife might as well, having a physical book is, again, nice. But if I had only bought hardcovers, then for the amount of money I've spent I would only have about 1/4 to 1/2 the number of books I have now. 10 paperbacks will probably cost you $100 or less. 10 hardcovers somewhere between $250 and $500. I've got thousands of books, but there's no way I could if I'd paid that higher price.

For that matter, I wouldn't have as many as I have either if it weren't for used book and thrift stores. My wife will shop Barnes and Noble for certain volumes she's missing in a series; and I will sometimes do so for certain series I follow as well; but the bulk of our physical books actually come from thrift stores; where you can often find a paperback in as good (or sometimes better) condition than at the local B&N for $1. 5 books for $50 at B&N vs 50 books for $50 at Goodwill. Pretty much a no brainer.

Usually, though, if I'm in a big hurry, I'll get an ebook online; and pick up a physical copy when I find one at a "better than new" price. Even then, some ebooks, IMHO, are priced way higher than they should be. I don't mind supporting my favorite authors, but somehow I doubt most of that price goes back to them. And digital media is sooooo cheap to produce; compared to actual hardcopy.
"Yield to temptation, it may not pass your way again."
Post by OrlandoNative   » Sat Jul 16, 2016 6:58 pm

OrlandoNative
Captain (Junior Grade)

Jonathan_S wrote:
TestudoHanrow wrote:Long time lurker, first time poster. :)

Thanks.
The last one I preordered pretty much the moment I noticed it was possible to do so on Amazon; so this past November (8 months out).

But looking at my order history there was a trend towards ordering earlier (or maybe Amazon started listing them earlier).
Flag in Exile I preordered ~6 months early, Short Victorious War only 2-3 months early, and the first pair I seem to have ordered within days-weeks of their release.

But I knew that the limited orders were selling out faster, and more people were posting here hoping to find a copy after they'd released. So I've been more attentive about pre-ordering ASAP. (And there's little downside to an long pre-order at Amazon; you can cancel at any time and you aren't charged until the book is ready to ship to you)

If you really want one, look on eBay. I'm convinced some folks pre-order several of the limited editions, then soak the folks who missed out as much as possible.

If your desire for a copy of a limited edition publishing run exceeds your desire to save money, look there.
Post by clancy688   » Sat Jul 16, 2016 8:09 pm

clancy688
Captain of the List

OrlandoNative wrote:I really don't see much point in buying a book like that.

Thanks to the Baen Free Library I never paid for any Honorverse book before ART.

So now I'm kinda atoning for that by buying all the leatherbounds... :D

Oh, and my book got rescheduled to Tuesday. :(
Post by OrlandoNative   » Sat Jul 16, 2016 9:35 pm

OrlandoNative
Captain (Junior Grade)

clancy688 wrote:Thanks to the Baen Free Library I never paid for any Honorverse book before ART.

You must not have read many of them, then, since only a few are in there.

I think at one time there may have been a few more, but still not even close all the titles prior to ART.
Post by Weird Harold   » Sat Jul 16, 2016 9:47 pm

Weird Harold
Fleet Admiral

OrlandoNative wrote:
clancy688 wrote:Thanks to the Baen Free Library I never paid for any Honorverse book before ART.

You must not have read many of them, then, since only a few are in there.

I think at one time there may have been a few more, but still not even close all the titles prior to ART.

Everything through Mission of Honor is available in the CD image/ZIP file at http://baencd.thefifthimperium.com/ You can no longer download individual books, but you can still download the ISO or ZIP archives. It is where I got most of my electronic copies.
Answers! I got lots of answers!

(Now if I could just find the right questions.)
Post by TestudoHanrow   » Mon Jul 18, 2016 11:22 pm

TestudoHanrow
Midshipman

Jonathan_S wrote:But I knew that the limited orders were selling out faster, and more people were posting here hoping to find a copy after they'd released. So I've been more attentive about pre-ordering ASAP. (And there's little downside to an long pre-order at Amazon; you can cancel at any time and you aren't charged until the book is ready to ship to you)

I live in Canada, so I ordered through a big Canadian book seller (Indigo - our version of Barnes and Noble). I'm not sure any distributor in Canada got it though - I poked around at some other Canadian websites, and they all are out of stock too.

Anyway, thanks for the answers. If Indigo waited to see how much demand there was before getting a shipment from the distributor, maybe I'll see something in a few weeks. If I can't get the book, oh well.

Thanks again.

Return to Honorverse