Topic Actions

Topic Search

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 152 guests

Khumalo vs Gold Peak

Join us in talking discussing all things Honor, including (but not limited to) tactics, favorite characters, and book discussions.
Khumalo vs Gold Peak
Post by GabrialSagan   » Mon Jul 04, 2016 9:23 pm

GabrialSagan
Lieutenant (Senior Grade)

I am a little confused about what their respective responsibilities are in the Talbott Quadrant. It seems like they effectively have the same job, only Gold Peak is the one who is in actual command of 10th fleet, making Khumalo redundant. What does Khumalo actually do that is separate from Gold Peak's command?
Re: Khumalo vs Gold Peak
Post by saber964   » Mon Jul 04, 2016 9:42 pm

saber964
Admiral

GabrialSagan wrote:I am a little confused about what their respective responsibilities are in the Talbott Quadrant. It seems like they effectively have the same job, only Gold Peak is the one who is in actual command of 10th fleet, making Khumalo redundant. What does Khumalo actually do that is separate from Gold Peak's command?

For a RW analogy think of WWII in the Pacific. Nimitz was CinC PacFleet he essentially commanded all naval forces in the Pacific. While Spruance(5th Fleet) Halsey(3rd Fleet) and Kinkade(7th Fleet) were his fleet commanders, they operated at his general direction.
Post by munroburton   » Mon Jul 04, 2016 9:47 pm

munroburton
Admiral

Khumalo is effectively the First Space Lord for Talbott.

I view his role as similar to the British Commander-in-Chief, India. In a hierarchial sense, anyway.

As to actual responsibilities - for starters, he's got to build up, train and integrate sixteen new system defense forces and eliminate any friction between them and the 'proper' RMN.

I think there are several ships not in Tenth Fleet's table of organisation. The older ships originally assigned to Talbott, for example and perhaps a few more since(to replace the ones Terekhov lost). Gold Peak could commandeer them just as Terekhov did, but officially they're assigned to the Talbott Station and not Tenth Fleet, even though Tenth Fleet is also assigned to the Station.

I hope that makes sense!
Post by Weird Harold   » Mon Jul 04, 2016 9:58 pm

Weird Harold
Fleet Admiral

GabrialSagan wrote:I am a little confused about what their respective responsibilities are in the Talbott Quadrant. It seems like they effectively have the same job, only Gold Peak is the one who is in actual command of 10th fleet, making Khumalo redundant. What does Khumalo actually do that is separate from Gold Peak's command?

IIRC, Adm Khumalo commands the self-defense forces and Talbott Quadrant "guard" forces. 10th Fleet is only part of those defenses.

Also, I seem to recall that 10th fleet represents the mobile forces under Khumalo's command: When Crandall arrived, he formally turned command of Split's defense to 10th Fleet.

Mission of Honor
Chapter Four wrote:
"Well," Khumalo said with more than a little regret, "I suppose it's time." He raised his voice slightly. "Communications, pass the word to Tristram. Instruct Commander Kaplan to execute Paul Revere. Then contact Commodore Terekhov and inform him that Code Yankee is now in effect. Captain Saunders," he looked down at the command chair com display tied into Hercules' command deck, "tactical command is passing to Commodore Terekhov at this time."

"Yes, Sir," Vicotria Saunders replied, and he sat back in his chair. Much as it galled him to admit it, Quentin Saint-James' fire control was far better suited to manage modern missile fire than his aged flagship's antiquated systems. He'd actually considered shifting his flag in order to exercise tactical command himself, and a part of him wished he had, even now. But efficiency was more important than getting his own combat command ticket punched. And Augustus Khumalo was too self honest to pretend he was in Aivars Terekhov's league as a combat commander.
Answers! I got lots of answers!

(Now if I could just find the right questions.)
Post by GabrialSagan   » Mon Jul 04, 2016 10:25 pm

GabrialSagan
Lieutenant (Senior Grade)

munroburton wrote:Khumalo is effectively the First Space Lord for Talbott.

I view his role as similar to the British Commander-in-Chief, India. In a hierarchial sense, anyway.

As to actual responsibilities - for starters, he's got to build up, train and integrate sixteen new system defense forces and eliminate any friction between them and the 'proper' RMN.

I think there are several ships not in Tenth Fleet's table of organisation. The older ships originally assigned to Talbott, for example and perhaps a few more since(to replace the ones Terekhov lost). Gold Peak could commandeer them just as Terekhov did, but officially they're assigned to the Talbott Station and not Tenth Fleet, even though Tenth Fleet is also assigned to the Station.

I hope that makes sense!

That makes perfect sense and clarifies it significantly. If I may restate, he is the supreme commander of all forces in Talbott including the local system defense forces and the Quadrant Guard.

Return to Honorverse