Topic Actions

Topic Search

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 66 guests

Updates from David

Join us in talking discussing all things Honor, including (but not limited to) tactics, favorite characters, and book discussions.
Re: Updates from David
Post by OrlandoNative   » Mon Jul 25, 2016 2:46 pm

OrlandoNative
Captain (Junior Grade)

George J. Smith wrote:Guys,

This is a thread we don't really want to hijack, can we keep it for the original purpose?

ie

Updates from David

Mmmm... I would tend to agree more with that if only updates *did* come on some sort of regular basis. Since that doesn't appear to be happening, we might as well continue. Unless Duckk would like to filter the "off topic" stuff into a different thread? Unfortunately, I'm not sure there's really a forum it fits in, however.
"Yield to temptation, it may not pass your way again."
Post by Louis R   » Mon Jul 25, 2016 4:23 pm

Louis R
Rear Admiral

While I agree in principle, there's still a valid point here: if motor vehicles generated better than one fatality for every 10 times out of the garage, we'd none of us be driving. For that matter, the odds of surviving to get your driver's license wouldn't be very encouraging. Even on fatalities per km I think STS outpoints motor vehicles, although that's a much fairer comparison.

OTOH, until fairly recently crossing the North Atlantic hasn't been without it's dangers. Mind you, disease was the primary killer, so it's something of an apples/oranges exercise. Still, emigration was not for the faint of heart, unless marched on board at gunpoint.

OrlandoNative wrote:
As for "manned vehicle failure" rates, tens of thousands of people are killed yearly in automobile crashes in the US alone. How many die in space or rocket accidents in the same time frame? If we still can't expect 0 fatalities utilizing vehicles that have been undergoing constant improvement for the past 100 years, why should we worry about every space fatality? Most auto accidents - even with fatalities - often go unreported by the media. Or at least relegated to the back pages of the "local news" section. I can't think of a *single* space accident that was so ignored, however.

*If* our ancestors had the same timid outlook we seem to have today, we'd either still be in Europe; or else the US would consist of only the Atlantic coast states. There was nothing "safe" about what the pioneers faced in moving westward. Why would we expect the exploration of space to be any different? If people are willing to take the risk, I say let them. Don't hold them back. Encountering problems leads to solutions. It's impossible to fix all problems if you don't know what they are to begin with, and the only way to really find them is to do something.

We seem to have forgotten that.
Post by saber964   » Mon Jul 25, 2016 4:39 pm

saber964
Admiral

Just received an email from Amazon. At the Sign of Triumph has been delayed until November 8 2016.
Post by BMeph   » Mon Jul 25, 2016 5:20 pm

BMeph
Midshipman

saber964 wrote:Just received an email from Amazon. At the Sign of Triumph has been delayed until November 8 2016.

I would say atSoT "is now scheduled for" 8 Nov, considering that until a certain point in the publishing process, the date is just a placeholder.

That said, 8 November would be Awesome!
Post by trader1_1   » Mon Jul 25, 2016 10:13 pm

trader1_1
Midshipman

BMeph wrote:
saber964 wrote:Just received an email from Amazon. At the Sign of Triumph has been delayed until November 8 2016.

I would say atSoT "is now scheduled for" 8 Nov, considering that until a certain point in the publishing process, the date is just a placeholder.

So can't wait for this book, and whats worse is that I know I'll have to wait another 2 years minimum before I can get the next one and even that one wont be the end which is a good thing kind of.
Post by George J. Smith   » Tue Jul 26, 2016 3:15 am

George J. Smith
Commodore

OrlandoNative wrote:
George J. Smith wrote:Guys,

This is a thread we don't really want to hijack, can we keep it for the original purpose?

ie

Updates from David

Mmmm... I would tend to agree more with that if only updates *did* come on some sort of regular basis. Since that doesn't appear to be happening, we might as well continue. Unless Duckk would like to filter the "off topic" stuff into a different thread? Unfortunately, I'm not sure there's really a forum it fits in, however.

Updates from David, information about revisions, delays, publishing dates, availability of snippets or similar.

It doesn't all have to be from David, just pertinent.
Last edited by George J. Smith on Wed Aug 03, 2016 1:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.
T&R
GJS

A man should live forever, or die in the attempt
Spider Robinson Callahan's Crosstime Saloon (1977) A voice is heard in Ramah
Post by C. O. Thompson   » Wed Aug 03, 2016 10:10 am

C. O. Thompson
Captain of the List

ksandgren wrote:Thanks, Duckk, for the update. Our experience with TOR is 12-18 month minimum delay after first draft submission, but they have sped things up to 4 to 9 months for David once before. Hopefully, with an existing series they might work to make it happen again.

Not sure what impact 'holiday' gift giving would play in any decisions at TOR... My personal thoughts and patterns of behavior have long been on the lines "if I don't have time to do it right... how will I ever find time to do it over???"
Me... I hate TV with commercials but would watch on NetFlix just fine but... yes, as has been mentioned in another post on this chat... millions are invested in CGI, Special Effects and set design (I saw the newest Star Trek yesterday and thought the dialogue much thinner than the motorcycle scene and how about 'jump starting' a warp drive)and I read at least one book a week... more often 3 or four, and I am trying to write with three different stories which could easily tie together so I think I have some sort of knowledge of how to use a yard stick.

In my humble opinion, there is no finer writer than David Weber and I have posted surprise and admiration for his craft as a story teller quite often since I first tossed my 2 ¢ into the pot.
Brick on brick, layer on layer, and timing is everything but I guess what David needs here is a Hollywood Agent.

OH... ONCE AGAIN...
I VOLUNTEER TO PROOFREAD THE DRAFTS <grin> (I already paid for my hard bound copy and one Kindle)
Just my 2 ₡ worth
Post by JohnRoth   » Wed Aug 03, 2016 10:33 am

JohnRoth
Admiral

BMeph wrote:

trader1_1 wrote:So can't wait for this book, and whats worse is that I know I'll have to wait another 2 years minimum before I can get the next one and even that one wont be the end which is a good thing kind of.

David has said there are two more books, of which this is the first, and IIRC that he intends the last book to be out in March or April (I've forgotten which) 2018 - the anniversary of On Basilisk Station.

Return to Honorverse