Topic Actions

Topic Search

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 154 guests

Cathartic effects of the Honorverse forum crusher

Join us in talking discussing all things Honor, including (but not limited to) tactics, favorite characters, and book discussions.
Cathartic effects of the Honorverse forum crusher
Post by StealthSeeker   » Sat Jul 02, 2016 1:20 pm

StealthSeeker
Commander

I'm not a HUGE book reader but Weber is one of my favorite authors, he tells a story in a way that makes it enjoyable to me. There are some authors who write in a stile that irritates me, an example of that is the author of the Hunger Games books. I'll never read another one of her books, ever! I like Tom Clancy but sometimes he can get a little long winded in his background building. One example of that was in his "Jack Ryan" series where an atomic bomb went off. Clancy took so long describing each step of the explosive process that by halfway through the explanation I was screaming in my head "Let the damn thing to BOOM already!!."

So, I try to read as many of Weber's books as I can get my hands on. Then, as the Honorverse series is my favoriate, any book of Weber's that I read brings my mind back to the Honorverse series. Which in turn brings me back to the end of "A Rising Thunder." That book ended in such a way that my mind goes wild with imagined possibilities of what could happen going forward from that point. My ideas become so vivid and "perfect" in my mind that any other "silly" alternative seems impossible and foolish. My mind builds with an intense desire to see the story line move froward from that point, much worse that a 4-year-old waiting for Santa Clause to come. Any book that doesn't move the time line forward, while enjoyable, can seem like just so much of Clancy's extra "stuffing" that my mind starts screaming "Tell me what the hell happens next already!!"

It's at this point that I jump on to the Weber forum and start spouting forth ideas, the equivalent of screaming into the night with the frustration of waiting for that next book. In response I get a lot of equally good ideas (ok, some silly ones as well) about alternate ways in which the story could progress that just seems to absolutely CRUSH any arrogant idea I might have for moving the story forward. This "crushing" has the cathartic effect of silencing that "voice" screaming "Where the hell is the next damn book!!!" Sort of like helping a dieting, and very hungry person, keep their mind off of FOOD!!

So I thank you ALL for your help and your kind (mostly) and patient (mostly) interactions on this forum. With your help I may be able to hold on and survive until November. ;^} :P
-
-
I think therefore I am.... I think
Re: Cathartic effects of the Honorverse forum crusher
Post by darrell   » Sat Jul 02, 2016 11:18 pm

darrell
Rear Admiral

StealthSeeker wrote:I'm not a HUGE book reader but Weber is one of my favorite authors, he tells a story in a way that makes it enjoyable to me. There are some authors who write in a stile that irritates me, an example of that is the author of the Hunger Games books. I'll never read another one of her books, ever! I like Tom Clancy but sometimes he can get a little long winded in his background building. One example of that was in his "Jack Ryan" series where an atomic bomb went off. Clancy took so long describing each step of the explosive process that by halfway through the explanation I was screaming in my head "Let the damn thing to BOOM already!!."

So, I try to read as many of Weber's books as I can get my hands on. Then, as the Honorverse series is my favoriate, any book of Weber's that I read brings my mind back to the Honorverse series. Which in turn brings me back to the end of "A Rising Thunder." That book ended in such a way that my mind goes wild with imagined possibilities of what could happen going forward from that point. My ideas become so vivid and "perfect" in my mind that any other "silly" alternative seems impossible and foolish. My mind builds with an intense desire to see the story line move froward from that point, much worse that a 4-year-old waiting for Santa Clause to come. Any book that doesn't move the time line forward, while enjoyable, can seem like just so much of Clancy's extra "stuffing" that my mind starts screaming "Tell me what the hell happens next already!!"

It's at this point that I jump on to the Weber forum and start spouting forth ideas, the equivalent of screaming into the night with the frustration of waiting for that next book. In response I get a lot of equally good ideas (ok, some silly ones as well) about alternate ways in which the story could progress that just seems to absolutely CRUSH any arrogant idea I might have for moving the story forward. This "crushing" has the cathartic effect of silencing that "voice" screaming "Where the hell is the next damn book!!!" Sort of like helping a dieting, and very hungry person, keep their mind off of FOOD!!

So I thank you ALL for your help and your kind (mostly) and patient (mostly) interactions on this forum. With your help I may be able to hold on and survive until November. ;^} :P

I agree. Here is what will happen to me when the series ends :P

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3Fn36l_z3WY
<><><><><><><><><><><><>
Logic: an organized way to go wrong, with confidence.

Return to Honorverse