Topic Actions

Topic Search

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 153 guests

Countering Missiles

Join us in talking discussing all things Honor, including (but not limited to) tactics, favorite characters, and book discussions.
Countering Missiles
Post by Lord Skimper   » Sat Jul 02, 2016 8:56 am

Lord Skimper
Vice Admiral

One wonders if a weapons system might be developed that would allow one to shoot missiles with large clusters of weak laser heads, Point Defense strength. Say 24-36 small point defense laser heads, fired at salvos of missiles in box fire. Pods using a defense Apollo setting up a box fire of 24+ small laser heads each missile, could fire and create a wall of energy. Each ship can fire such as a Nike or Sag. C, 20/40, 25/50, 40/80, 50/100, 60/120, 75/150, 80/160, 100/200. fully controlled missiles. Depends how stacked you set up the missiles. Mk16 variants, Nothing says that a Sag C or Nike can't use Apollo. Apollo doesn't need Keyhole II, it uses Keyhole II to impose the ships' wedge between itself and the target. At 24x200=4800/Ship. of energy laser heads at a box placement intercepting missiles halfway out and each level closer. One doesn't need Keyhole when fighting missiles way out of range.

With pods 200 such apollo controlled missiles with pod layers can fire multi small laser clusters at such missile salvos plus EW etc...

EW itself isn't a directed weapon yet could be fired at salvos to confuse the warheads into early detonation. Ghost ships appearing out of the shadows. Be they hard to see LAC's or hidden SD's. I always wondered why that hasn't happened.
Post by Annachie   » Sat Jul 02, 2016 9:08 am

Annachie
Fleet Admiral

For added accuracy and control it might need a control unit fired along with it.
Due to size constraints though it would need treecat crew to operate it though.

Sent from my SM-G920I using Tapatalk
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
You are so going to die. :p ~~~~ runsforcelery
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
still not dead. :)
Re: Countering Missiles
Post by Duckk   » Sat Jul 02, 2016 9:23 am

Duckk
Site Admin

Target: something like a 2 meter circumference.

Beam: less than a centimeter.

Space: REALLY FUCKING BIG.

You are not going to be hitting a missile with a laser head, period. Missiles can barely hit the broadside of a superdreadnought. You will be hitting nothing but void.
-------------------------
Shields at 50%, taunting at 100%! - Tom Pope
Post by Annachie   » Sat Jul 02, 2016 9:25 am

Annachie
Fleet Admiral

But ... treecats

Sent from my SM-G920I using Tapatalk
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
You are so going to die. :p ~~~~ runsforcelery
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
still not dead. :)
Post by Jonathan_S   » Sat Jul 02, 2016 9:30 am

Jonathan_S
Fleet Admiral

Lord Skimper wrote:One wonders if a weapons system might be developed that would allow one to shoot missiles with large clusters of weak laser heads, Point Defense strength. Say 24-36 small point defense laser heads, fired at salvos of missiles in box fire. Pods using a defense Apollo setting up a box fire of 24+ small laser heads each missile, could fire and create a wall of energy. Each ship can fire such as a Nike or Sag. C, 20/40, 25/50, 40/80, 50/100, 60/120, 75/150, 80/160, 100/200. fully controlled missiles. Depends how stacked you set up the missiles. Mk16 variants, Nothing says that a Sag C or Nike can't use Apollo. Apollo doesn't need Keyhole II, it uses Keyhole II to impose the ships' wedge between itself and the target. At 24x200=4800/Ship. of energy laser heads at a box placement intercepting missiles halfway out and each level closer. One doesn't need Keyhole when fighting missiles way out of range.

With pods 200 such apollo controlled missiles with pod layers can fire multi small laser clusters at such missile salvos plus EW etc...

EW itself isn't a directed weapon yet could be fired at salvos to confuse the warheads into early detonation. Ghost ships appearing out of the shadows. Be they hard to see LAC's or hidden SD's. I always wondered why that hasn't happened.
Only one wonders?
Anyway, without TARDIS tech (a problem a number of your schemes over the years have had) there's no way to fit 24+ lasing rods into a reasonable sized missile. I guess with shorter rod (equaling weaker and less focused lasers) you might be able to squeeze in 10 to a capital ship sized missile. But doing so would be a total waste of resources. Space is vast, and ten, or even a thousand laser shots cover less area, and hence have a lower probability of kill than a single CM. the CM sweeps something like 33,700,000 cubic km and the first missile met in that volume is destroyed. A thousand laser heads generously sweeps something like a mere 1000 cubic km - so 33700 time less.

(a laser covers less range than the cm; gave it a million km effective vs 3 million for the cm; and a beam diameter of a meter; and it has to hit the missile directly instead of a wedge to wedge hit a couple meter wide target with a meter wide beam vs a 10 km wide target with a 10+ km wide wedge)

Also RFC has said (at least so far) it's not possible to hull mount Apollo FTL fire control links; they have to be on a remote platform. (We wanted BCs or CAs to have a few hull mounted links to give a squadron towing Apollo pods a limited FTL 'sniper' capability. He said no.
I speculate that given the limited size of the Apollo receiver the ships wedge's FTL signal might blind it, like trying to look into a spotlight; putting the emitter out on a Keyhole II flying well clear of the ship lets the receiver avoid looking directly into a wedge while communicating.
Post by Lord Skimper   » Sat Jul 02, 2016 3:09 pm

Lord Skimper
Vice Admiral

How about mounting an autocannon bore firing on a missile, apollo sized.
Post by Michael Everett   » Sat Jul 02, 2016 4:55 pm

Michael Everett
Admiral

Lord Skimper wrote:How about mounting an autocannon bore firing on a missile, apollo sized.

...You really are channeling Squealer and L33T, aren't you?
~~~~~~

I can't write anywhere near as well as Weber
But I try nonetheless, And even do my own artwork.

(Now on Twitter)and mentioned by RFC!
ACNH Dreams at DA-6594-0940-7995
Post by Somtaaw   » Sat Jul 02, 2016 6:22 pm

Somtaaw
Rear Admiral

Lord Skimper wrote:How about mounting an autocannon bore firing on a missile, apollo sized.

You forgot that it's actually an autocannon that's capable of firing full up laserheads, with 10 lasing rods each at a rate of 1800+ RPM, from the Apollo missile that has super high PRF so you can accurately aim it from the complete other side of a solar system.

Or the same autocannon firing laserheads mounted on a hyper capable platform smaller than a LAC, and you don't even have to drop out of hyper, you just fly right by to wage war... :roll:
Post by Kytheros   » Sat Jul 02, 2016 6:27 pm

Kytheros
Rear Admiral

An autocannon. On a missile.

Just stop. Please.
Post by darrell   » Sat Jul 02, 2016 11:27 pm

darrell
Rear Admiral

Kytheros wrote:...
An autocannon. On a missile.

Just stop. Please.

shakes head.

An autocannon is similar to a tribarrel. both shoot solid projectiles at high velocity, although I don't know the size of autocannon projectiles, or if they are shot in bundles like shotgun shot.
<><><><><><><><><><><><>
Logic: an organized way to go wrong, with confidence.

Return to Honorverse