Topic Actions

Topic Search

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 45 guests

Knife fighting with cm's

Join us in talking discussing all things Honor, including (but not limited to) tactics, favorite characters, and book discussions.
Re: Knife fighting with cm's
Post by Rincewind   » Wed Jun 29, 2016 11:42 am

Rincewind
Captain (Junior Grade)

Jonathan_S wrote:
Rincewind wrote:I could envision some navy coming up with a system whereby they deploy a remote controlled drone on the flanks of their ships, much like the Manties deploy Keyhole. It would not even need to have the wedge powered up until the last minute or so, just so long as it is at full power once the laserheads detonate. The drone could then roll its wedge so that its roof would be to the attacking laserheads fire.

This would not be a perfect shield. However as they say up North where I came from; "Owt's betta'n nowt." It would also be difficult to control & co-ordinate but it could be done but as Mike Henke realised in Storm from the Shadows there was nothing wrong with a crude technique if it was also an effective one.

As I pointed out this has the problem that you can't see through the drone's wedge. So as soon as it brings up it's wedge you're blinded to all the incoming missiles. (Unless you have something like Keyhole stuck far enough ahead or behind you to see around the wedge shadowing your broadside).

If the incoming fire is stupid, and there's big gaps between salvos, that's fine. The first salvo will waste all it's fire on the interposed wedge and you can drop it, or rotate the drone and let your broadside sensors pick up the trailing salvos again.

But if the incoming missiles have a little better AI, or the attacker risked diverting some fire for a bow or stern shot, you've got a problem. You can't see the missiles, so you can't see if any alter course to try and pass ahead or astern of you. So your point defense is caught flatfooted as they break past the interposed drone wedge. :o
(They can either got for blindfire at your estimated location the instant they have a clear angle; before your defenses have a prayer of reacting, or hold off for a moment to try to get deep enough to have a classic down the throat shot with no interposed sidewall)

I guess with keyhole, if you positioned them properly, you could see and track incoming with a drone wedge off your broadside. But even then I'm not sure that's better than just rolling your own wedge towards the missile. The drone provides better coverage, but it also prevents you from using half your CMs. I'd suspect in most situations that having all your CM tubes available trumps having an impenetrable wedge off one broadside.

I think part of the reason for our diverging views on this matter is who do we think would most benefit from this kind of defence? If you are thinking about the RMN or any other navies of the GA then it would not make much sense as they have intrinsically better defences than other navies do. But if you are talking about any other navy, such as the SLN or, far more likely if you pardon my saying so, one of the SDFs that has sent observers to the Haven Wars & have seen the RMN in action then it does make more sense; (My personal view would be that it is one of the SDFs. They were described as being a lot more open to any kind of improvement). It would be far more difficult for any of those navies to even come close to duplicating the RMNs defences as a large component of it is the LACs which they would have to design & manufacture together with both the missiles & the CLACs. Also the observers would have seen how good RMN penetration aids had been at reducing conventional defences to impotence.

Regarding your point about the drone's wedge blinding the defender's fire control, especially to a bow or stern shot I would agree that that is a valid point. It would all boil down to how soon the attacking missile salvo's control links were cut & how close to the target they were. I envisioned this defence being brought up at the last possible moment to give the attacking salvo the shortest possible time to react. Obviously any deliberate fire aimed at the projected bow or stern would be harder to deal with. However, if you have deployed one drone on your flanks then why not deploy several more just to give you additional targeting for your CMs & Laser Clusters. It would probably be less effective but, as I said in my first post, 'Owt's better'n nowt!' Also, a large part of the effectiveness of the RMN's missile salvoes is that they have already reduced the target's defences to impotence anyway. So, in that situation they do not really have much to lose.

One other point is that I would have envisioned this as being part of a layered defence... & not necessarily a conventional one either. Individually each component would be less effective but collectively they could make an effective defence. Certainly the RMN, even with its superior technology has been surprised a time or two.
Post by Jonathan_S   » Thu Jun 30, 2016 9:59 am

Jonathan_S
Fleet Admiral

Jonathan_S wrote:
MaxxQ wrote:Missiles generally have a 10km x 10km wedge. CMs have wedges at least 50% larger (and more powerful than that of an attack missile) on a side.

Pinnace wedges are between 25 and 35km on a side. The heavy cruiser Fearless wedge is 150km on a side, and SD wedges are 300km on a side.

Wedges are as square as a projected field of energy/gravity can be in a fictional universe. No rectangles! :mrgreen:

Hmm, I need to double check the only (and now only semi-canonical) Janyes book, but I seem to recall it gives all the dimensions of a Reliant-class BC's wedge; and it's not square. However the books and RCFs posts seem to just refer to width of the wedges.
Well I was wrong. Remembered to check Jayne's this morning and it did have the diagram I remembered but it did not provide the wedge lenght.

It says a Reliant-class BC has a wedge width of 162 km (compare to the SD wedge width of 300 km from the infodump); but says nothing about the wedge's other dimensions. (Though it does have sidewall placements; towed decoy placements, and a companion diagram of deployed sails)
Post by MaxxQ   » Thu Jun 30, 2016 8:30 pm

MaxxQ
BuNine

Jonathan_S wrote:
Jonathan_S wrote:Hmm, I need to double check the only (and now only semi-canonical) Janyes book, but I seem to recall it gives all the dimensions of a Reliant-class BC's wedge; and it's not square. However the books and RCFs posts seem to just refer to width of the wedges.
Well I was wrong. Remembered to check Jayne's this morning and it did have the diagram I remembered but it did not provide the wedge lenght.

It says a Reliant-class BC has a wedge width of 162 km (compare to the SD wedge width of 300 km from the infodump); but says nothing about the wedge's other dimensions. (Though it does have sidewall placements; towed decoy placements, and a companion diagram of deployed sails)

I've done a render of a Star Knight class CA (Fearless) complete with a scale (but fugly) wedge that was used for a presentation at Honorcon 2013. It was specified to me that it be a square 127km per side (I was wrong myself earlier). I still have the mesh and just checked it. Tom Pope has all the wedge dimensions, and was the one who specified that size for that ship. The Reliant that you mentioned sounds about right, but I can't confirm that at the moment, as I don't have the info for that.

Edit: Just an FYI, the aft aspect of the Fearless wedge is 32km tall by 20km wide (sidewall to sidewall). The throat is 127km tall.
Post by Jonathan_S   » Thu Jun 30, 2016 10:58 pm

Jonathan_S
Fleet Admiral

MaxxQ wrote:
Jonathan_S wrote:Well I was wrong. Remembered to check Jayne's this morning and it did have the diagram I remembered but it did not provide the wedge lenght.

I've done a render of a Star Knight class CA (Fearless) complete with a scale (but fugly) wedge that was used for a presentation at Honorcon 2013. It was specified to me that it be a square 127km per side (I was wrong myself earlier). I still have the mesh and just checked it. Tom Pope has all the wedge dimensions, and was the one who specified that size for that ship. The Reliant that you mentioned sounds about right, but I can't confirm that at the moment, as I don't have the info for that.

Edit: Just an FYI, the aft aspect of the Fearless wedge is 32km tall by 20km wide (sidewall to sidewall). The throat is 127km tall.
interesting. Those numbers show that the wedge throat and aft aspect heights don't scale linearly with the wedge width. The Star Knight's throat is ~158% as tall as a naive scaling might suggest, and its aft opening is ~189% as tall.

With more data points if be tempted to go all data nerd of them and try to figure out if there was a line or curve visible if you plotted the relationship (and then look for any ships that break the pattern). Probably a good thing for my free time that I've only the two data points to look at. I don't really need another hoborverse spreadsheet :D
Post by MaxxQ   » Fri Jul 01, 2016 12:06 am

MaxxQ
BuNine

Jonathan_S wrote:
MaxxQ wrote:I've done a render of a Star Knight class CA (Fearless) complete with a scale (but fugly) wedge that was used for a presentation at Honorcon 2013. It was specified to me that it be a square 127km per side (I was wrong myself earlier). I still have the mesh and just checked it. Tom Pope has all the wedge dimensions, and was the one who specified that size for that ship. The Reliant that you mentioned sounds about right, but I can't confirm that at the moment, as I don't have the info for that.

interesting. Those numbers show that the wedge throat and aft aspect heights don't scale linearly with the wedge width. The Star Knight's throat is ~158% as tall as a naive scaling might suggest, and its aft opening is ~189% as tall.

With more data points if be tempted to go all data nerd of them and try to figure out if there was a line or curve visible if you plotted the relationship (and then look for any ships that break the pattern). Probably a good thing for my free time that I've only the two data points to look at. I don't really need another hoborverse spreadsheet :D

Well, the interesting point to me is the fact that the wedge throat is as tall as the wedge is square - 127km. Not sure if it's the same for an SDs wedge (300km tall throat vs. a 300km wide wedge), but if it is...

Starting a weekend-long meeting with the rest of the BuNine folks tomorrow (haven't seen most of them since Honorcon 2013 - it'll be nice to meet up again). If I remember, I can ask Tom about that, and maybe even get some info on other ship class wedge dimensions. Not promising anything other than asking, though.
Post by Somtaaw   » Fri Jul 01, 2016 8:27 am

Somtaaw
Rear Admiral

Might be a good idea Maxx, seems many of us non-Bu9's seem to think wedges were more rectangular than squares.

And Jon catching your oops regarding pinnace wedge sizes, might be good to get some of these nailed down tight.

.... and don't forget to keep your hands off Shannon until after the technical discussions are done :lol: *runs*
Post by Jonathan_S   » Fri Jul 01, 2016 8:58 am

Jonathan_S
Fleet Admiral

MaxxQ wrote:
Jonathan_S wrote:[nteresting. Those numbers show that the wedge throat and aft aspect heights don't scale linearly with the wedge width. The Star Knight's throat is ~158% as tall as a naive scaling might suggest, and its aft opening is ~189% as tall.

Well, the interesting point to me is the fact that the wedge throat is as tall as the wedge is square - 127km. Not sure if it's the same for an SDs wedge (300km tall throat vs. a 300km wide wedge), but if it is...

Starting a weekend-long meeting with the rest of the BuNine folks tomorrow (haven't seen most of them since Honorcon 2013 - it'll be nice to meet up again). If I remember, I can ask Tom about that, and maybe even get some info on other ship class wedge dimensions. Not promising anything other than asking, though.
The info dump over in the pearls has the SDs throat at only 190 km tall (on a 300 km wide wedge). Hence my noting that the wedge opening isn't shrinking as fast as the wedge width.

If the infodump is still accurate then it would appear that it's only a coincidence that the Star Knight's throat opening matches its width.

Somtaaw wrote:Might be a good idea Maxx, seems many of us non-Bu9's seem to think wedges were more rectangular than squares.

And Jon catching your oops regarding pinnace wedge sizes, might be good to get some of these nailed down tight.*
BYW it was Vince, not me, who posted about pinnace wedges.
I also tended to think of wedges as rectangular; probably because ships aren't square. But, thinking about it, on the scale of a wedge even the biggest ships aren't much longer than they are wide.
Sure an SD is 6 or 7 times longer than it is wide. But on a 300k km wedge the whole km+ length of the ship is less than 0.45% of the wedge length. That's and almost unnoticeable difference. So could the ship length really noticable stretch out the wedge length?

Also the diagrams from the Jaynes books, now that I've gone back and looked at them look pretty square; so square (or at least square-ish) wedges don't seem to be a new idea; even if the books haven't had reason to discuss their length yet.
Post by Kytheros   » Fri Jul 01, 2016 9:32 pm

Kytheros
Rear Admiral

Somtaaw wrote:Might be a good idea Maxx, seems many of us non-Bu9's seem to think wedges were more rectangular than squares.

And Jon catching your oops regarding pinnace wedge sizes, might be good to get some of these nailed down tight.

.... and don't forget to keep your hands off Shannon until after the technical discussions are done :lol: *runs*

Actually ... I thought wedges were trapezoidal, but cannot for the life of me remember why that is.
Post by Weird Harold   » Fri Jul 01, 2016 10:13 pm

Weird Harold
Fleet Admiral

Kytheros wrote:Actually ... I thought wedges were trapezoidal, but cannot for the life of me remember why that is.

It seems to me that wedges should be oval but I'm not writing the series. The way RFC has described them, I've always pictured them as square or very squat rectangles.
Answers! I got lots of answers!

(Now if I could just find the right questions.)
Post by MaxxQ   » Sat Jul 02, 2016 12:38 am

MaxxQ
BuNine

Talked to Tom. We may have something to give you guys that are interested in wedge dimensions, although it may be a week or month or year (probably not that long - just covering my butt in case a change to the change to the change comes up) before we can get it up here.

I *can* say this though: normal wedge angle is 22.5* from the ship centerline, or 45* between wedge planes. This holds true for all ships with a wedge. Yes, there is *some* narrowing of the angle at higher accel rates, but generally the 22.5/45* angle is for normal ops.

Return to Honorverse