Topic Actions

Topic Search

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Google [Bot] and 169 guests

puzzled by Cauldron of Ghosts timelines

Join us in talking discussing all things Honor, including (but not limited to) tactics, favorite characters, and book discussions.
Re: puzzled by Cauldron of Ghosts timelines
Post by JohnRoth   » Tue May 31, 2016 2:08 pm

JohnRoth
Admiral

munroburton wrote:
JohnRoth wrote:While Mannerheim has the largest fleet in the RF, it doesn't have "at least a dozen ships of the wall," to quote the text. Otherwise there wouldn't have been a lot of worry in that RF meeting about military power, and Detweiller's comment that, putting all the SDFs together would make a pretty decent navy. As things go, a dozen ships-of-the-wall makes a pretty decent navy all by itself.

We can't rule them out either. Mannerheim has a "Task Force 4" whose flagship is a DN augmenting a "Battlecruiser Squadron 6".

IMO, the worry was more about how openly they can afford to use the RF's forces, knowing that the RMN or RHN could swiftly defeat them if a connection to the MAlign were discovered.

Let me repeat: the MAlign regards Mesa as a sacrificial pawn, to be discarded when the plan regards it as convenient. They've abandoned Mesa and have sacrificed it, a little ahead of schedule, maybe, but they've still discarded it. Thrown it into the Galactic Dumpster. They don't want Mesa rescued.

There is no way that Detweiller and Co. would want any of their precious RF systems to try to help Mesa. If Mannerheim decided to do that, they'd have to be doing it on their own, without orders from headquarters, and there is no reason why they should, and every reason why they should keep their hands off.
Post by Jonathan_S   » Tue May 31, 2016 2:24 pm

Jonathan_S
Fleet Admiral

JohnRoth wrote:
Theemile wrote:The only variable would be an interested 3rd party with wallers - perhaps an RF member like Mannerheim - who would be interested in quelling the violence on their terms - in which case 10th fleet is only days away.

While Mannerheim has the largest fleet in the RF, it doesn't have "at least a dozen ships of the wall," to quote the text. Otherwise there wouldn't have been a lot of worry in that RF meeting about military power, and Detweiller's comment that, putting all the SDFs together would make a pretty decent navy. As things go, a dozen ships-of-the-wall makes a pretty decent navy all by itself.

Also, I'm pretty sure that the Mannerheim high command knows that Mesa is a sacrifice and that the MAlign is somewhere else. This is especially the case since Mannerheim, like all the RF systems, is officially on record as being absolutely, positively, totally and thoroughly against genetic slavery. There is no way they'd send a fleet to relieve Mesa, even if they had one to send.
Theemile didn't say that a Mannerheim fleet would be there to relieve Mesa - just to end the violence "on their terms".
That could mean to burnish their anti-slavery bonafides by (finally) occupying Mesa to end the crushing of the Seccies. That would also put them in a position to covertly prevent the discovery or following up of any dangling threads the over-hasty Houdini bug-out might have left behind.

I don't personally thing that's the case, but it doesn't seem impossible that one or more RF members might intervene ostensibly on behalf of the Seccies and Slaves and against the Mesan transstellars.
Post by Louis R   » Tue May 31, 2016 3:25 pm

Louis R
Rear Admiral

Which is exactly why I said you can't rule Mannerheim out. However, the timing would argue against it. Unless Mannerheim is within a few days travel of Visigoth, there shouldn't have been time for them to hear about it, become sufficiently outraged, and mount an armed expedition outside the boundaries of the League. Nevermind _get_ it there through hyper, as they don't appear to have used the junction - and would [ostensibly] have had to negotiate passage with Visigoth, adding to the delay if they had used it.

Plus, I think that the entire RF is probably still in heads-down mode and would therefore not want to draw any attention to their capacity for long-range power projection.

Jonathan_S wrote:
JohnRoth wrote:
While Mannerheim has the largest fleet in the RF, it doesn't have "at least a dozen ships of the wall," to quote the text. Otherwise there wouldn't have been a lot of worry in that RF meeting about military power, and Detweiller's comment that, putting all the SDFs together would make a pretty decent navy. As things go, a dozen ships-of-the-wall makes a pretty decent navy all by itself.

Also, I'm pretty sure that the Mannerheim high command knows that Mesa is a sacrifice and that the MAlign is somewhere else. This is especially the case since Mannerheim, like all the RF systems, is officially on record as being absolutely, positively, totally and thoroughly against genetic slavery. There is no way they'd send a fleet to relieve Mesa, even if they had one to send.
Theemile didn't say that a Mannerheim fleet would be there to relieve Mesa - just to end the violence "on their terms".
That could mean to burnish their anti-slavery bonafides by (finally) occupying Mesa to end the crushing of the Seccies. That would also put them in a position to covertly prevent the discovery or following up of any dangling threads the over-hasty Houdini bug-out might have left behind.

I don't personally thing that's the case, but it doesn't seem impossible that one or more RF members might intervene ostensibly on behalf of the Seccies and Slaves and against the Mesan transstellars.
Post by Theemile   » Tue May 31, 2016 3:26 pm

Theemile
Fleet Admiral

Jonathan_S wrote:
JohnRoth wrote:

It would also get people think about them as a political and military power in times of trouble - being the only such power to step up and do the right thing, and having the muscle to do it.

When everything starts to fall apart, that would be good propaganda when they say, "It's ok, sign this and you'll be under our umbrella".

However, I don't see this a likely, only a possibility. my money is on 10th fleet.
RFC said "refitting a Beowulfan SD to Manticoran standards would be just as difficult as refitting a standard SLN SD to those standards. In other words, it would be cheaper and faster to build new ships."
Post by Theemile   » Tue May 31, 2016 3:42 pm

Theemile
Fleet Admiral

Louis R wrote:Which is exactly why I said you can't rule Mannerheim out. However, the timing would argue against it. Unless Mannerheim is within a few days travel of Visigoth, there shouldn't have been time for them to hear about it, become sufficiently outraged, and mount an armed expedition outside the boundaries of the League. Nevermind _get_ it there through hyper, as they don't appear to have used the junction - and would [ostensibly] have had to negotiate passage with Visigoth, adding to the delay if they had used it.

Plus, I think that the entire RF is probably still in heads-down mode and would therefore not want to draw any attention to their capacity for long-range power projection.

They do have the forces at Felix available from the job, which should be semi close to Mesa. The question is how they would explain their proximity and response.
RFC said "refitting a Beowulfan SD to Manticoran standards would be just as difficult as refitting a standard SLN SD to those standards. In other words, it would be cheaper and faster to build new ships."
Post by kzt   » Tue May 31, 2016 4:03 pm

kzt
Fleet Admiral

Theemile wrote:They do have the forces at Felix available from the job, which should be semi close to Mesa. The question is how they would explain their proximity and response.

"We saw the news reports and decided that we would not tolerate this sort of savagery. Particularly from Mesa."
Post by JohnRoth   » Tue May 31, 2016 8:02 pm

JohnRoth
Admiral

kzt wrote:
Theemile wrote:They do have the forces at Felix available from the job, which should be semi close to Mesa. The question is how they would explain their proximity and response.

"We saw the news reports and decided that we would not tolerate this sort of savagery. Particularly from Mesa."

Proximity is the issue. If they use the super-secret Felix junction to get there faster, people are going to ask questions. Real hard questions. We don't know where Mannerheim is, and if they have to use the known wormhole network, as Solarian League members they might well be denied passage by the Manties.
Post by Theemile   » Wed Jun 01, 2016 7:12 am

Theemile
Fleet Admiral

JohnRoth wrote:
Proximity is the issue. If they use the super-secret Felix junction to get there faster, people are going to ask questions. Real hard questions. We don't know where Mannerheim is, and if they have to use the known wormhole network, as Solarian League members they might well be denied passage by the Manties.

They wouldn't have to use the junction, they have a fleet AT Felix - which is somewhere clos-ish to Mesa in physical space. The question then goes back to why the fleet was at Felix - which is obviously something the MAlign and Mannerheim do not want examined (as you mentioned above).
Post by JohnRoth   » Wed Jun 01, 2016 8:51 am

JohnRoth
Admiral

Theemile wrote:
JohnRoth wrote:

They wouldn't have to use the junction, they have a fleet AT Felix - which is somewhere clos-ish to Mesa in physical space. The question then goes back to why the fleet was at Felix - which is obviously something the MAlign and Mannerheim do not want examined (as you mentioned above).

Textev, please.

We know that Felix is 10 ly from Mannerheim. As far as I know, we have absolutely no idea where either Mannerheim or Felix is at.
Post by C. O. Thompson   » Wed Jun 01, 2016 9:03 am

C. O. Thompson
Captain of the List

prasad wrote:HI

I just read Cauldron of ghosts, and I'm a bit puzzled. In Shadow of Freedom Michelle Henke starts for Mesa after Anton and Victor get home. Its mentioned in the last chapter that she "wondering about stuff since Anton and Victor got home". This is upheld by the fact that Dame Honor shows them her correspondence to Queen Bethv as well.

However, Anton and Victor are able to get full body surgery to disguise them, Berry arrives after the COURIER gets to Torch and back, then Granny El's frigate gets modified, then everyone does to Mesa and plays merry hell on ground for a couple of MONTHS. AFTER Michelle has already left for Mesa!

And after ALL that right at the end, there is a mention of a fleet coming in. It doesn't say if its Michelle Henke, Dame Honor or the Andermani or anyone else.

So am wondering of someone could clarify one of the following

1. Am I missing something?
2. Did Michelle Henke get lost in space?
3. Did Michelle and her crew decide they needed a holiday?
4. did her crew decide to PUSH the ships all the way to Mesa in skin suits....

I share your pain and confusion... these tributary streams of the main story flow are a bit difficult to follow... I believe that darrill has it right in the post that followed your original questions and... while I have been re-reading the entire series as a run up to Shadow of Victory and have just finished Shadows of Freedom with (I believe) only Cauldron of Ghost to re-read your questions made me wonder if perhaps the ships that hyper in at the end of CoG might be Andermani... They had more time to react to the reports that Antoine and Victor brought back and the Detwiller's admitted that they may have made it too personal by "going for the succession"
Does anyone have an idea how long it would take them to shift their fleet from Trevor Star via junction?
They would not even have to stop on their way through for longer than to swap out supply ships.
Just my 2 ₡ worth

Return to Honorverse