Topic Actions

Topic Search

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 133 guests

Persistence of Copyright

Join us in talking discussing all things Honor, including (but not limited to) tactics, favorite characters, and book discussions.
Re: Persistence of Copyright
Post by Annachie   » Mon May 30, 2016 6:47 pm

Annachie
Fleet Admiral

Iirc the change in US law from 50 years to 70 years was made retroactive too.
But when it was done here in Oz (as part off an FTA) it wasn't.

Now however our government is talking of practically removing it.

Sent from my SM-G920I using Tapatalk
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
You are so going to die. :p ~~~~ runsforcelery
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
still not dead. :)
Post by kzt   » Mon May 30, 2016 6:50 pm

kzt
Fleet Admiral

Q: How do you determine that your use of a piece of a work is fair use?

A: You don't. Fair use is a defense you can present if you get sued, and the judge gets to determine if it's fair use. There are some principles and guiding decisions, but it's an affirmative defense, not a right.

IP law is a morass. And IP lawyers are well paid to navigate it for you. The first rule is do not mess with Disney.
Post by saber964   » Mon May 30, 2016 7:03 pm

saber964
Admiral

kzt wrote:Q: How do you determine that your use of a piece of a work is fair use?

A: You don't. Fair use is a defense you can present if you get sued, and the judge gets to determine if it's fair use. There are some principles and guiding decisions, but it's an affirmative defense, not a right.

IP law is a morass. And IP lawyers are well paid to navigate it for you. The first rule is do not mess with Disney.

You really don't want to mess with the House of Mouse.

I have friend who got arrested for shoplifting a T-shirt at Disneyland and the shirt was printed with a Disney World motif. Now how does a person get busted for shoplifting a shirt made and purchased in Florida get shoplifted in California? They wanted her to produce the receipt for a purchase two years before.
Post by Daryl   » Mon May 30, 2016 8:34 pm

Daryl
Fleet Admiral

This discussion is quite US centric. The US doesn't rule the world (yet), and other countries have different views, plus we don't have as litigating a culture.
A very small example is a current dispute about Ugg boots. These are sheepskin boots that are ugly and unfashionable yet comfortable. They have been available in Australia from many small suppliers for about 50 years, and the term is considered to be generic like riding boots. An American firm has now trademarked the term and is trying to sue small Australian manufacturers who are in the third generation of making them. The mood here is basically go elsewhere and fornicate. US law shouldn't have any bearing here.
Unless the US has managed to dominate copyright law up to the current Honorverse, I would imagine that it will be closer to the Chinese approach (if it looks good, copy it cheaper).
Post by pnakasone   » Mon May 30, 2016 8:43 pm

pnakasone
Captain of the List

Daryl wrote:This discussion is quite US centric. The US doesn't rule the world (yet), and other countries have different views, plus we don't have as litigating a culture.
A very small example is a current dispute about Ugg boots. These are sheepskin boots that are ugly and unfashionable yet comfortable. They have been available in Australia from many small suppliers for about 50 years, and the term is considered to be generic like riding boots. An American firm has now trademarked the term and is trying to sue small Australian manufacturers who are in the third generation of making them. The mood here is basically go elsewhere and fornicate. US law shouldn't have any bearing here.
Unless the US has managed to dominate copyright law up to the current Honorverse, I would imagine that it will be closer to the Chinese approach (if it looks good, copy it cheaper).

As with many things it comes down do you have the ability to enforce your claims of ownership against other parties.
Post by Jonathan_S   » Mon May 30, 2016 9:28 pm

Jonathan_S
Fleet Admiral

Daryl wrote:This discussion is quite US centric. The US doesn't rule the world (yet), and other countries have different views, plus we don't have as litigating a culture.

Parts of it are. But the US was actually quite late to the automatic copyright and a term of life + 50+ year. Those appear to have been established in the 1976 Copyright Act. But they'd long been a part of the international Berne Copyright Convention (1886), which the US didn't sign until a century later in 1988.

Though the particular twist of retroactively extending the terms of existing copyrights was (AFAIK) a US specific absurdity.
Post by cthia   » Mon May 30, 2016 9:48 pm

cthia
Fleet Admiral

Jonathan_S wrote:

Parts of it are. But the US was actually quite late to the automatic copyright and a term of life + 50+ year. Those appear to have been established in the 1976 Copyright Act. But they'd long been a part of the international Berne Copyright Convention (1886), which the US didn't sign until a century later in 1988.

Though the particular twist of retroactively extending the terms of existing copyrights was (AFAIK) a US specific absurdity.

What if it isn't absurd but necessary to protect the credit worthiness of truly monolithic works whose "worth" is not completely fleshed out until many decades long after the author has been dead and buried - because of its quite cerebral and unprecedented nature.

Case: Einstein's works.

Son, your mother says I have to hang you. Personally I don't think this is a capital offense. But if I don't hang you, she's gonna hang me and frankly, I'm not the one in trouble. —cthia's father. Incident in ? Axiom of Common Sense
Post by pnakasone   » Mon May 30, 2016 10:47 pm

pnakasone
Captain of the List

One thing is the long shelf life of profitability a media property can have. If your family is still getting good sizes royalty checks for something you great granddad wrote you would want to keep it that way.
Post by Louis R   » Mon May 30, 2016 11:29 pm

Louis R
Rear Admiral

Meaningless comparison:

a) ideas are not subject to copyright to start with

b) likely the only copyright Einstein held was in his letters - academic papers are copyright by the journal that publishes them, not the author[s]

cthia wrote:What if it isn't absurd but necessary to protect the credit worthiness of truly monolithic works whose "worth" is not completely fleshed out until many decades long after the author has been dead and buried - because of its quite cerebral and unprecedented nature.

Post by cthia   » Tue May 31, 2016 12:24 am

cthia
Fleet Admiral

Louis R wrote:Meaningless comparison:

a) ideas are not subject to copyright to start with

b) likely the only copyright Einstein held was in his letters - academic papers are copyright by the journal that publishes them, not the author[s]

cthia wrote:What if it isn't absurd but necessary to protect the credit worthiness of truly monolithic works whose "worth" is not completely fleshed out until many decades long after the author has been dead and buried - because of its quite cerebral and unprecedented nature.

Not quite. Einstein also held over 50 patents. Why would you think that he didn't hold any copyrights - when he worked at the patent office itself?
https://www.quora.com/How-many-patents- ... stein-have

Besides, just the title of his works could have been copyrighted. Since to qualify for copyright protection, a work needs only to possess “a significant amount of original expression”— and although book titles does not generally qualify. Einstein's subject matter may have.

Besides, I cited Einstein as an example of monolithic works, not as a patent and copyright holder - though he is.

Dammit Shannon!... forgot to post this link...
http://press.princeton.edu/einstein/copyright.html

Probably should be posted as well...
http://www.albert-einstein.org/archives13.html

Son, your mother says I have to hang you. Personally I don't think this is a capital offense. But if I don't hang you, she's gonna hang me and frankly, I'm not the one in trouble. —cthia's father. Incident in ? Axiom of Common Sense

Return to Honorverse