Topic Actions

Topic Search

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Google [Bot] and 37 guests

Last use for SL SD captured

Join us in talking discussing all things Honor, including (but not limited to) tactics, favorite characters, and book discussions.
Re: Last use for SL SD captured
Post by cthia   » Mon May 22, 2017 11:50 pm

cthia
Fleet Admiral

Some things you really shouldn't read while eating. Email from my niece...

Give them all to the Stilthies, they can get high in them. It worked for the Sollies.

Son, your mother says I have to hang you. Personally I don't think this is a capital offense. But if I don't hang you, she's gonna hang me and frankly, I'm not the one in trouble. —cthia's father. Incident in ? Axiom of Common Sense
Post by cthia   » Tue May 23, 2017 7:00 am

cthia
Fleet Admiral

cthia wrote:Some things you really shouldn't read while eating. Email from my niece...

Give them all to the Stilthies, they can get high in them. It worked for the Sollies.

Bantering back and forth with my niece. A funny quick witted little princess...

"That really is hilarious honey, the Stilthies were getting soooo high."

"Not only that Uncle. They were getting so high they were hallucinating. Same as the Sollies."

" :lol: "

My niece...

How do you increase Solly SD compensator efficiency?

Retard retardation.

How many Solly SDs does it take to return home from a mission?

Several hundred to be destroyed. Several hundred to be captured and one smart enough to have feigned sadness from engine problems before completing the trip.

"Aww, I'm sorry, but it seems we can't continue on with this mission."

She's on a roll. I try to jump in...

The problem with their Scientist class are that their scientists never actually attended any class.

So maybe that's a sure way to increase compensator efficiency. Fire the scientists.

She fires back...

I doubt that they really wanted to increase efficiency. Why be in a hurry to meet your doom?

I am ROTF. I'm going to submit these to the Humor thread for sure.

Son, your mother says I have to hang you. Personally I don't think this is a capital offense. But if I don't hang you, she's gonna hang me and frankly, I'm not the one in trouble. —cthia's father. Incident in ? Axiom of Common Sense
Post by robert132   » Tue May 23, 2017 3:35 pm

robert132
Captain of the List

cthia wrote:
cthia wrote:Some things you really shouldn't read while eating. Email from my niece...

Bantering back and forth with my niece. A funny quick witted little princess...

"That really is hilarious honey, the Stilthies were getting soooo high."

"Not only that Uncle. They were getting so high they were hallucinating. Same as the Sollies."

" :lol: "

My niece...

How do you increase Solly SD compensator efficiency?

Retard retardation.

How many Solly SDs does it take to return home from a mission?

Several hundred to be destroyed. Several hundred to be captured and one smart enough to have feigned sadness from engine problems before completing the trip.

"Aww, I'm sorry, but it seems we can't continue on with this mission."

She's on a roll. I try to jump in...

The problem with their Scientist class are that their scientists never actually attended any class.

So maybe that's a sure way to increase compensator efficiency. Fire the scientists.

She fires back...

I doubt that they really wanted to increase efficiency. Why be in a hurry to meet your doom?

I am ROTF. I'm going to submit these to the Humor thread for sure.

She's a gem bro.

Just my opinion of course and probably not worth the paper it's not written on.
Post by Rincewind   » Fri Jun 16, 2017 6:06 pm

Rincewind
Captain (Junior Grade)

Actually I have a use for the 'dreaded' captured Solarian Superdreadnoughts & it's to do with how the first bollards were created in England...*

Any airless planet, moon or asteroid that needs a docking tower just drive the things deep into the ground & then fix ceramecrete around the hole they just made to keep them upright & in position.

* In England the first bollards were made by taking redundant naval cannon, setting them upright in the pavement & then hammering an outsized cannonball into the muzzle. Although they don't make them that way anymore most of them still retain the same shape.
Post by Jonathan_S   » Fri Jun 16, 2017 9:36 pm

Jonathan_S
Fleet Admiral

Rincewind wrote:Actually I have a use for the 'dreaded' captured Solarian Superdreadnoughts & it's to do with how the first bollards were created in England...*

Any airless planet, moon or asteroid that needs a docking tower just drive the things deep into the ground & then fix ceramecrete around the hole they just made to keep them upright & in position.

* In England the first bollards were made by taking redundant naval cannon, setting them upright in the pavement & then hammering an outsized cannonball into the muzzle. Although they don't make them that way anymore most of them still retain the same shape.

I seem to remember also seeing pictures of cannons buried muzzle down as bollards / hitching posts -- the cast trunions being exposed make it easier to tie off to
Post by Theemile   » Fri Jun 16, 2017 10:28 pm

Theemile
Fleet Admiral

Jonathan_S wrote:
Rincewind wrote:Actually I have a use for the 'dreaded' captured Solarian Superdreadnoughts & it's to do with how the first bollards were created in England...*

I seem to remember also seeing pictures of cannons buried muzzle down as bollards / hitching posts -- the cast trunions being exposed make it easier to tie off to

Exactly how big are space ponies?
RFC said "refitting a Beowulfan SD to Manticoran standards would be just as difficult as refitting a standard SLN SD to those standards. In other words, it would be cheaper and faster to build new ships."
Post by Rincewind   » Tue Jul 04, 2017 7:24 pm

Rincewind
Captain (Junior Grade)

Theemile wrote:
Jonathan_S wrote:I seem to remember also seeing pictures of cannons buried muzzle down as bollards / hitching posts -- the cast trunions being exposed make it easier to tie off to

I didn't think you were a Neighsayer.
Post by Theemile   » Tue Jul 04, 2017 7:42 pm

Theemile
Fleet Admiral

Rincewind wrote:
Theemile wrote:

I didn't think you were a Neighsayer.

;)
RFC said "refitting a Beowulfan SD to Manticoran standards would be just as difficult as refitting a standard SLN SD to those standards. In other words, it would be cheaper and faster to build new ships."
Post by Lord Skimper   » Thu Jul 06, 2017 2:49 am

Lord Skimper
Vice Admiral

Still think Beowulf could use the best of the captured ships to flesh out their SD's. 67-167 ships should do the trick. Add 2,000 Shrike A's and as many pods as 100-200 SD's can tow and Beowulf is secured until reinforcements can arrive. Easy to get to Beowulf too. Beowulf should have enough trained crews and spare parts to keep everything running in tip top condition.
Post by Theemile   » Thu Jul 06, 2017 10:01 am

Theemile
Fleet Admiral

Lord Skimper wrote:Still think Beowulf could use the best of the captured ships to flesh out their SD's. 67-167 ships should do the trick. Add 2,000 Shrike A's and as many pods as 100-200 SD's can tow and Beowulf is secured until reinforcements can arrive. Easy to get to Beowulf too. Beowulf should have enough trained crews and spare parts to keep everything running in tip top condition.

While it's as good of a plan as any, and any properly staffed peacetime navy should be able to shake the trees and find enough personnel to man 50% again of their current fleet, chances are Beowulf won't follow that path.

First, there are only 109 undamaged or lightly damaged SDs between Spindle and Manticore, so any plan requiring more than that would require using the 70ish damaged ships, which will have to wait in line to get repaired. Second, we are supposing that Beowulf is using SLN SD designs; while we know they are only deploying SLN tech, we do not actually know if Beowulf's home built ships are a home built design, or a standard SLN design. Third, Havenite SD(p)s with KHII are just months away, and each of them is worth more than a squadron of the SLN Scientists, while having a crew 2/3rds the size of a Scientist. Finally, each Scientist only had 50-60 broadside missile control channels, which was one of their failures against Manticore, making their massive number of missiles ineffective, even though they were inside their own missile range.

All that being said, I wouldn't be surprised if they grabbed a squadron or 2 to bolster their fleet temporarily while they trained up crews for the "Alliance" SD(p)s.

We also have details on the Shrike A that there were not many made before the shift to the -b mod and by 1921, they had all been retired/lost. Looks like Beowulf will have to get the good stuff.

Return to Honorverse