Topic Actions

Topic Search

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Bing [Bot], filbert, Google [Bot], kzt, MaxxQ and 8 guests

Last use for SL SD captured

Join us in talking discussing all things Honor, including (but not limited to) tactics, favorite characters, and book discussions.
Last use for SL SD captured
Post by Lord Skimper   » Sat May 28, 2016 5:41 am

Lord Skimper
Vice Admiral

Posts: 1609
Joined: Wed Aug 07, 2013 12:49 am
Location: Calgary, Nova, Gryphon.

Liberation Class

Fast Freighters

SL-SD Wedge and Compensators

SL Sidewalls
SL tech based Bow and Stern Sidewalls

Broadside:
12 CM SL SD harvested CM with Viper warheads
3 Cataphract S1 DDM Missile Tubes
(Manty LERM EW and Penaids, Fast CM initial stage short ranged but fast, LERM Missile stage)
Keyhole I single with PD possibly a limited version

170 - 340 System Fast Freighters

Made for rapid transport of goods in dangerous systems and situations

SL-SD Ships towed to each of the Silesian Protectorate systems and using Grayson style dispersed yards dismantled and Freighters parked at these yards for fitting.

Not so much to capture Pirates but to look like SD's and bluff and bluster with Defensive capabilities. Run Fast absorb incoming fire and shoot back. Stacked 12 Missiles can attack most any Pirate or Faster non GA Forces. 24 CM can defend or with Viper attack chasing ships or LAC.

Having the modified Cataphract missiles launching with fast CM stages lets them fill both CM roles and hide in Ballistic Viper missile swarms to dissuade attacking chase ships. 36 CM and Cat S1 missiles are launched at attacking ships while the Liberation runs away. First it will confuse any Pirates. Second when the second stage lights up from Ballistic for 12 missiles The attackers will have to deal with Manty LERM missile tech and following that 24 ballistic Vipers. If one Salvo isn't going to break pursuit, multiple salvos just might.
________________________________________
Just don't ask what is in the protein bars.
Top
Re: Last use for SL SD captured
Post by Duckk   » Sat May 28, 2016 5:46 am

Duckk
Site Admin

Posts: 3999
Joined: Sat Aug 08, 2009 5:29 pm

Why do you keep trying to make this a thing? It will never be a thing.
-------------------------
Shields at 50%, taunting at 100%! - Tom Pope
Top
Re: Last use for SL SD captured
Post by Kytheros   » Sat May 28, 2016 5:54 am

Kytheros
Rear Admiral

Posts: 1407
Joined: Thu Dec 29, 2011 11:34 pm

There are two and only two applications that the captured SLN SDs can be used for:
1) Recycling for the materials
2) Live fire shoot houses/training in boarding hostile or disabled ships by the RMMC, live fire demolitions training exercises. Shoot up one SD too much? Scrap it and switch to using the next one.

And, to be honest, I'm fairly certain that the second is unnecessary, as I rather suspect that the RMMC has more than adequate purpose built training facilities.


I suppose they could be used for live fire gunnery/weapons tests as well.
Top
Re: Last use for SL SD captured
Post by munroburton   » Sat May 28, 2016 6:00 am

munroburton
Vice Admiral

Posts: 1699
Joined: Sat Jun 15, 2013 10:16 am
Location: Scotland

Duckk wrote:Why do you keep trying to make this a thing? It will never be a thing.


He did say it was the last use for captured SDs. :lol:

We all know the first use is as extremely over the top gag gift paperweights. "This certificate marks you as the proud owner of one 6.9 million tons limited edition paperweight, #8862 of 10000, formerly designated as SLNS x."
Top
Re: Last use for SL SD captured
Post by Maldorian   » Sat May 28, 2016 7:32 am

Maldorian
Lieutenant (Senior Grade)

Posts: 94
Joined: Thu Aug 27, 2015 5:54 am

Why we discuss this again and again?

The core point is, that Manticore and the solarian League are offical NOT at war!

Manticore give the captured Crew of the solarian ships the Status of prisonors of war, but normally they are pirates.

The mandarines try to find a way to declare war at Manticore, but Manticore still try to find a way out of this mess.

In a perfect world, with smart politicans at the solarian side, they would find a solution for the mess and then the solarians go home and maybe they take their ships with them.

That is the main problem! The juristic Situation is not clear, so, even if you find a use for the captures solarian ships, you wouldn´t know if it is allowed by law.
Manticore don´t want to declare the solarian as pirates, so they can´t offical take their ships and they are not offical at war, what would allow them to take over the ships.

Manticore don´t really need the solarian ships at the one side and of the other side could it be a diplomatic desaster if you use them.
Top
Re: Last use for SL SD captured
Post by SharkHunter   » Sat May 28, 2016 10:07 am

SharkHunter
Rear Admiral

Posts: 1401
Joined: Fri Nov 14, 2014 3:53 pm
Location: Independence, Missouri

I shouldn't because this is like contributing to the delinquency of a minor or something but....

Give them ALL to the Meyers system under the House of Thomas. Along with several technical people (Ginger, Paulo, and Aubrey)... plus a starter shipment and manuals and let their new ally do whatever they need to with them.

Pro(s):
1. get's them out of GA space
2. No GA workspace/dock space required
3. Even as 'tow the pod launchers' with ONE Sag-C controlling the missiles (or a Sag-C and 2 rolands...) Meyers is totally secured, especially after they're converted.
4. gets them off this board for further discussion.

I'll admit, #4 is the big one.

Cons:
1. Too much work to move them
2. Crew them how?
3. Ginger, Aubrey, and Paulo may be busy. (although it does get them closer to Helen Z which can't be all bad...)
4. I just discussed this on the boards.
---------------------
All my posts are YMMV, IMHO, and welcoming polite discussion, extension, and rebuttal. This is the HonorVerse, after all
Top
Re: Last use for SL SD captured
Post by Sigs   » Sat May 28, 2016 10:39 am

Sigs
Captain of the List

Posts: 602
Joined: Mon Mar 16, 2015 6:09 pm

Give them to systems that decide to leave the League but don't have a fleet of their own.

A squadron of SD's to one systems with a sizable training team allows them to train and build up their manpower on the manpower intensive SD's while giving them some level of protection against the SLN as they will be facing equal technology.

For nations like the Kingdom of Meyers gifting a few BC's, CA's, CL's and DD's to them in order to allow them to build up their military seems like a way to go to ensure long term stability rather than force the GA to picket that system for a long time.

Once the nations receiving the ships reach a predetermined level of competence and ability they would be assisted with building more capable units.
Top
Re: Last use for SL SD captured
Post by darrell   » Sat May 28, 2016 9:05 pm

darrell
Rear Admiral

Posts: 1390
Joined: Thu Jan 26, 2012 3:57 am

Sigs wrote:Give them to systems that decide to leave the League but don't have a fleet of their own.

A squadron of SD's to one systems with a sizable training team allows them to train and build up their manpower on the manpower intensive SD's while giving them some level of protection against the SLN as they will be facing equal technology.

For nations like the Kingdom of Meyers gifting a few BC's, CA's, CL's and DD's to them in order to allow them to build up their military seems like a way to go to ensure long term stability rather than force the GA to picket that system for a long time.

Once the nations receiving the ships reach a predetermined level of competence and ability they would be assisted with building more capable units.


Why should they give them to someone else when they can strip the materials off of them and reuse them to cut 10% of the cost of a new SDP 10 SL SD's scrapped and you just paid for a new RMN SDP
<><><><><><><><><><><><>
Logic: an organized way to go wrong, with confidence.
Top
Re: Last use for SL SD captured
Post by Sigs   » Sat May 28, 2016 9:45 pm

Sigs
Captain of the List

Posts: 602
Joined: Mon Mar 16, 2015 6:09 pm

darrell wrote:
Sigs wrote:Give them to systems that decide to leave the League but don't have a fleet of their own.

A squadron of SD's to one systems with a sizable training team allows them to train and build up their manpower on the manpower intensive SD's while giving them some level of protection against the SLN as they will be facing equal technology.

For nations like the Kingdom of Meyers gifting a few BC's, CA's, CL's and DD's to them in order to allow them to build up their military seems like a way to go to ensure long term stability rather than force the GA to picket that system for a long time.

Once the nations receiving the ships reach a predetermined level of competence and ability they would be assisted with building more capable units.


Why should they give them to someone else when they can strip the materials off of them and reuse them to cut 10% of the cost of a new SDP 10 SL SD's scrapped and you just paid for a new RMN SDP

10 SD's given to a core world without an SDF or at least a sizable one allows you to build up the ability of a system that can provide stability at some point.


The SEM/GA should give the surrendered SD's and lighter combatants to new allies because that would subsequently strengthen those allies and help the GA in the long run. Sort of like SKM donating 11 SD's to the GSN. This allowed the GSN to expand faster than waiting for their own domestic construction to make SD's or waiting to buy from Manticore.

Having 10 or 20 systems that over a decade or two build up their fleets to modern standards because of the captured ships will help keep stability in the region.

So the question would be, save 10% of the cost of an 12-14 SD(P)'s or build up potential allies so that they can become a net military contributor rather than a drain on resources.
Top
Re: Last use for SL SD captured
Post by Dauntless   » Sun May 29, 2016 11:59 am

Dauntless
Captain of the List

Posts: 576
Joined: Thu Apr 23, 2015 12:54 pm

but if you want them to be able to later build good ships then you are better off using old RMN/RHN pre pod SD hulls.

The solly SDs are pieces of junk in every respect, over manned, undergunned, crap PD clusters not worth using even by verge nations. for the effort (time, personnel and money) involved to transfer the solly hulls it would likely be cheaper and easier to buy some of the old stuff sold to erewhon by Janacek admiralty, ( given that they have basic podnoughts by now they would probably be happy to sell them for half what they paid which was barely anything to begin with)

plus as other have said technically they can't touch the solly hulls until this little problem with the mandarins has been resolved.
Top

Return to Honorverse