Topic Actions

Topic Search

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 28 guests

Last use for SL SD captured

Join us in talking discussing all things Honor, including (but not limited to) tactics, favorite characters, and book discussions.
Re: Last use for SL SD captured
Post by Fox2!   » Fri Apr 28, 2017 9:31 pm

Fox2!
Commodore

zuluwiz wrote:So what are they going to do with them? Here's my idea: give them back to the Sollies. Imagine the effect on Sollie public opinion. "We don't need or want this trash, ours are way better." Do this very publicly, then sit back and laugh. Would the ISLN dare to not recommission them? How much trained manpower and resources would that suck up?

Just announce that you are towing them into orbit around some planetless K-type star and leave them there. Maybe leave a couple of stealthed CAs to make sure some ne'er-do-well doesn't come along and try to make off with them.
Post by Theemile   » Fri Apr 28, 2017 11:03 pm

Theemile
Fleet Admiral

Ok, here is probably the first genuine idea for the SLN SDs in awhile.

We paint them brown, package all the captured ones together, and sell them as the universe's largest set of Lincoln Logs.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lincoln_Logs
RFC said "refitting a Beowulfan SD to Manticoran standards would be just as difficult as refitting a standard SLN SD to those standards. In other words, it would be cheaper and faster to build new ships."
Post by Lord Skimper   » Sat Apr 29, 2017 3:47 pm

Lord Skimper
Vice Admiral

False flag operations. Sail,them into any system that has a lesser Frontier fleet, tell them you are taking over then offer the planet the option for a plebiscite to join the Grand Alliance or remain as part of Solly space under frontier fleet. FF will be pissed but will also have to leave when a dozen grand admirals (jk but not by much) show up on 6 SD's. They will return to Earth to complain but who cares. Use Peep crews and you can take just about every shell and rim world.
Post by Dauntless   » Sun Apr 30, 2017 8:57 am

Dauntless
Rear Admiral

zuluwiz wrote:So what are they going to do with them? Here's my idea: give them back to the Sollies. Imagine the effect on Sollie public opinion. "We don't need or want this trash, ours are way better." Do this very publicly, then sit back and laugh. Would the ISLN dare to not recommission them? How much trained manpower and resources would that suck up?

that is evil! i like it! though i would take all their small arms and Marine equipment before i gave the ships back.
Post by zuluwiz   » Sun Apr 30, 2017 1:55 pm

zuluwiz
Commander

From what I can see, the main effect of giving back the prizes would be on Battle Fleet morale, which would shrivel and die. The spacers would see that their only hope of surviving contact with the Grand Alliance would be to surrender immediately. Frontier Fleet morale would also suffer, thought perhaps not as badly. The effect on civilian morale would not be much, as the Sollie media would spin the news their way. But the Fleet would know, and fear.
Post by Lord Skimper   » Sun Apr 30, 2017 6:17 pm

Lord Skimper
Vice Admiral

Could just go and park them unannounced in a Solly system. Just show up, park them and leave. Leave it to the Sollies to figure out. Confuse the heck out of someone.
Post by Daryl   » Sun Apr 30, 2017 11:25 pm

Daryl
Fleet Admiral

To save lives and missiles, leave them there but with a well hidden off switch, that responds to a coded signal.

Lord Skimper wrote:Could just go and park them unannounced in a Solly system. Just show up, park them and leave. Leave it to the Sollies to figure out. Confuse the heck out of someone.
Post by George J. Smith   » Mon May 01, 2017 4:11 am

George J. Smith
Commodore

The trouble with taking them anywhere, other than using tugs to tow them to a breakers yard, is getting enough people to operate the systems needed to make the journey. The basic operation of most of the systems will be similar, but sufficiently different to take time to become familiar with, and the GA need their spacers for other duties.

I don't even think the merchant crews sitting idle would be enough to "fly/sail" the Sollie SDs anywhere.
T&R
GJS

A man should live forever, or die in the attempt
Spider Robinson Callahan's Crosstime Saloon (1977) A voice is heard in Ramah
Post by MAD-4A   » Mon May 01, 2017 10:11 am

MAD-4A
Captain of the List

Fox2! wrote:IIRC, about all that's left of the original USS Constitution is [a portion of] her keel. All the rest of her has been rebuilt over the centuries. Yet she is still considered the oldest commissioned warship afloat (HMS Victory being in dry dock makes her only the oldest commissioned warship).

Exactly, it's the old mop question, If I have a mop, the mop head gets worn out so I replace it, a few days later I accidently break the handle and replace the handle, is it the same mop, answer - yes.
-
Almost only counts in Horseshoes and Nuclear Weapons. I almost got the Hand-Grenade out the window does not count.
Post by Duckk   » Mon May 01, 2017 10:14 am

Duckk
Site Admin

MAD-4A wrote:Exactly, it's the old mop question, If I have a mop, the mop head gets worn out so I replace it, a few days later I accidently break the handle and replace the handle, is it the same mop, answer - yes.

It's known in philosophy as the Ship of Theseus.
-------------------------
Shields at 50%, taunting at 100%! - Tom Pope

Return to Honorverse