Topic Actions

Topic Search

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 63 guests

Last use for SL SD captured

Join us in talking discussing all things Honor, including (but not limited to) tactics, favorite characters, and book discussions.
Re: Last use for SL SD captured
Post by Kytheros   » Thu Jun 16, 2016 7:09 pm

Kytheros
Rear Admiral

MAD-4A wrote:
n7axw wrote:...the project of dismantling and revamping the SDs would be more expensive than simply manufacturing new ships from scratch. So why bother?
I keep seeing the same people ranting about how all the Manty production has been destroyed and then ranting that "well they can just make new ones cheaper" - HOW? their production is ZERO. Use the hulls you have! I would suggest keeping (at least initially) some of the stock missile tubes and some magazine space or it will get out that they are all bluster and no bight. As I pointed out earlier, the SL missiles are crap against GA tech but not anyone else's. Also, the Talbot and Silesians area not barbarians in loincloths throwing rocks. they are space faring people and can learn to operate these ships, perhaps with great reduction, as suggested, and corresponding reduction in crew needs. but they could serve to deter SL raids into both areas.

hmmm...we can't build new hulls, we need new ships, what do we do with these hulls? oh, just throw them away. :roll:

During the Spanish American war, the US sank most of the Spanish Navy, many in Manila Bay. Most of those ships were obsolete junk. But, the US raised, repaired and took into service, several of those junk heaps anyway. A hulls a hull, get it out there.

The tech disparity between the Spanish Navy and the US Navy at that point would have been significantly smaller than the tech disparity between the SLN and Erewhon, much less Haven or Manticore.
If it were 1900 PD or early in the first war, maybe it'd be worth using some of the SLN ships. But it's not - doctrine and technology have advanced to the point that it would be like a modern, first world navy employing pre-World War 1 ships. If it's even that close.

Manticore didn't bother trying to commission the hundreds of Havenite SD(P)s captured at the Battle of Manticore into the RMN, they're not going to try to commission SLN SDs that are probably inferior to their last DNs .. which are probably in the Manticoran Reserve, and in much better condition.
If Manticore were in dire need of ships, which it isn't, Manticore has several options vastly better than using SLN SDs. There's the Manticoran Reserve Fleet (loaded with last-gen conventional SDs), acquiring ships from Haven or the Andermani, or acquiring ships from Erewhon. Any of those options would give Manticore superior ships, in terms of design, construction/maintenance quality, supply capability, etc.

I'm pretty sure that there's Word of Weber that SLN SDs are useless for basically anything that doesn't involve scrapping them for raw materials or live fire target practice. I suppose that Manticore could use some of them to try to refine just how many missiles it takes to stop one, so the RMN doesn't overkill them so much. But that's a one-time thing, really.

Manticore doesn't really need to worry about SLN raids into Silesia or the Talbott Quadrant. Astrogeography is not in the SLN's favor for either of those.
Post by Lord Skimper   » Thu Jun 16, 2016 10:42 pm

Lord Skimper
Vice Admiral

Johnathan just to point put the Cataphract missiles and Halo EW is the best SL tech. If you need missiles you have a few 100 thousand of them on the SL SD's. As for Parts from Manticore and Talbot you have about 200 SL SD in untouched condition. Plus a 100-160 in various beat up conditions to a few floating wrecks. More than enough spare parts plus Beowulf can make any parts any of these ships or ones derived from them can make.
Post by Kytheros   » Fri Jun 17, 2016 2:07 am

Kytheros
Rear Admiral

Lord Skimper wrote:Johnathan just to point put the Cataphract missiles and Halo EW is the best SL tech. If you need missiles you have a few 100 thousand of them on the SL SD's. As for Parts from Manticore and Talbot you have about 200 SL SD in untouched condition. Plus a 100-160 in various beat up conditions to a few floating wrecks. More than enough spare parts plus Beowulf can make any parts any of these ships or ones derived from them can make.

Take some Cataphracts to figure out their performance characteristics, sure. Take Cataphracts to use? Not a chance.

Manticore has neither need nor desire for using the SLN SDs for any purpose other than scrapping for raw materials or shooting up in live fire exercises.

It is far more likely that they'll be stripped of all the Marine gear and perhaps most of the small craft to be refurbished as needed and redistributed to Talbott for their ground forces, or distributed elsewhere in the Verge and Protectorates as needed.

Best deployed SLN Tech is still inferior to Erewhonese and Havenite tech in most respects, and most assuredly inferior to Andermani or Manticoran tech in almost all.
Post by SharkHunter   » Fri Jun 17, 2016 5:55 am

SharkHunter
Vice Admiral

I think that's what -Skimper simply chooses to ignore. It's easier by weight to build a Roland DDM than try to alter a single Piece Of Crap SLN missile tube to handle an RMN DDM or MDM and ONE control channel. Oh, and by weight you can build 40 Rolands while you're tearing ONE SD down for rebuild... and we all know how that fight ends. I'll take any battle where you let me have 40 snipers vs. one shotgun-toting calvary rider, no matter how many shotguns and shells you give the person on horseback.

That's why my only usage is as an SDF force for a loyal Verge allied system that the GA has acquired, like Meyers. The House of Thomas can decide what to do with the ships once they've rebuilt a more modern SDF, whether by stripping and rearming the SD's or simply by building a Carlucci style yard and gutting the things for armor and parts.
---------------------
All my posts are YMMV, IMHO, and welcoming polite discussion, extension, and rebuttal. This is the HonorVerse, after all
Post by Kytheros   » Fri Jun 17, 2016 6:13 am

Kytheros
Rear Admiral

SharkHunter wrote:I think that's what -Skimper simply chooses to ignore. It's easier by weight to build a Roland DDM than try to alter a single Piece Of Crap SLN missile tube to handle an RMN DDM or MDM and ONE control channel. Oh, and by weight you can build 40 Rolands while you're tearing ONE SD down for rebuild... and we all know how that fight ends. I'll take any battle where you let me have 40 snipers vs. one shotgun-toting calvary rider, no matter how many shotguns and shells you give the person on horseback.

That's why my only usage is as an SDF force for a loyal Verge allied system that the GA has acquired, like Meyers. The House of Thomas can decide what to do with the ships once they've rebuilt a more modern SDF, whether by stripping and rearming the SD's or simply by building a Carlucci style yard and gutting the things for armor and parts.

It's not 40 Rolands. It is "only" something like 12 or maybe a few more, depending on how generous you are with the rounding.
In terms of required time investment? It's definitely in the Sag-C's favor.
A squadron or two of Sag-Cs is still massive overkill for the one SLN SD. For that matter, a division of Sag-Cs is overkill for a squadron of SLN SDs. Well, everywhere except for energy range. And let's be honest, if a group of Sag-Cs are in energy range of active SLN SDs, something has gone horribly wrong.
Post by Weird Harold   » Fri Jun 17, 2016 6:15 am

Weird Harold
Fleet Admiral

Lord Skimper wrote:Johnathan just to point put the Cataphract missiles and Halo EW is the best SL tech.

One minor detail: Cataphracts are MAlign tech, not SLN tech. The Cataphracts Filareta used came direct from Mesa (although probably built on Darius) and had nothing to do with SLN R&D efforts.
Answers! I got lots of answers!

(Now if I could just find the right questions.)
Post by Lord Skimper   » Sat Jun 25, 2016 7:07 pm

Lord Skimper
Vice Admiral

Where are you going to build these Roland?

Who is talking about refitting these SD, i'm saying scrap them and put the missile tubes, missiles and CM on the Fast Freighters.

The Marine Freighters followed the SD into the Manticore system, no one was going to go back and get them because they took 500 SD into a system that was ransacked by some other neobarb navy. plus 12-24 BC some CL and 24-48 DD.
Post by munroburton   » Sat Jun 25, 2016 7:26 pm

munroburton
Admiral

Lord Skimper wrote:The Marine Freighters followed the SD into the Manticore system, no one was going to go back and get them because they took 500 SD into a system that was ransacked by some other neobarb navy. plus 12-24 BC some CL and 24-48 DD.

Even if they hyper in... They see Filareta's fleet shattered, with wedges down and hundreds of GA SDs and thousands of LACs all over the place.

Then they hyper out as quickly as they can.
Post by Lord Skimper   » Sun Jun 26, 2016 8:20 am

Lord Skimper
Vice Admiral

munroburton wrote:
Lord Skimper wrote:The Marine Freighters followed the SD into the Manticore system, no one was going to go back and get them because they took 500 SD into a system that was ransacked by some other neobarb navy. plus 12-24 BC some CL and 24-48 DD.

Even if they hyper in... They see Filareta's fleet shattered, with wedges down and hundreds of GA SDs and thousands of LACs all over the place.

Then they hyper out as quickly as they can.

They sailed across the hyper limit with the biggest most powerful SL fleet ever to attack anyone let alone a little neobarb system that just got the crap kicked out of them by the boogey pirate fleet no one saw coming. Who are you trying to fool.
Post by Maldorian   » Sun Jun 26, 2016 8:39 am

Maldorian
Captain (Junior Grade)

There is absolutly NO use for the capzured solarian Superdreadnoughts!

First:
Manticore isn´t offical at war with the league. It would be a Problem, if you find a diplomatic way to solve the Problems with the league and the Superdreads are scrapped down, but the sollies want them back!

Second:
Support! The manticorians don´t have the infrastructur to build sollie Equipment. They have better tec, so why producing crap? So, how will you drive the solly superdreads without Equipment?

Third:
Crew! If manticor or someone else: a superdreadnought need a lot of People to run them. For Manticore it would be a wast of Crew and for all others it would be a big Problem to find enough People. Meyers for example don´t have an own navy. Command structures, Support structures and Money supply dont grow on tree´s.

For the smaller vessel´s there is some use, but the solly superdreads are only dead weight.

Return to Honorverse