Topic Actions

Topic Search

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: penny and 104 guests

Last use for SL SD captured

Join us in talking discussing all things Honor, including (but not limited to) tactics, favorite characters, and book discussions.
Re: Last use for SL SD captured
Post by Somtaaw   » Sun May 07, 2017 4:05 pm

Somtaaw
Rear Admiral

The E wrote:
More than would be required to shuttle the crews to a suitably remote location on a nearby habitable planet.

Except the crews are already off the ships, the timeline for Raging Justice is already a few months behind what the latest book set it to.

And the SLN is already committed to both (not) sending additional superdreadnoughts into action, and sending battlecruisers on raids. Even if those Solly BC's have the similar crews to the latest Haven Sector podnoughts it's still going to be relatively small groups at a time, compared to Filareta's Folly.
Post by Fox2!   » Sun May 07, 2017 5:12 pm

Fox2!
Commodore

munroburton wrote:
I think treecat guards are unnecessary. Just find an island roughly the size and isolation of Madagascar or New Zealand, remove all airborne and waterborne transports and leave it to the SLN to maintain internal order. Roughly 10% of their numbers are Marines, after all. Escape - or uprising - attempts are very unlikely to get far in those circumstances.

You allow officers to retain their sidearms, to "aid in maintaining discipline."

I think that's a quote from the terms Grant offered to Lee at Appomattox Courthouse.
Post by kzt   » Sun May 07, 2017 6:33 pm

kzt
Fleet Admiral

Their duty is to escape. So it's unlikely it will work like you think.
Post by Fox2!   » Sun May 07, 2017 6:53 pm

Fox2!
Commodore

kzt wrote:Their duty is to escape. So it's unlikely it will work like you think.

True. That is one difference between those surrendered after a losing battle, and those surrendered as part of an armistice in anticipation of surrender. As long as hostilities are continuing, prisoners do have a duty and an obligation to attempt to escape.

As is, I believe the case on Spindle. The POWs were dropped off on the island(s) with building materials and rations. There are no Manticoran personnel on the islands. It is up to the Sollies to maintain good order and discipline among themselves. Having a few sidearms may be necessary to control the Steilemans among them.

That assumes that you have mixed camps, with officers, NCOs and enlisted ("other ranks") in the same camps. They are frequently segregated to disrupt the formation of a chain of command.
Post by cthia   » Wed May 10, 2017 7:18 am

cthia
Fleet Admiral

Very well, I give in. So long as we're in agreement that this really is the Last, Last use of the last uses of the last of the captured Solly ships. :roll:

Just as well submit my Last recommendation before deadline. A Hail Mary. :lol:

Can the MAlign tell the difference between a Solly ship and a Manty? I'm thinking the RMN can arrange them into some sort of diversion. Can they successfully be made to emulate a makeshift space station appearing to be reserve ships? Something that can draw the fire of a stealthed attack purposely designed to resemble RMN industry?

Similar tactics were used in the old days when armies disguised a fake area to appear like the weapons depot.

Son, your mother says I have to hang you. Personally I don't think this is a capital offense. But if I don't hang you, she's gonna hang me and frankly, I'm not the one in trouble. —cthia's father. Incident in ? Axiom of Common Sense
Post by cthia   » Wed May 10, 2017 7:47 am

cthia
Fleet Admiral

This thought has become so dense that it has manifested into a black hole sucking in thought wormholes upon wormholes away. It is a perpetual feeding frenzy of a singularity.

Its gravity is inescapable.

Son, your mother says I have to hang you. Personally I don't think this is a capital offense. But if I don't hang you, she's gonna hang me and frankly, I'm not the one in trouble. —cthia's father. Incident in ? Axiom of Common Sense
Post by Duckk   » Wed May 10, 2017 7:50 am

Duckk
Site Admin

You don't have to issue lethal sidearms. Tasers or whatever futuristic equivalent would be plenty for discipline, yet not pose a substantial threat to the jailers.
-------------------------
Shields at 50%, taunting at 100%! - Tom Pope
Post by saber964   » Wed May 10, 2017 10:58 am

saber964
Admiral

Duckk wrote:You don't have to issue lethal sidearms. Tasers or whatever futuristic equivalent would be plenty for discipline, yet not pose a substantial threat to the jailers.

IIRC it mentions the use of stun rifles in FoD and SoS. In FoD Ramirez command platoon used them against Denver Summervale minions and in SoS the RMMC was going to give a few of them to the KNP right before the assault on Camp Freedom.
Post by Theemile   » Wed May 10, 2017 11:45 am

Theemile
Fleet Admiral

saber964 wrote:
Duckk wrote:You don't have to issue lethal sidearms. Tasers or whatever futuristic equivalent would be plenty for discipline, yet not pose a substantial threat to the jailers.

IIRC it mentions the use of stun rifles in FoD and SoS. In FoD Ramirez command platoon used them against Denver Summervale minions and in SoS the RMMC was going to give a few of them to the KNP right before the assault on Camp Freedom.

If the RMMC had them, I would assume something similar was standard kit for the Solarian Marines as well.

But, then again, the enlightened Solarian Marines might be above said pacifistic technologies.
RFC said "refitting a Beowulfan SD to Manticoran standards would be just as difficult as refitting a standard SLN SD to those standards. In other words, it would be cheaper and faster to build new ships."
Post by Theemile   » Wed May 10, 2017 11:57 am

Theemile
Fleet Admiral

Fox2! wrote:
munroburton wrote:
I think treecat guards are unnecessary. Just find an island roughly the size and isolation of Madagascar or New Zealand, remove all airborne and waterborne transports and leave it to the SLN to maintain internal order. Roughly 10% of their numbers are Marines, after all. Escape - or uprising - attempts are very unlikely to get far in those circumstances.

You allow officers to retain their sidearms, to "aid in maintaining discipline."

I think that's a quote from the terms Grant offered to Lee at Appomattox Courthouse.

Lee's army wasn't interred, it was surrendered, and the officer's parole was taken, and unit commanders gave the paroles for the enlisted men under their command. It was then the army's job to disperse the troops in an orderly manner.

So a slightly different situation.
RFC said "refitting a Beowulfan SD to Manticoran standards would be just as difficult as refitting a standard SLN SD to those standards. In other words, it would be cheaper and faster to build new ships."

Return to Honorverse