Topic Actions

Topic Search

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Brigade XO and 29 guests

The Misalignment of MA plans?

Join us in talking discussing all things Honor, including (but not limited to) tactics, favorite characters, and book discussions.
Re: The Misalignment of MA plans?
Post by kzt   » Wed Jun 01, 2016 12:49 am

kzt
Fleet Admiral

pnakasone wrote:Not to mention some one just sitting down and putting all the little bits they know together figuring out things all on their own. All it takes is one person at the right time and place to bring down even the most well thought out and implemented plans.

Without anyone noticing you asking questions they don't want asked? And then you do what? Who do you tell how? How do you know they are not part of the organization? Who would you control if you are running this sort of plan?
Post by pnakasone   » Wed Jun 01, 2016 4:27 am

pnakasone
Captain of the List

kzt wrote:
pnakasone wrote:Not to mention some one just sitting down and putting all the little bits they know together figuring out things all on their own. All it takes is one person at the right time and place to bring down even the most well thought out and implemented plans.

Without anyone noticing you asking questions they don't want asked? And then you do what? Who do you tell how? How do you know they are not part of the organization? Who would you control if you are running this sort of plan?

The person too worry about is not the one who asks the awkward questions. But the one who keeps their mouth shut and their ears open. You will surprised what someone will reveal with out being asked a single thing.
Post by cthia   » Wed Jun 01, 2016 9:02 am

cthia
Fleet Admiral

Jonathan_S wrote:My understanding is that the kids are unaware their family is a MAlign sleeper. But at some point their parents, or other family members who are in on the onion, make a final determination of whether to bring the kid into the onion or cut them loose.

If they're cut loose at this point they're no longer a sleeeper - nobody will every try to "wake" them. But if brought into the conspiracy they are now aware of at least their family's immediate goal and can self-direct into the necessary positions of power or influence. (And of course it there's indications that the trust was misplaced then unfortunate things might have to happen to them to preserve the secrecy)

cthia wrote:But she isn't sleeping anymore, so she knows the gist of things. Whether she was placed as an adult while sleeping - with prior knowledge - as Silverwall implies as a possibility in the next post isn't clear to me. Which begs the question of how she decided to become a reporter - an optimal and useful profession to MA plans? If like most, she was a completely ignorant sleeper.

Silverwall wrote:This approach is not consistant with the total secrecy of this conspiricy. In some ways I am sad Weber went with the multigenerational approach to conspiricy as this just can't be kept secret. The details maybe but not the specifics. Just look at the Masons as a real life example.

I would not mind sleeper agents dispatched as young indoctrinated adults al-la Black Widow or the real life russian woman but I find that any conspiricy needs to be handled very very carefully to avoid suspension of disbelief problems. It probably doesn't help the "the big conspiricy" has become the dominant story form in so much fiction and TV in the last few years.

cthia wrote:I'm wholehog in agreement Silverwall. This facet of AD's plan seems so counterintuitive and unlikely. Difficult pill to swallow anyways. And it tends to discount certain things such as 'blood being thicker than water.' The plan seems to arrogantly assume that the adults would be so willing to throw their nieces and nephews etc., to the wolves like so much discarded trash. Seems to me that the only family members that would tend to be approached to join would be those that are hated, or simply tolerated, or the troublemakers - the expendables. The MA version of "Off to military school or die!" Rubs me the wrong way.

It's certainly the weakest link in his plans. Probably conceived on Anisimovna's professor's day off. (Pre-Niecy that is.) LOL

And it certainly invites the KISS principle to his rear end.

JohnRoth wrote:I think you're overthinking it. Here's what RFC said on the matter:

on 2011-06-17 3:86 RFC wrote:The other thing I’ll say is that the Alignment has lost a LOT of its “sleeper” lines over the centuries. It always assumed that it would lose quite a few of them and based its plans on letting a line go (and having redundant backups in place) rather than risking exposure by trying to “salvage” or hang onto one when there was no suitable generational candidate or there was a communications failure.They have also resorted to assassination in more than one instance to tie off potential loose ends. In the case of the Renaissance Factor’s leadership cadres, the “sleepers” are not individual family lines but of groups of allied families, and “the onion” is replicated within those families. These planets have been settled for far shorter periods than most League systems, their elites were infiltrated by the Alignment early on, and clandestine Mesan support (economic, political, and lethal [where serious obstacles can be removed by a discreet assassination or two]) to help them along has been a major factor in how they have become and remained as locally powerful as they are. But it wasn’t until the current generation that any members of those families were let into the full strategy, and even then that knowledge was limited to very carefully selected, screened, and groomed individuals. The same thing holds true within the ranks of the militaries of the RF’s member star nations, and, in fact, MA influence within the military is largely restricted to a single one of the RF’s navies (which one is left to the reader, based on textev already presented <G>), which is the main reason Darius was necessary in the first place.

JohnRoth wrote:RFC said that they duplicated the onion on the worlds they seeded, which means that there are several levels from "outsider" to "core." He also said somewhere (probably in a dump on the site, not in one of the books) that they were working with a cluster of families, that is, essentially a clan.

So the kids are basically tested as to whether they can keep their mouths shut. Then they're let in on the "great secret": their families think that the genetic improvement of the entire human race is a great idea, but you mustn't tell anyone else because of the awful Beowulf Code and the prejudice against genies. We'll work on it in secret.

If ce can handle that, then ce's invited to the next level down. And so forth. Kids that can't handle it aren't "cut loose," they're simply left at the outer level doing whatever their family business is.

Still... it just does not compute. For me anyways. Assassinations are carried out to tie up "potential loose ends." Why are these ends "loose?" Either...

1 They were asked to join and refused.
2 They were asked to join, accepted, then later refused.
3 They were asked to join and not only refused but were repulsed.
4 Other...

Were they assassinated on the spot, or were they allowed to leave and possibly confer with someone? Regardless, other family, friends and associates should miss these people who are strangely being murdered [after] this offer. Are people numb to other people being murdered? Isn't this cold insensitivity the same thing that soured Simoes and made him defect?

The fact that they are working with entire clans of families makes it even less believable. My own family members would excrete bricks if something happened to me. My sisters and nieces would ball their eyes out. Now, if the adults in my family are inside the Onion - being privy and guilty by association to this constant heartache would break them. And what of their own feelings (blood being thicker than water) for their assassinated family members?

And seriously, how can you test fickle teenagers' resolve to keep quiet? At first they may agree to keep quiet and actually think that they can, yet that is prior to their becoming privy to the dirty under belly of their sect?

And last but not least, what kid do you know that can keep a secret? LOL

Common exchange between my sister and I as kids...

"Sis, can you keep a secret?"

"Sure brother."

"For how long dear?"

Son, your mother says I have to hang you. Personally I don't think this is a capital offense. But if I don't hang you, she's gonna hang me and frankly, I'm not the one in trouble. —cthia's father. Incident in ? Axiom of Common Sense
Post by Joat42   » Wed Jun 01, 2016 9:20 am

Joat42
Admiral

Regarding the topic of sleeper agents, someone posited that some of them inherited their position from their parents.

In regards to cthia's reply that she found it less than likely that a teenager could keep a secret: who said that they where teenagers when they where told the truth?

I though we already established that any presumptive sleeper agent was groomed and tested over a very long period which would establish their trustworthiness, this automatically excludes teenagers since they are still in the grooming phase. The closer to the center of the onion the longer the process of vetting.

---
Jack of all trades and destructive tinkerer.

Anyone who have simple solutions for complex problems is a fool.
Post by cthia   » Wed Jun 01, 2016 9:29 am

cthia
Fleet Admiral

Joat42 wrote:Regarding the topic of sleeper agents, someone posited that some of them inherited their position from their parents.

In regards to cthia's reply that she found it less than likely that a teenager could keep a secret: who said that they where teenagers when they where told the truth?

I though we already established that any presumptive sleeper agent was groomed and tested over a very long period which would establish their trustworthiness, this automatically excludes teenagers since they are still in the grooming phase. The closer to the center of the onion the longer the process of vetting.

In that case - in the place of "kids" should be "offspring" in JohnRoth's post above?

Son, your mother says I have to hang you. Personally I don't think this is a capital offense. But if I don't hang you, she's gonna hang me and frankly, I'm not the one in trouble. —cthia's father. Incident in ? Axiom of Common Sense
Post by Joat42   » Wed Jun 01, 2016 10:03 am

Joat42
Admiral

cthia wrote:
Joat42 wrote:Regarding the topic of sleeper agents, someone posited that some of them inherited their position from their parents.

In that case - in the place of "kids" should be "offspring" in JohnRoth's post above?

Never met a parent who hasn't referred to their offspring as "kids", even if the "kids" are 30+ :lol:

But you are right, kids are a bit ambiguous for this context - I think I would use the heirs presumptive instead of offspring though.

---
Jack of all trades and destructive tinkerer.

Anyone who have simple solutions for complex problems is a fool.
Post by darrell   » Wed Jun 01, 2016 10:04 am

darrell
Rear Admiral

cthia wrote:

Yep, there are multiple accounts in this forum when I or someone else used a word that was later revealed to not be the ideal choice.
<><><><><><><><><><><><>
Logic: an organized way to go wrong, with confidence.
Post by George J. Smith   » Wed Jun 01, 2016 11:08 am

George J. Smith
Commodore

Didn't Alison refer to Honor & Hamish as "the children" when she was talking to Rev Sullivan.
T&R
GJS

A man should live forever, or die in the attempt
Spider Robinson Callahan's Crosstime Saloon (1977) A voice is heard in Ramah
Post by cthia   » Wed Jun 01, 2016 11:21 am

cthia
Fleet Admiral

George J. Smith wrote:Didn't Alison refer to Honor & Hamish as "the children" when she was talking to Rev Sullivan.

IIRC, Emily did as well. Though, if I'm correct, I think she was referring to Honor and Hamish's social ineptitude rather than their age.

Post by cthia   » Wed Jun 01, 2016 11:38 am

cthia
Fleet Admiral

At any rate, to continue the discussion. Another reason I was so inclined to accept that they were approached as kids is because that is the impressionable state of humanity. The time before man becomes set in his ways and rigid - and before the kids can make counterproductive MA-like decisions - e.g., marrying a Manticoran. Marriage would seem to totally complicate Onioning, even if the wife isn't of Manticoran or gasp Beowulfan descent.

So even though they aren't teenagers, they would still have to be relatively young it seems, before they have time to acquire too much anti-MA baggage. And the younger they are, the less their mind is made up, even when it's made up.

Return to Honorverse