Topic Actions

Topic Search

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Google [Bot] and 68 guests

Hyperspace missile pod.

Join us in talking discussing all things Honor, including (but not limited to) tactics, favorite characters, and book discussions.
Re: Hyperspace missile pod.
Post by Lord Skimper   » Mon May 23, 2016 1:05 am

Lord Skimper
Vice Admiral

Hmm I just thought of a reason it wouldn't work with a Keyhole size shaped system. Still it can be modified to work just need to put the impellers on booms.
Post by The E   » Mon May 23, 2016 3:08 am

The E
Admiral

Lord Skimper wrote:Hmm I just thought of a reason it wouldn't work with a Keyhole size shaped system. Still it can be modified to work just need to put the impellers on booms.

That is not a reason why this wouldn't work. There are many, many others (Chief among them the simple question: What does this thing do better than, say, a division of Saganami-C's with a full pod load).
Post by Annachie   » Mon May 23, 2016 4:08 am

Annachie
Fleet Admiral

So basically an unmanned destroyer (well ok something a bit bigger) being flown by remote control.

Actually I can see a point.

The clasic wormhole assault.

Jump in real close and let the unmanned ships soak the damage while hopefully the remote control crew are sitting pretty a little behind the combat.

Still strikes me as a bit of a soloution looking for a specific problem.

Sent from my SM-G920I using Tapatalk
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
You are so going to die. :p ~~~~ runsforcelery
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
still not dead. :)
Post by The E   » Mon May 23, 2016 4:32 am

The E
Admiral

Annachie wrote:The clasic wormhole assault.

Jump in real close and let the unmanned ships soak the damage while hopefully the remote control crew are sitting pretty a little behind the combat.

Doesn't work though, unless the controllers are sitting close to the wormhole before the pods make transition; this strikes me as being just a tiny bit impractical.
Post by Weird Harold   » Mon May 23, 2016 6:45 am

Weird Harold
Fleet Admiral

Annachie wrote:Actually I can see a point.

The clasic wormhole assault.

It is explicitly stated that there has never been a successful unmanned transit of a wormhole. RFC has also explicitly stated there will NOT be any remote-control or autonomous attack systems in the Honorverse.
Answers! I got lots of answers!

(Now if I could just find the right questions.)
Post by Theemile   » Mon May 23, 2016 6:47 am

Theemile
Fleet Admiral

The E wrote:
Annachie wrote:The clasic wormhole assault.

Doesn't work though, unless the controllers are sitting close to the wormhole before the pods make transition; this strikes me as being just a tiny bit impractical.

Also, the pods are sitting ducks , unable to launch their missiles, while they transit the emergence lane, which can be as much as several minutes. So unless the pod is shrowded in SD grade armor ( further driving up size and costs), this is a no go as well.
RFC said "refitting a Beowulfan SD to Manticoran standards would be just as difficult as refitting a standard SLN SD to those standards. In other words, it would be cheaper and faster to build new ships."
Post by Somtaaw   » Mon May 23, 2016 8:05 am

Somtaaw
Rear Admiral

Lord Skimper wrote:Keyhole II is in the 150-180Kton range, about the size of a Roland. It already has a wedge

Keyhole does NOT have a wedge, so you're already horribly mistaken. It's a tractored unit that also relies on beamed power from the ship it's tractored to and providing fire support for. And if you're talking the notional Keyhole-II's that are being redesigned for system defense, with the Apollo Mycroft system, they ALSO do NOT have wedges, although they will have at least a small fusion core for self-provided power.

Lord Skimper wrote:Carrying 6 to 12 Apollo pods. 48+6 / 96+12 missiles.

"Carrying" pods, still requires you devote tonnage to that purpose. You're trying to turn a Keyhole platform which is almost 100% dedicated to control links, and PDLC's, into a mini-Medusa.

Lord Skimper wrote:Be it half or a quarter of these links, the other half to 3/4 being devoted to Sails, and HDrives.

This again, means less, and less space for this crazed idea of turning Keyhole into some form of bastard pod.

Lord Skimper wrote:70-120M Km ranged Missiles popping out of Hyperspace and attacking. Previous drops will include Ghost rider platforms, which will help with targeting. Say a dozen, but then ghost rider is tiny small. Carried in by Freighter or some such thing.

So.... the fact that any destroyer that's handed MDM pods and drops out of hyper can also do this, and your notional AI-driven (which is STILL a big no-no, you're not allowed an AI operated war machine) is a one pump Chuck, blows its wad once and is now useless. And the destroyer can continue on attacking with internal launchers, and energy weapons, while your pod is now sitting uselessly in space.
Post by Duckk   » Mon May 23, 2016 8:14 am

Duckk
Site Admin

Somtaaw wrote:
Lord Skimper wrote:Keyhole II is in the 150-180Kton range, about the size of a Roland. It already has a wedge

Keyhole does NOT have a wedge, so you're already horribly mistaken. It's a tractored unit that also relies on beamed power from the ship it's tractored to and providing fire support for. And if you're talking the notional Keyhole-II's that are being redesigned for system defense, with the Apollo Mycroft system, they ALSO do NOT have wedges, although they will have at least a small fusion core for self-provided power.

http://infodump.thefifthimperium.com/en ... gton/166/1
-------------------------
Shields at 50%, taunting at 100%! - Tom Pope
Post by Somtaaw   » Mon May 23, 2016 8:19 am

Somtaaw
Rear Admiral

Duckk wrote:
Somtaaw wrote:

Ah, I stand corrected. I was positive both Keyhole's were purely tractored units, with at best thrusters to reorient to maximize PDLC application.
Post by MaxxQ   » Mon May 23, 2016 9:30 am

MaxxQ
BuNine

Duckk wrote:
Somtaaw wrote:Keyhole does NOT have a wedge, so you're already horribly mistaken. It's a tractored unit that also relies on beamed power from the ship it's tractored to and providing fire support for. And if you're talking the notional Keyhole-II's that are being redesigned for system defense, with the Apollo Mycroft system, they ALSO do NOT have wedges, although they will have at least a small fusion core for self-provided power.

Also: http://maxxqbunine.deviantart.com/art/A ... -486640828

http://maxxqbunine.deviantart.com/art/N ... -485504175

Note the impeller ring.

Return to Honorverse