Topic Actions

Topic Search

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 47 guests

What happens if the GA demands the SL breakup?

Join us in talking discussing all things Honor, including (but not limited to) tactics, favorite characters, and book discussions.
What happens if the GA demands the SL breakup?
Post by Loren Pechtel   » Thu May 19, 2016 5:52 pm

Loren Pechtel
Rear Admiral

We know that once a force controls the orbitals of a planet that planet must surrender (or face bombardment that would otherwise be a violation of the Eridani Edict.)

What happens of the GA takes Earth which forces the Solarian League to surrender and then the GA demands the dismantling of the Solarian League and dispersing the navy to the member worlds corresponding to their population?
Re: What happens if the GA demands the SL breakup?
Post by Weird Harold   » Thu May 19, 2016 7:20 pm

Weird Harold
Fleet Admiral

Loren Pechtel wrote:What happens of the GA takes Earth which forces the Solarian League to surrender and then the GA demands the dismantling of the Solarian League and dispersing the navy to the member worlds corresponding to their population?

The entire League pulls together and crushes the GA?
Answers! I got lots of answers!

(Now if I could just find the right questions.)
Post by npadln   » Thu May 19, 2016 8:22 pm

npadln
Commander

Weird Harold wrote:
Loren Pechtel wrote:What happens of the GA takes Earth which forces the Solarian League to surrender and then the GA demands the dismantling of the Solarian League and dispersing the navy to the member worlds corresponding to their population?

More like a lot of hair pulling, screaming in the streets and demands for action leading to irresistible political pressure to act whether the timing is right or not. Anything other than that is just conjecture. And besides, if the SL Navy in its present state is little more than cannon fodder for the GA why would they be something other than that if angered and goaded to act quickly? If they would be formidable then than they are formidable now and thus the GA is doomed especially now that they have someone running the Navy who apparently does take the GA seriously.
Post by kzt   » Thu May 19, 2016 8:29 pm

kzt
Fleet Admiral

npadln wrote:
Weird Harold wrote: If they would be formidable then than they are formidable now and thus the GA is doomed especially now that they have someone running the Navy who apparently does take the GA seriously.

There is a huge difference between fighting the SL's government and the entire SL. It's the difference between the US fightingWW2 and the US fighting those two fool's "NATO's splendid little war" in in Libya a few years ago.
Post by SharkHunter   » Thu May 19, 2016 8:55 pm

SharkHunter
Vice Admiral

Big question is "demands from who?" the Mandarins? they are unelected bureaucrats with a lot of power because of position. Can't give direct orders to the SLN, just the folks who run the SLN. Demands from Kingsford (Fleet Admiral...) who has no authority to surrender anything except his ships and crews? the assembly? legislators that can't surrender their planets. That's probably executive plus populace under threat of bombardment from orbit for each star system, and I don't see the GA attempting that.

That's why the Solarian League as "coherent government" is an unmanageable mess. About the best the GA can do is find sector governors and make deals, which they'll do anyway.
---------------------
All my posts are YMMV, IMHO, and welcoming polite discussion, extension, and rebuttal. This is the HonorVerse, after all
Post by Weird Harold   » Thu May 19, 2016 8:59 pm

Weird Harold
Fleet Admiral

kzt wrote:
npadln wrote:If they would be formidable then than they are formidable now and thus the GA is doomed especially now that they have someone running the Navy who apparently does take the GA seriously.

There is a huge difference between fighting the SL's government and the entire SL. It's the difference between the US fightingWW2 and the US fighting those two fool's "NATO's splendid little war" in in Libya a few years ago.

Not my quote -- fyp

Post by kzt   » Thu May 19, 2016 9:01 pm

kzt
Fleet Admiral

Sorry, drawback of posting on my phone at the gym.
Post by Weird Harold   » Thu May 19, 2016 9:15 pm

Weird Harold
Fleet Admiral

kzt wrote:Sorry, drawback of posting on my phone at the gym.

No biggie. Un-raveling nested quotes can be a pain no matter what your keyboard is like. :(

npadln wrote:
Weird Harold wrote:quote="Loren Pechtel"]What happens of the GA takes Earth which forces the Solarian League to surrender and then the GA demands the dismantling of the Solarian League and dispersing the navy to the member worlds corresponding to their population?
/quote]

More like a lot of hair pulling, screaming in the streets and demands for action leading to irresistible political pressure to act whether the timing is right or not. Anything other than that is just conjecture. And besides, if the SL Navy in its present state is little more than cannon fodder for the GA why would they be something other than that if angered and goaded to act quickly? If they would be formidable then than they are formidable now and thus the GA is doomed especially now that they have someone running the Navy who apparently does take the GA seriously.

The GA cannot survive against a Solarian League that stays intact. They cannot afford to do anything which will cause a "nobody picks on my brother but me" reaction that will prevent the League from self-destructing. They don't have sufficient manpower to occupy all of the League Member systems so they have to convince each member to secede and disassociate themselves from the central government. That is a result that cannot be dictated or coerced without planting the seeds of eventual revanchism. If the seed of revenge is there, whether from individual league members or a unified league, the GA is looking at a future of war against many different enemies or one huge enemy with far more resources than the GA can muster.

The GA can only survive in the long term by remembering, "I destroy my enemy when I make him my friend."

Post by Brigade XO   » Fri May 20, 2016 10:07 am

Brigade XO
Fleet Admiral

Isn't going to happen.

The GA isn't going to demand the SL break up. That would imply that they could force the action using the military. It would be taken as a direct threat by a great number of people and used as a rallying cry for the SL.

Much better to let it shatter on it's own. Hard though it may be for the GA and places like Beowulf, this becomes a case of needing to stand on defense and let the other side break against you.
Post by kzt   » Fri May 20, 2016 10:34 am

kzt
Fleet Admiral

One the definitions of diplomacy is "the art of saying 'nice doggie' while slowly reaching for a rock". And when you are outnumbered a thousand to one, convincing them that they need to fight you will end badly.

Return to Honorverse