Topic Actions

Topic Search

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 70 guests

Personal laser weapons.

Join us in talking discussing all things Honor, including (but not limited to) tactics, favorite characters, and book discussions.
Re: Personal laser weapons.
Post by Louis R   » Sat May 21, 2016 9:51 pm

Louis R
Rear Admiral

The entry appears to be discussing the 2 weapons as if they have the same characteristics. This might just be sloppiness, but it's an indication that they produce the same plasma packets. OTOH, a more energetic packet would be harder to confine, so you could end up with effective ranges close enough to cover with the one discussion.

Weird Harold wrote:
darrell wrote:Based on HoS text, I suspect that the plasma carbine and rifle fire the same power of charge, we still don't know if it's power is more powerful than the plasma cannon on individual shots.

I suspect the relationship is similar to the relationship of M1 Garand and M1 Carbine -- similar actions but different cartridges with greatly dissimilar power. (30-06 and .30 Carbine.) The Plasma Rifle having two power cells vs one for the Plasma Carbine suggests the possibility of twice the power for the same number of shots instead of twice as many shots.
Post by darrell   » Sat May 21, 2016 11:14 pm

darrell
Rear Admiral

Weird Harold wrote:
darrell wrote:Based on HoS text, I suspect that the plasma carbine and rifle fire the same power of charge, we still don't know if it's power is more powerful than the plasma cannon on individual shots.

I suspect the relationship is similar to the relationship of M1 Garand and M1 Carbine -- similar actions but different cartridges with greatly dissimilar power. (30-06 and .30 Carbine.) The Plasma Rifle having two power cells vs one for the Plasma Carbine suggests the possibility of twice the power for the same number of shots instead of twice as many shots.

from HoS: Each cell is good for three to twelve shots, depending on power settings.

which indicates that both fire the same power shots, the rifle can fire 6 full power shots, the carbine only three.
<><><><><><><><><><><><>
Logic: an organized way to go wrong, with confidence.
Post by George J. Smith   » Sun May 22, 2016 4:41 am

George J. Smith
Commodore

Given the different barrel lengths it points to the power packs being carried under or around the barrel, therefore there is room for only 1 cell on the carbine but 2 on the rifle.
T&R
GJS

A man should live forever, or die in the attempt
Spider Robinson Callahan's Crosstime Saloon (1977) A voice is heard in Ramah

Return to Honorverse