Topic Actions

Topic Search

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 157 guests

Haven ships below the wall

Join us in talking discussing all things Honor, including (but not limited to) tactics, favorite characters, and book discussions.
Re: Haven ships below the wall
Post by Theemile   » Wed May 25, 2016 11:52 am

Theemile
Fleet Admiral

Kytheros wrote:
I think the system Talbott?Talbot? (can never remember which has one "t" at the end and which has two) that was a Manticoran ally/associate with a wormhole bridge is relatively near to Manticore and connects to somewhere in League/OFS controlled space.

You are thinking about Idaho (~20 light years WSW of Manticore) and Zunker in the Protectorates.

Talbot (the star) was a Manty ally which had a 1st war fleetbase with the capability to build SDs - presumably it has it's own SD fleet. Both Cromarty and High Ridge refused to give them Buttercup tech to upgrade their fleet & Fleetbase. Haven convinced them between the wars to break with Manticore due to the tech, the diplomatic issues, and High Ridge's policies. Their SD yard is partially mothballed, partially converted to other uses.

I always remember the spelling as the number of "T"s at the end denotes the order in the series it was introduced.
RFC said "refitting a Beowulfan SD to Manticoran standards would be just as difficult as refitting a standard SLN SD to those standards. In other words, it would be cheaper and faster to build new ships."
Post by Weird Harold   » Wed May 25, 2016 9:06 pm

Weird Harold
Fleet Admiral

Kytheros wrote:By extension, there's Erewhon=>Pheonix. Don't know where the League-side terminus of Erewhon's wormhole goes, though.

The star maps I've got show Erewhon's junction connects to Terre Haut in the Phoenix cluster and to Sasebo in the League (near the outer edge of the Shell systems. The maps (fan compiled) disagree on which side of of the League Sasebo is on, but they agree on the distance from Sol. They do agree that Sasebo is 359 LY from Erewhon.
Answers! I got lots of answers!

(Now if I could just find the right questions.)
Post by Sigs   » Wed May 25, 2016 11:36 pm

Sigs
Rear Admiral

The E wrote:
But that's all irrelevant if you can take and hold the wormhole junction. Sure, sending Filareta out was a big gamble, but if he had succeeded, he would have been able to secure a logistics pipeline straight into the core of the League. And honestly, the forces the SLN is likely to send out to raid Manty commerce are all going to be light enough that they can be supplied for some time using just normal fleet train capabilities.

The SLN has lost 50 Transports in Second Battle of Manticore, plus an unknown number in the battle of Spindle(if any) but they also started the war with insufficient fleet train and what little there is of it would be firmly needed back home for "offensive" operations. Sending the few remaining freighters and transports under direct SLN control to support commerce raiding against Manticore Leaves the League with little in the way of support at home. Sending transports and freighters that do not belong to the SLN on the other hand to support these operations runs the risk of aggravating the problems back home with their own businessmen which might speed up the League's collapse.

And once a few SLN ships are captured in the Haven Sector, and stacking out the location where they are to meet with the logistical support means that support is gone and everyone who subsequently goes for resupply would be destroyed/captured as well.

And at the end of the day, the GA has more freighters than they need which means that any they loose can be replaced quickly and any important cargo would be sufficiently well protected to discourage even the dumbest SLN officer.
Post by Sigs   » Wed May 25, 2016 11:45 pm

Sigs
Rear Admiral

caias wrote:
Brigade XO wrote:I realize we are talking about the SLN here but they have just run into a couple of problems with Fleet Train units. They lost everything with Crandal. Surrendered.
We don't seem to know what happened to the Fleet Train units that should have been with Filerta.

I don't disagree with you in principle, and Solarian leadership have been known to ignore reality when making their plans, but the forward-deployed commerce raiding strategy using lighter units is the Strategy Kolokoltsov and Kingsford have agreed to pursue, as of the last time we've heard from them, AFAIK.

Therefore, in the absence of textev to the contrary, I think it's safe to assume that they're at least going to make a go of it, however badly we might expect it to turn out.

They may try but the only places that strategy could actually truly hurt the GA also happen to be very well protected.

Plus the SLN has no experience with commerce raiding other than disappearing ships when they need to create a piracy problem. So they may underestimate the need for logistical support which would only come into play once the actual planning starts in earnest.

Return to Honorverse