Topic Actions

Topic Search

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 168 guests

Shadow of Victory November 1

Join us in talking discussing all things Honor, including (but not limited to) tactics, favorite characters, and book discussions.
Shadow of Victory November 1
Post by C. O. Thompson   » Tue May 17, 2016 9:58 am

C. O. Thompson
Captain of the List

Got the word form Amazon today...

November 1, 2016 release
Just my 2 ₡ worth
Re: Shadow of Victory November 1
Post by The E   » Tue May 17, 2016 10:10 am

The E
Admiral

There's already a thread about this.

Bottom line is that the publication date is not firmly confirmed yet (Baen's public release schedule only extends 4 months into the future).
Post by C. O. Thompson   » Tue May 17, 2016 4:13 pm

C. O. Thompson
Captain of the List

The E wrote:There's already a thread about this.

Bottom line is that the publication date is not firmly confirmed yet (Baen's public release schedule only extends 4 months into the future).

The E

You are right on both points... I have an excellent memory (it is short but it is excellent)
Just my 2 ₡ worth
Post by Louis R   » Tue May 17, 2016 4:47 pm

Louis R
Rear Admiral

The date _is_ confirmed: Baen gives their publication schedule to S&S long [as in 8-12 months] before they post it themselves, and S&S gets _very_ cranky if it slips after they announce it to the trade, which they do in 4-month slices 8 months before the first month included in that particular catalog. At that point, a major personal or natural disaster is required before the date is allowed slip - and if it happens it's as likely to be _after_ Baen posts the date as before [which is exactly what happened with one current title]. Amazon gets their date from that S&S catalog, so it's straight from the critter's mouth. Off the top of my head, I can only think of 2 cases where Baen missed a release date published by S&S in the last 20 years. There have been a small number of agreed schedule changes, but even those are rare since they bugger both Baen's work flow and S&S's marketing machinery.

C. O. Thompson wrote:
The E wrote:There's already a thread about this.

The E

You are right on both points... I have an excellent memory (it is short but it is excellent)
Post by Theemile   » Tue May 17, 2016 10:20 pm

Theemile
Fleet Admiral

Louis R wrote:The date _is_ confirmed: Baen gives their publication schedule to S&S long [as in 8-12 months] before they post it themselves, and S&S gets _very_ cranky if it slips after they announce it to the trade, which they do in 4-month slices 8 months before the first month included in that particular catalog. At that point, a major personal or natural disaster is required before the date is allowed slip - and if it happens it's as likely to be _after_ Baen posts the date as before [which is exactly what happened with one current title]. Amazon gets their date from that S&S catalog, so it's straight from the critter's mouth. Off the top of my head, I can only think of 2 cases where Baen missed a release date published by S&S in the last 20 years. There have been a small number of agreed schedule changes, but even those are rare since they bugger both Baen's work flow and S&S's marketing machinery.

But, like "Cauldron of Ghosts", it isn't unheard of for books to be submitted so late that in order to make said schedule, some... corners, shall we call them, are cut off the normal process to make the set timeline.
RFC said "refitting a Beowulfan SD to Manticoran standards would be just as difficult as refitting a standard SLN SD to those standards. In other words, it would be cheaper and faster to build new ships."
Post by C. O. Thompson   » Wed May 18, 2016 4:16 pm

C. O. Thompson
Captain of the List

Theemile wrote:
Louis R wrote:The date _is_ confirmed: Baen gives their publication schedule to S&S long [as in 8-12 months] before they post it themselves, and S&S gets _very_ cranky if it slips after they announce it to the trade, which they do in 4-month slices 8 months before the first month included in that particular catalog. At that point, a major personal or natural disaster is required before the date is allowed slip - and if it happens it's as likely to be _after_ Baen posts the date as before [which is exactly what happened with one current title]. Amazon gets their date from that S&S catalog, so it's straight from the critter's mouth. Off the top of my head, I can only think of 2 cases where Baen missed a release date published by S&S in the last 20 years. There have been a small number of agreed schedule changes, but even those are rare since they bugger both Baen's work flow and S&S's marketing machinery.

But, like "Cauldron of Ghosts", it isn't unheard of for books to be submitted so late that in order to make said schedule, some... corners, shall we call them, are cut off the normal process to make the set timeline.

I (for one) volunteer to edit the work and to finish proof reading within 48 hours.
Just my 2 ₡ worth
Post by Louis R   » Wed May 18, 2016 5:23 pm

Louis R
Rear Admiral

War of Honor, also - in fact, ISTR Himself saying that an edited edition is being considered.

And that just shows how important it is to meet the published schedule. Among other things, you lose your slot in the entire logistics train, and there may not be another one available later. Ditto for shelf space, if your name isn't Rowling or Martin.

Theemile wrote:

Return to Honorverse