Topic Actions

Topic Search

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 163 guests

Attacking Earth

Join us in talking discussing all things Honor, including (but not limited to) tactics, favorite characters, and book discussions.
Re: Attacking Earth
Post by pnakasone   » Mon Jun 20, 2016 6:22 pm

pnakasone
Captain of the List

Must not forget that SLN is two different Navies Battle Fleet and Frontier Fleet. The reserve is primarily Battle Fleets SDs and contains only a small number of the lighter classes. All the light stuff was to be provided by the Frontier Fleet.
Post by darrell   » Mon Jun 20, 2016 6:36 pm

darrell
Rear Admiral

StealthSeeker wrote:
Kytheros wrote:There's no point in destroying the Reserve. Actually
trying to reactivate it would break the SLN, and the League.
Nothing in it has any meaningful combat value, much of it is old and obsolete, even by the standards of the SLN, no real maintenance has been performed, and there's jack all for crew.
It would be cheaper and faster to design and build an entire new fleet than to reactivate the SLN Reserve. You'd almost certainly end up with better ships if you started from scratch, too.

I would disagree. Filareta in his attack on Manticore was boasting of the size of the reserve fleet as in incentive for the Manticore fleet to surrender and not antagonize the SLN. The SLN itself is just now coming to the realization of how useless the reserve SD's really are, how aware do you think the public is of just how useless it is? Having it destroyed would sociologically remove the "club" of the reserve fleet from the minds of the SL general public, not just the SLN.

Second, SD's would be lousy at commerce raiding but the thousands of smaller ships, destroyers and cruisers, which would be much easier to bring out of mothballs, would work great for the commerce raiding that the new SLN "Lord Admiral" is suggesting for a war tactic. Those smaller ships may not be a match for any GA ship of similar size but the shear number of them scattered about the universe would be in hundreds of places that the GA would not have the ships to cover. How many destroyers could they crew with the people from one active SD or called up from a reserve?

Third, how much of a shock would it be to the SL and the SLN to have a bunch of "insignificant" LAC's "ghost" in, unseen, until they go active, and start destroying things. The facilities for building/reactivating ships would also have to be destroyed on the "pass through" by the LAC's. The carriers for the LAC's would drop them off outside sensor range, then jump to the opposite side of the elliptic to pick them up after they have passed through and destroyed everything.

Use those LAC's to hit them hard like they did to Haven in operation buttercup(?). Their heads will be spinning so hard they won't have a clue as to which end is up!

Destroy as much military infrastructure as you can but leave the civilian stuff alone. The GA might even try some commerce raiding of it's own. Capture as much shipping as they can. The SL is already severely short on transports, make it even worse. If the GA ship doesn't have a prize crew for the freighter, space everything from the freighter but food, clothing and farm equipment. We don't want them to think that we are trying to starve anyone to death or kill civilian crews.

Leave civilian stuff as untouched as possible. Make it clear that the attack is only on the military as a reprisal for their attack on Beowulf.

I agree that the reserve fleet needs to be destroyed. it will provide a psycological victory with minimal death.

For this first attack, target only the reserve fleet. If a reserve ship is among a military shipyard or active military units target the reserve ship but not the shipyard. Under no circumstances target a reserve ship that is at a civilian facility.

Wherever possible don't attack any active ships. Think how much more devistating when 6 manticore SDP's and 2 CLAC's go in, destroy 100 or more reserve ships, never fire a shipkiller at the 24 SLN SDP's, and even though outnumbered 3 to one, the SLN can't score a singe hit on a GA ship.
<><><><><><><><><><><><>
Logic: an organized way to go wrong, with confidence.
Post by StealthSeeker   » Mon Jun 20, 2016 8:37 pm

StealthSeeker
Commander

pnakasone wrote:Must not forget that SLN is two different Navies Battle Fleet and Frontier Fleet. The reserve is primarily Battle Fleets SDs and contains only a small number of the lighter classes. All the light stuff was to be provided by the Frontier Fleet.

The Frontier Fleet always seems to be strapped for ships and what they have seems to be of much older and refurbished classes. I don't think Crandal's attack force used any Frontier Fleet ships and she had a good number of smaller class ships.

I just don't see the Frontier Fleet coming up with the number of ships needed for the commerce raiding that the new SLN "High Admiral" is talking about. And it didn't seem like he was talking about taking the time to build a bunch of new ships for how soon he wanted to begin the task. Though he was talking about building a bunch of smaller classes rather than SD's, (he could turn them out much faster) at least until the technology gap is closed. But he is still going to need that bunch of smaller class ships that are almost immediately available and they have to come from somewhere. Where did all those BC's come from that were delivered to Monica?

I think that there are a lot of smaller ships in the reserve.
Last edited by StealthSeeker on Mon Jun 20, 2016 10:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.
-
-
I think therefore I am.... I think
Post by pnakasone   » Mon Jun 20, 2016 9:03 pm

pnakasone
Captain of the List

StealthSeeker wrote:
pnakasone wrote:Must not forget that SLN is two different Navies Battle Fleet and Frontier Fleet. The reserve is primarily Battle Fleets SDs and contains only a small number of the lighter classes. All the light stuff was to be provided by the Frontier Fleet.

The Frontier Fleet always seems to be strapped for ships and what they have seems to be of much older and refurbished classes. I don't think Crandal's attack force used any Frontier Fleet ships and she had a good number of smaller class ships.

I just don't see the Frontier Fleet coming up with the number of ships needed for the commerce raiding that the new SLN "High Admiral" is talking about. And it didn't seem like he was talking about taking the time to build a bunch of new ships for how soon he wanted to begin the task. Thought he was talking about building a bunch of smaller classes rather than SD's, (he could turn them out much faster) at least until the technology gap is closed. But he is still going to need that bunch of smaller class ships that are almost immediately available and they have to come from somewhere. Where did all those BC's come from that were delivered to Monica?

I think that there are a lot of smaller ships in the reserve.

A small number light units compared to the number of SDs in the reserve could still be a good size number ships.
Post by kzt   » Mon Jun 20, 2016 11:04 pm

kzt
Fleet Admiral

StealthSeeker wrote:The Frontier Fleet always seems to be strapped for ships and what they have seems to be of much older and refurbished classes. I don't think Crandal's attack force used any Frontier Fleet ships and she had a good number of smaller class ships.

The RMN was also strapped for ships in 1904. They have several thousand worlds vs the few dozen that the RMN had to worry about. How many BC, CA,Cl, and DD did the RMN have in 1904?

The SLN could literally 100 times more ships than the RMN did and still be over extended due the vastly larger distances that have to deal with.
Post by StealthSeeker   » Tue Jun 21, 2016 1:09 am

StealthSeeker
Commander

kzt wrote:The RMN was also strapped for ships in 1904. They have several thousand worlds vs the few dozen that the RMN had to worry about. How many BC, CA,Cl, and DD did the RMN have in 1904?

The SLN could literally 100 times more ships than the RMN did and still be over extended due the vastly larger distances that have to deal with.

I agree that the SLN and FF have numerically more ships but they are indeed spread out very thinly. In this case a numerically and technically superior guerilla attack force making strategic tactical strikes could take down a dispersed force in detail. Making it even harder for the SLN to concentrate enough ships in a single location for effective use. Take them apart piece by piece before they can organize an effective defence.

I propose taking out sector HQ's where the largest concentration of ships is likely to be. If a sector has 12 ships and I take out half of them in one HQ strike, that sector is crippled. If I do that with a great number of sectors, I can go hunting for ones and twos of enemy ships later and they will be near defenceless to my small task forces. The FF would never be able to collect into an effective fighting force.

If that is combined with major strike forces taking out 4 or more primary SLN hubs in the core, the SLN could rapidly be made ineffective and powerless.
-
-
Post by kzt   » Tue Jun 21, 2016 3:13 am

kzt
Fleet Admiral

StealthSeeker wrote:I agree that the SLN and FF have numerically more ships but they are indeed spread out very thinly. In this case a numerically and technically superior guerilla attack force making strategic tactical strikes could take down a dispersed force in detail. Making it even harder for the SLN to concentrate enough ships in a single location for effective use. Take them apart piece by piece before they can organize an effective defence.

Let me restate this.
In 1905 the RMN had
199 BC
333 CA
195 CL
485 DD

And they were still always short of ships for Silesia etc.

Assume that the SL has
19,900 BC
33,333 CA
19,500 CL
48,500 DD

Which is the 100X number I used above.

Do you think they might be able to cause some issues wandering around Manticoran space if they decide that is the mission and to hell with all the other stuff they normally do?

Why or why not?
Post by StealthSeeker   » Tue Jun 21, 2016 4:57 am

StealthSeeker
Commander

kzt wrote:
StealthSeeker wrote:I agree that the SLN and FF have numerically more ships but they are indeed spread out very thinly. In this case a numerically and technically superior guerilla attack force making strategic tactical strikes could take down a dispersed force in detail. Making it even harder for the SLN to concentrate enough ships in a single location for effective use. Take them apart piece by piece before they can organize an effective defence.

Let me restate this.
In 1905 the RMN had
199 BC
333 CA
195 CL
485 DD

Assume that the SL has
19,900 BC
33,333 CA
19,500 CL
48,500 DD

Do you think they might be able to cause some issues wandering around Manticoran space if they decide that is the mission and to hell with all the other stuff they normally do?

Why or why not?

Well if they have 100x the ships and 1000x the space to protect they'll have one tenth the number of ships to concentrate in a particular area. (like my funny math?)

If I remember correctly, it was stated at some point that Filareta's task force of hundreds of ships was only something like the 4th time in the SL history that the SL had managed to put that many ships together and it took them forever and a day to do it. And they got themselves blown to little bitty pieces. I suppose it is possible that if they collected enough ships, thousands of them, from all over the SL, they could overwhelm the Manticore defence. But they had a hard time collecting Fiareta's ships and he was much nearer a location of more concentrated existence of ships.

At the rate at which they could redeploy ships, the GA might be able to destroy them faster than they can gather. The mandarins are struggling to get a force together to pay a visit to Beowulf to "secure" the system.

So no, I don't think they can pull enough ships from their widely dispersed locations and move them to the verge and do it effectively. Not in the turmoil that the GA would be bringing down around their ears. Occupied wormholes and all that. Especially if sectors are to scared to let all their ships go and become defenceless in all the turmoil.

Not going to happen, especially if I take out the SLN admin facilities in Mars orbit. That would be a serious part of their command and control.
-
-
Post by George J. Smith   » Tue Jun 21, 2016 5:48 am

George J. Smith
Commodore

StealthSeeker wrote:
kzt wrote:quote="StealthSeeker"
I agree that the SLN and FF have numerically more ships but they are indeed spread out very thinly. In this case a numerically and technically superior guerilla attack force making strategic tactical strikes could take down a dispersed force in detail. Making it even harder for the SLN to concentrate enough ships in a single location for effective use. Take them apart piece by piece before they can organize an effective defence.
Let me restate this.
In 1905 the RMN had
199 BC
333 CA
195 CL
485 DD

Assume that the SL has
19,900 BC
33,333 CA
19,500 CL
48,500 DD

Why or why not?

Well if they have 100x the ships and 1000x the space to protect they'll have one tenth the number of ships to concentrate in a particular area. (like my funny math?)

If I remember correctly, it was stated at some point that Filareta's task force of hundreds of ships was only something like the 4th time in the SL history that the SL had managed to put that many ships together and it took them forever and a day to do it. And they got themselves blown to little bitty pieces. I suppose it is possible that if they collected enough ships, thousands of them, from all over the SL, they could overwhelm the Manticore defence. But they had a hard time collecting Fiareta's ships and he was much nearer a location of more concentrated existence of ships.

At the rate at which they could redeploy ships, the GA might be able to destroy them faster than they can gather. The mandarins are struggling to get a force together to pay a visit to Beowulf to "secure" the system.

So no, I don't think they can pull enough ships from their widely dispersed locations and move them to the verge and do it effectively. Not in the turmoil that the GA would be bringing down around their ears. Occupied wormholes and all that. Especially if sectors are to scared to let all their ships go and become defenceless in all the turmoil.

Not going to happen, especially if I take out the SLN admin facilities in Mars orbit. That would be a serious part of their command and control.

They already have a fleet of 500+ ships which was intended to be the 2nd wave after Filaletre's fleet, (even though they didn't think it would be required) that plus the task force which was trying to use the Beowulf terminus to support Filaletre might be the force that goes to Beowulf to stop the Beowulfers from leaving the league.
T&R
GJS

A man should live forever, or die in the attempt
Spider Robinson Callahan's Crosstime Saloon (1977) A voice is heard in Ramah
Post by StealthSeeker   » Tue Jun 21, 2016 11:52 am

StealthSeeker
Commander

George J. Smith wrote:
They already have a fleet of 500+ ships which was intended to be the 2nd wave after Filaletre's fleet, (even though they didn't think it would be required) that plus the task force which was trying to use the Beowulf terminus to support Filaletre might be the force that goes to Beowulf to stop the Beowulfers from leaving the league.

I don't remember any "additional" units that were going to follow Filareta on his attack of Manticore. Only the 80 some that were to cross from Beowulf through the wormhole. The only discussion I can find of units joining Filareta is back in MoH where Rajampet is talking about building up Filareta's fleet to about 400 SD's. But even if those 500 ships did exist, they are currently way out in the verge and it would be difficult to get a message to them and have them travel back with in the 2 month window necessary to prevent the Beowulf vote.

But that is all about attacking Beowulf. The discussion here is about attacking Earth after a catastrophic attack on Beowulf has already occurred. How would the GA go about attacking earth and the SLN. What obstacles and problems would be encountered in attacking Earth and so on.
-
-

Return to Honorverse