Topic Actions

Topic Search

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 103 guests

Can you "Overload" a Laserwarhead?

Join us in talking discussing all things Honor, including (but not limited to) tactics, favorite characters, and book discussions.
Re: Can you "Overload" a Laserwarhead?
Post by darrell   » Fri May 20, 2016 2:44 pm

darrell
Rear Admiral

Jonathan_S wrote:
Theemile wrote:No… it wouldn’t.

One of the first emisisons of the nuclear event (but not the first) is a neutron wave, and water is a neutron absorber – or more importantly – the hydrogen in it is. The neutron absorption has the effect of turning said hydrogen into deuterium and tritium. (And all water contains a small fraction of deuterium and tritium in its natural state.

The heavy Hydrogen isotopes add to a nuclear explosion when injected into an atomic pit and the pressures created in the pit cause them to fuse. Depending on the amount injected and timing – this either enhances the atomic explosion by the injection of more spare neutrons into the fissile mass (Uranium or Plutonium) increasing the reaction, or creates a second, fusion explosion when the force of the (nearby) fission explosion compresses the deuterium and tritium.

The Deuterium and Tritium in the water is outside the nuclear events and will never achieve the temperatures and pressures necessary to fuse. AS I said upthread, timing and position in a nuclear device are, and have to be, insanely accurate.

You seem to be talking about a boosted fission design where some fusion fuel is injected into the pit of the fission bomb. But that's still the primary for a thermonuclear bomb. The design that, as far as I know, all current thermonuclear bombs uses is the Teller–Ulam configuration where there's a secondary, with the fusion fuel sitting off to the side of the primary boosted fission core. See https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Thermonuclear_weapon

The radiation from the explosion of the primary interacts with the material wrapped around the secondary's fusion fuel to initiate the larger secondary fusion explosion.

That same radiation would be slamming into the surrounding water; however I think without the special wrapping material it won't undergo the conversion necessary to trigger any appreciable amount of extra fusion.

So ultimately I think you're right, detonating a fusion bomb underwater isn't going to get any noticeable extra fusion. But it's not because the water isn't inside the primary core; it's because it's not wrapped in the materials necessary for the secondary stage's fusion material to get ignited by the radiation wave from the primary core's detonation.

There is also the factor of distance. The fusion reaction must be very close to the fission bomb. And by very close you are talking about on the order of feet. It is how you get "dial a yield" on the warheads of both the Lance and Pershing missiles, and presumably on other nuclear warheads. In the army my MOS was 15E, Pershing missile crewmen. For practical purposes, insert and turn a key and you can select the actual yield. Although the actual yield is classified, I can tell you that there is a big difference between the minimum and maximum settings.
<><><><><><><><><><><><>
Logic: an organized way to go wrong, with confidence.
Post by Loren Pechtel   » Fri May 20, 2016 4:58 pm

Loren Pechtel
Rear Admiral

Jonathan_S wrote:So ultimately I think you're right, detonating a fusion bomb underwater isn't going to get any noticeable extra fusion. But it's not because the water isn't inside the primary core; it's because it's not wrapped in the materials necessary for the secondary stage's fusion material to get ignited by the radiation wave from the primary core's detonation.

Ordinary hydrogen isn't going to yield meaningful energy at the temperatures/pressures of an h-bomb. That's why an underwater detonation doesn't produce a bigger bang.

We do know that fissionable material wrapped around the bomb increases the yield even though the material can't sustain a reaction--the neutron flux from the bomb splits it.

The issue here is whether the stuff coming off the detonation will likewise yield energy when it slams into deuterium. There no question the outer material could not sustain a reaction but there are going to be an awful lot of high energy particles coming off. Helium will have no effect but there will be unused deuterium and tritium--I would think you would get fusion when that slams into more deuterium.
Post by Bill Woods   » Fri May 20, 2016 9:06 pm

Bill Woods
Captain of the List

Jonathan_S wrote: Real world, yes. But I'd point out that Honorverse grav tech breaks many laws of physics. A hand pulser can shoot out a stream of darts each with the rough kinetic energy of a .50 caliber rifle round, yes somehow the recoil is low enough to be easily control one-handed!!
The grav field acting on the pulser darts appears to violate Newton's third law by not transferring the force of accelerating the dart back to the pistol.
Or else the darts are really small. As-you-know-Bob, kinetic energy is one thing, while recoil (momentum) is another. Cut the projectile mass and increase its speed, both by a factor of 10, and the recoil remains the same. But the KE goes up by a factor of 10.
----
Imagined conversation:
Admiral [noting yet another Manty tech surprise]:
XO, what's the budget for the ONI?
Vice Admiral: I don't recall exactly, sir. Several billion quatloos.
Admiral: ... What do you suppose they did with all that money?
Post by darrell   » Sat May 21, 2016 12:26 am

darrell
Rear Admiral

Bill Woods wrote:
Jonathan_S wrote: Real world, yes. But I'd point out that Honorverse grav tech breaks many laws of physics. A hand pulser can shoot out a stream of darts each with the rough kinetic energy of a .50 caliber rifle round, yes somehow the recoil is low enough to be easily control one-handed!!
The grav field acting on the pulser darts appears to violate Newton's third law by not transferring the force of accelerating the dart back to the pistol.
Or else the darts are really small. As-you-know-Bob, kinetic energy is one thing, while recoil (momentum) is another. Cut the projectile mass and increase its speed, both by a factor of 10, and the recoil remains the same. But the KE goes up by a factor of 10.

The 44 magnum remington 240 grain bullet has 741 ft·lbf engergy. In a Smith & Wesson .44 Magnum with 7.5-inch barrel, with an empty weight of 3.125 lb Recoil impulse of 1.91 lbf·s or 1/350th of the bullet energy.

There are a lot of variables to be able to figure the actual recoil, and I notice that the books don't go into that. As near as I can figure, the actual mass of the 4MM pulser dart is about the mass of a .38 caliber pistol, which, depending on the actual mass, should give a pulsar the recoil of a .44 magnum, a pulse rifle that of a 30 caliber rifle. A 3MM civilian pulsar should have about half that recoil, about that of a .45 ACP.

EDIT: Just realized. Because there is no escaping gas it would mean that the actual recoil would a lot less, but how much less I don't have the formulas to be able to figure out.
Last edited by darrell on Sat May 21, 2016 5:30 am, edited 1 time in total.
<><><><><><><><><><><><>
Logic: an organized way to go wrong, with confidence.
Post by Daryl   » Sat May 21, 2016 1:40 am

Daryl
Fleet Admiral

On the fusion of hydrogen in water topic, at the time of the detonation of the first bomb all aspects of the physics hadn't been fully sorted.
The scientists estimated that there was (from memory) a one in 10,000 chance of the blast causing a chain reaction in Earth's oceans. They (and we) took the chance.
Post by Theemile   » Sat May 21, 2016 3:09 pm

Theemile
Fleet Admiral

Daryl wrote:On the fusion of hydrogen in water topic, at the time of the detonation of the first bomb all aspects of the physics hadn't been fully sorted.
The scientists estimated that there was (from memory) a one in 10,000 chance of the blast causing a chain reaction in Earth's oceans. They (and we) took the chance.

It was a 1 in 200 chance we would start a chain reaction that would boil off the planet's armosophere iirc.
RFC said "refitting a Beowulfan SD to Manticoran standards would be just as difficult as refitting a standard SLN SD to those standards. In other words, it would be cheaper and faster to build new ships."

Return to Honorverse