Topic Actions

Topic Search

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 168 guests

Fleet Tankers Or Oilers ...

Join us in talking discussing all things Honor, including (but not limited to) tactics, favorite characters, and book discussions.
Re: Fleet Tankers Or Oilers ...
Post by MaxxQ   » Wed May 11, 2016 9:22 am

MaxxQ
BuNine

jchilds wrote:
Imaginos1892 wrote:Capture a herd of space hamsters?
--------------------
Oh, no. You can't-a fool me. There ain't-a no Sanity Clause!

Regular or Miniature Giant Space Hamsters?

Baldur's Gate fan, I see. :mrgreen:
Post by Duckk   » Wed May 11, 2016 9:29 am

Duckk
Site Admin

Go for the eyes, Boo! GO FOR THE EYES!
-------------------------
Shields at 50%, taunting at 100%! - Tom Pope
Post by HungryKing   » Wed May 11, 2016 9:48 am

HungryKing
Captain (Junior Grade)

With regards to the LAC fission questions, there is another factor. All honorverse warships use stored power for many things. When the Peeps are talking about the LACs it was noted that even SDs use their main capacitors for wedge initiation: and that LACs, ton for ton, have the most capacitor of any warship. The modern LACs are actually running on 'battery power' during their attack runs. Space and mass usually given to the fusion reactor has been turned into more capacitor. The fission plant only needs to be able to barely exceed normal power draw levels. As for bunkerage levels three months for a Manty BC was noted as an extended time.
Post by Louis R   » Wed May 11, 2016 3:13 pm

Louis R
Rear Admiral

I did run the calculation once, just for the fun of it. Don't have the numbers handy, but at 60Hz, the skin is many, many cm deep. Deeper than the cross-section of any reasonably buildable bus-bar. Even if the builders are Lensmen.

Relax wrote:< snip >

PS. To someones bus bar size upthread comment, due to skin effect your calc is not correct for AC(unless it was a massive glitz wire connection), but may be true for DC(No I did not run the calc) Besides neither is true either as this high of voltage creates a spark gap problem requiring feet of distance in air. On a starship, they may run lower O2 atmosphere, or place the interconnects in complete vacuum.

Return to Honorverse