Topic Actions

Topic Search

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 58 guests

The best fiction tells the truth, carefully edited..

Join us in talking discussing all things Honor, including (but not limited to) tactics, favorite characters, and book discussions.
Re: The best fiction tells the truth, carefully edited..
Post by Dafmeister   » Tue May 17, 2016 7:40 am

Dafmeister
Commodore

Rincewind wrote:
saber964 wrote:FYI the League Assembly is more like the United Nations General Assembly than any national legislative branch of government.

Actually, to my way of thinking the League Assembly is more like the European Parliament, & the SL bureaucracy is more like the European Council. Certainly true power in the EU is vested in the unelected Council whereas in the United Nations there is a separate Council, the Security Council, that does have more real power.

Perhaps I think that because of my experience with the EU & especially with the Referendum on EU membership coming up here in the UK.

I think you're confusing the European Council with the European Commission. The Commission is the EU's civil service bureaucracy. The European Council is a body made up the heads of state of the member nations, plus representatives of certain EU bodies.
Post by cthia   » Tue May 17, 2016 7:49 am

cthia
Fleet Admiral

The best Sci-Fi authors have crystal balls fueled by foresight.

Son, your mother says I have to hang you. Personally I don't think this is a capital offense. But if I don't hang you, she's gonna hang me and frankly, I'm not the one in trouble. —cthia's father. Incident in ? Axiom of Common Sense
Post by C. O. Thompson   » Tue May 17, 2016 4:11 pm

C. O. Thompson
Captain of the List

cthia wrote:The best Sci-Fi authors have crystal balls fueled by foresight.

Some of the second tier Sci-Fi writers have brass balls fueled by rum :?
Just my 2 ₡ worth
Post by saber964   » Tue May 17, 2016 5:45 pm

saber964
Admiral

Yesterday's Science Fiction is today's technology.

Also

One man's mumbo jumbo, is another man's science and thirds religion.
Post by darrell   » Tue May 17, 2016 6:16 pm

darrell
Rear Admiral

saber964 wrote:

Yesterday's Science Fiction is today's technology.

Also

One man's mumbo jumbo, is another man's science and thirds religion.

As a prime example, from wikipedia:

Rocket Ship Galileo is a science fiction novel by Robert A. Heinlein, published in 1947, about three teenagers who participate in a pioneering flight to the Moon. It was the first in the Heinlein juveniles, a long and successful series of science fiction novels published by Scribner's. The novel was originally envisioned as the first of a series of books called "Young Rocket Engineers". It was initially rejected by publishers, because going to the moon was "too far out"
<><><><><><><><><><><><>
Logic: an organized way to go wrong, with confidence.
Post by Rincewind   » Fri May 20, 2016 6:44 pm

Rincewind
Captain (Junior Grade)

Dafmeister wrote:
I think you're confusing the European Council with the European Commission. The Commission is the EU's civil service bureaucracy. The European Council is a body made up the heads of state of the member nations, plus representatives of certain EU bodies.

My bad. You are right; I had confused the two although it shows how easy it is to confuse them.

I still stand by my comparison of the Solarian League to the EU though.
Post by drinksmuchcoffee   » Fri May 20, 2016 7:23 pm

drinksmuchcoffee
Lieutenant Commander

saber964 wrote:Yesterday's Science Fiction is today's technology.

Yes, I remember how I shot a mad dog with my laser pistol while returning home in my aircar. I was coming back from the spaceport after a tour of our Lunar and Martian colonies.

Yet at the same time, the computers and "AI"s of nearly all science fiction more than 20 years old seem hopelessly obsolete by today's standards.

Technology and science do not always advance in predictable or expected ways.
Post by Vince   » Fri May 20, 2016 7:43 pm

Vince
Vice Admiral

drinksmuchcoffee wrote:
saber964 wrote:Yesterday's Science Fiction is today's technology.

Yes, I remember how I shot a mad dog with my laser pistol while returning home in my aircar. I was coming back from the spaceport after a tour of our Lunar and Martian colonies.

Yet at the same time, the computers and "AI"s of nearly all science fiction more than 20 years old seem hopelessly obsolete by today's standards.

Prediction is very difficult, especially about the future. -- Attributed to various persons.
-------------------------------------------------------------
History does not repeat itself so much as it echoes.
Post by kzt   » Fri May 20, 2016 10:53 pm

kzt
Fleet Admiral

Vince wrote:Technology and science do not always advance in predictable or expected ways.

Prediction is very difficult, especially about the future. -- Attributed to various persons.[/quote]
You need to keep in mind Abraham Lincoln's valuable warning about believing quotes on the Internet.
Post by Vince   » Fri May 20, 2016 11:22 pm

Vince
Vice Admiral

kzt wrote:
Vince wrote:Technology and science do not always advance in predictable or expected ways.

Prediction is very difficult, especially about the future. -- Attributed to various persons.

You need to keep in mind Abraham Lincoln's valuable warning about believing quotes on the Internet.[/quote]

Yes, definitely. I remembered the quote, but didn't know who said it. When I searched on the web, there were several persons who supposedly said it, and I couldn't determine who said it first. So I didn't specify a name of someone who might have said it first, but who also might have been quoting someone else.

Also, this section in your reply:
was not posted by me. It was actually posted by drinksmuchcoffee.

What I actually posted was this section:

Thus proving your assertion that:
kzt wrote:You need to keep in mind Abraham Lincoln's valuable warning about believing quotes on the Internet.
-------------------------------------------------------------
History does not repeat itself so much as it echoes.

Return to Honorverse