Topic Actions

Topic Search

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 41 guests

The best fiction tells the truth, carefully edited..

Join us in talking discussing all things Honor, including (but not limited to) tactics, favorite characters, and book discussions.
Re: The best fiction tells the truth, carefully edited..
Post by C. O. Thompson   » Wed May 11, 2016 9:59 am

C. O. Thompson
Captain of the List

phillies wrote:"Not even equal representation in the Senate is impossible to change under those conditions."

There is a substantial legal argument -- you need a vote that matches the rule being changed -- that changing that requirement uniquely requires unanimous agreement of the 50 states.

Not too many years ago a president was set that said the senate had to pas a measure with 66% vote (this is enough to over-ride a veto) but is this is not the Constitutional requirement.
The Mandarins live with the mindset that the way things work are not what their Constitution said would be the case... so even if/when we have a legal requirement to act a certain way, no one really does. It is a bit like when you are driving on the highway at the speed limit and a cop flies by so fast that you feel like you are going backwards... who is going to bell the cat?
Just my 2 ₡ worth
Post by Louis R   » Wed May 11, 2016 3:01 pm

Louis R
Rear Admiral

I'm not sure how it escaped your attention, but probably 90% of America's sitting politicians do _not_ sit in Washington. Which means that if you get 2/3 of the total you should easily reach 2/3 of state legislators. I will admit that that 2/3 assumes equal or near-equal distribution, but if you really had that many, it would come pretty close - number of politicians doesn't actually track population as closely as number of auto mechanics or dentists does. So 2/3 of all politicians would translate to a super-majority in most if not all state legislatures. And how many actually require more than a simple majority for amendments to the _federal_ constitution? I know many do have more complex mechanisms for amending the state constitution, but who applies them to the US document? With an adequate majority in congress and enough legislatures, any amendment will go through.

Changing equal representation is slightly trickier, since by my reading all 50 states would have to ratify that, or they could be deemed not to have consented. But 2/3 over all almost guarantees a simple majority in every state, so as long as that is sufficient... Interestingly, changing the number of senators per state would not require unanimity as long as every state got the same number.

Louis R wrote:Just to make it absolutely clear, herewith the text of Article Five:

Article 5 wrote:The Congress, whenever two thirds of both houses shall deem it necessary, shall propose amendments to this Constitution, or, on the application of the legislatures of two thirds of the several states, shall call a convention for proposing amendments, which, in either case, shall be valid to all intents and purposes, as part of this Constitution, when ratified by the legislatures of three fourths of the several states, or by conventions in three fourths thereof, as the one or the other mode of ratification may be proposed by the Congress; provided that no amendment which may be made prior to the year one thousand eight hundred and eight shall in any manner affect the first and fourth clauses in the ninth section of the first article; and that no state, without its consent, shall be deprived of its equal suffrage in the Senate.

As you can see, not only can state legislatures not directly propose amendments, the population has no direct say in the process at _any_ point. Get 2/3 of America's sitting politicians on board and anything goes. Literally. Not even equal representation in the Senate is impossible to change under those conditions.
Vince wrote:No for the 2/3 requirement of anything goes. Especially in the case of equal representation in the Senate. Why? Because you overlooked the additional 3/4 requirement of all state legislatures or state ratification conventions to vote in favor of a proposed amendment in order to ratify an amendment and make it part of the Constitution.

It takes 38* of 50 states to ratify an amendment. An amendment can be blocked by only 13* of 50 states.

There is only the Honorverse's proverbial chance of a snowflake in Hell that enough state legislatures will vote to ratify an amendment that would remove equal representation by state in the Senate.

Currently, 7 states have only 1 Representative in the House**, 5 have 2 Representatives, 3 states have 3 Representatives, and 6 states have 4 Representatives. The average number of representatives per state is 8.7***, not rounded off. Just the number of states with 1 or 2 Representatives is 12*. It only takes one more state* to block an amendment that would disadvantage the smaller (in terms of population) states. The smaller states will never be in favor of a change that will reduce their power directly not only in the Legislative branch (the Senate) of the government, but the Executive branch (the Presidency****) as well.

* These numbers will change as the total number of states change.

** Representation in the US House of Representatives is determined by (formula) a states population relative to the total population of the states (not the nation, citizens of the US who are residents of a territory, as opposed to a state, do not count in this formula), which never gives a state never less than one Representative.

*** 435 representatives / 50 states.

**** The total number of votes each state has in the Electoral College (which actually directly votes for the President) is the total number of Representative and Senatorial seats allocated to the state.
Post by Howard T. Map-addict   » Wed May 11, 2016 4:01 pm

Howard T. Map-addict
Rear Admiral

Yes, I have done this.

Don't believe that there were only three or four changes
in the Confederate States of America constitution.
I counted more than a hundred.
The largest number were updates to the grammar - the rewriters
had a severe case of Editoritis.

All twelve then-existing Amendments were added to the body
of the Constitution.

One interesting change was that the President's dismissal
powers were defined, and sometimes limited. Cabinet members
and other senior-most officials were specified to serve at
his pleasure, and could be fired at whim, for any cause or
for no cause. Any junior member of any Department could only
be fired for one of six specified causes, and the President
was required to tell the Senate which one applied.
The Six Clauses were general reasons, not specific one.
I remember that they included malfeasance, nonfeasance,
and (a favorite here) the position being eliminated.

ISTR something about taxes or tariffs.

Of course there were several changes regarding slavery.
The drafters were *for* it, and protected it.

HTM

DDHv wrote:{snip - htm}
It is interesting to compare the Confederate constitution
with the US constitution
:|
Post by kzt   » Wed May 11, 2016 6:57 pm

kzt
Fleet Admiral

And by the time the war was over the "states rights" confederacy had pretty much ignored much of their actual written constitution to keep the war going. Which is pretty much what I expect the SL would in reality do if this wasn't a book where the ending is already known.
Post by boballab   » Wed May 11, 2016 9:52 pm

boballab
Captain of the List

kzt wrote:And by the time the war was over the "states rights" confederacy had pretty much ignored much of their actual written constitution to keep the war going. Which is pretty much what I expect the SL would in reality do if this wasn't a book where the ending is already known.

It can be argued that the SL has already done that in the books with the sending of Filareta to Manticore without a declaration of war passing the assembly. It will have done it when they try and strip the ability to secede from the constitution with what they are planing on doing to Beowulf.

"I'd like to think that someone in the Navy somewhere has at least the IQ of a gerbil!" Rear Admiral Rozsak on the officers in the SLN
Post by DDHv   » Wed May 11, 2016 10:13 pm

DDHv
Captain of the List

boballab wrote:
kzt wrote:And by the time the war was over the "states rights" confederacy had pretty much ignored much of their actual written constitution to keep the war going. Which is pretty much what I expect the SL would in reality do if this wasn't a book where the ending is already known.

It can be argued that the SL has already done that in the books with the sending of Filareta to Manticore without a declaration of war passing the assembly. It will have done it when they try and strip the ability to secede from the constitution with what they are planing on doing to Beowulf.

Fiction or reality, many politicians seem to concentrate on ignorance
:evil:
Douglas Hvistendahl
Retired technical nerd

Dumb mistakes are very irritating.
Smart mistakes go on forever
Unless you test your assumptions!
Post by kzt   » Wed May 11, 2016 10:52 pm

kzt
Fleet Admiral

boballab wrote:It can be argued that the SL has already done that in the books with the sending of Filareta to Manticore without a declaration of war passing the assembly. It will have done it when they try and strip the ability to secede from the constitution with what they are planing on doing to Beowulf.

I expect they will get very creative about ways to fund the war. And people who object will get the opportunity to discuss it in court. In a few years after being held incommunicado in "protective custody". See the ways Woodrow Wilson "discouraged discussion" about his march to go to war for Wall Street and DuPont.
Post by C. O. Thompson   » Thu May 12, 2016 9:25 am

C. O. Thompson
Captain of the List

Louis R wrote:I'm not sure how it escaped your attention, but probably 90% of America's sitting politicians do _not_ sit in Washington. Which means that if you get 2/3 of the total you should easily reach 2/3 of state legislators. I will admit that that 2/3 assumes equal or near-equal distribution, but if you really had that many, it would come pretty close - number of politicians doesn't actually track population as closely as number of auto mechanics or dentists does. So 2/3 of all politicians would translate to a super-majority in most if not all state legislatures. And how many actually require more than a simple majority for amendments to the _federal_ constitution? I know many do have more complex mechanisms for amending the state constitution, but who applies them to the US document? With an adequate majority in congress and enough legislatures, any amendment will go through.

Changing equal representation is slightly trickier, since by my reading all 50 states would have to ratify that, or they could be deemed not to have consented. But 2/3 over all almost guarantees a simple majority in every state, so as long as that is sufficient... Interestingly, changing the number of senators per state would not require unanimity as long as every state got the same number.

Just to make it absolutely clear, herewith the text of Article Five:

"Article 5"]The Congress, whenever two thirds of both houses shall deem it necessary, shall propose amendments to this Constitution, or, on the application of the legislatures of two thirds of the several states, shall call a convention for proposing amendments, which, in either case, shall be valid to all intents and purposes, as part of this Constitution, when ratified by the legislatures of three fourths of the several states, or by conventions in three fourths thereof, as the one or the other mode of ratification may be proposed by the Congress; provided that no amendment which may be made prior to the year one thousand eight hundred and eight shall in any manner affect the first and fourth clauses in the ninth section of the first article; and that no state, without its consent, shall be deprived of its equal suffrage in the Senate.

As you can see, not only can state legislatures not directly propose amendments, the population has no direct say in the process at _any_ point. Get 2/3 of America's sitting politicians on board and anything goes. Literally. Not even equal representation in the Senate is impossible to change under those conditions.[/quote]
Vince wrote:No for the 2/3 requirement of anything goes. Especially in the case of equal representation in the Senate. Why? Because you overlooked the additional 3/4 requirement of all state legislatures or state ratification conventions to vote in favor of a proposed amendment in order to ratify an amendment and make it part of the Constitution.

It takes 38* of 50 states to ratify an amendment. An amendment can be blocked by only 13* of 50 states.

There is only the Honorverse's proverbial chance of a snowflake in Hell that enough state legislatures will vote to ratify an amendment that would remove equal representation by state in the Senate.

Currently, 7 states have only 1 Representative in the House**, 5 have 2 Representatives, 3 states have 3 Representatives, and 6 states have 4 Representatives. The average number of representatives per state is 8.7***, not rounded off. Just the number of states with 1 or 2 Representatives is 12*. It only takes one more state* to block an amendment that would disadvantage the smaller (in terms of population) states. The smaller states will never be in favor of a change that will reduce their power directly not only in the Legislative branch (the Senate) of the government, but the Executive branch (the Presidency****) as well.

* These numbers will change as the total number of states change.

** Representation in the US House of Representatives is determined by (formula) a states population relative to the total population of the states (not the nation, citizens of the US who are residents of a territory, as opposed to a state, do not count in this formula), which never gives a state never less than one Representative.

*** 435 representatives / 50 states.

**** The total number of votes each state has in the Electoral College (which actually directly votes for the President) is the total number of Representative and Senatorial seats allocated to the state.

Louis,

Not so much as this escaped my attention as that it seems almost irrelevant in that the federal can override the local decisions.
This is much as David depicts things with the SL in that, even when one star nation vetoes a measure the navy still goes in and tries to do what it wants to do.
Fiction must be plausible... but when fact becomes more inconceivable that does not make it less factual.

A question that nags at my subconscious mind is... can we learn enough by study of the fictitious events to prevent disaster in the real world?? Is it possible that the stories we read are enough of a parable to teach us what we need to know?
Just my 2 ₡ worth
Post by C. O. Thompson   » Thu May 12, 2016 9:37 am

C. O. Thompson
Captain of the List

kzt wrote:
boballab wrote:It can be argued that the SL has already done that in the books with the sending of Filareta to Manticore without a declaration of war passing the assembly. It will have done it when they try and strip the ability to secede from the constitution with what they are planing on doing to Beowulf.

I expect they will get very creative about ways to fund the war. And people who object will get the opportunity to discuss it in court. In a few years after being held incommunicado in "protective custody". See the ways Woodrow Wilson "discouraged discussion" about his march to go to war for Wall Street and DuPont.

Or GW Bush "discouraged discussion" for his wars... or John Kerry had a student tased when he asked the wrong question???
Follow the bleeping money!
Not that I know how to correct things...
“I know no safe depository of the ultimate powers of the society but the people themselves ; and if we think them not enlightened enough to exercise their control with a wholesome discretion, the remedy is not to take it from them, but to inform their discretion by education. This is the true corrective of abuses of constitutional power.”
― Thomas Jefferson, Letters of Thomas Jefferson

Funny thing is... I went looking for the above and found the following which resonated, with me, more strongly as the root of our current crisis (but pay no attention to the man behind the curtain...
“I sincerely believe that banking establishments are more dangerous than standing armies, and that the principle of spending money to be paid by posterity, under the name of funding, is but swindling futurity on a large scale.”
― Thomas Jefferson
Just my 2 ₡ worth
Post by Rincewind   » Sun May 15, 2016 6:37 pm

Rincewind
Captain (Junior Grade)

saber964 wrote:FYI the League Assembly is more like the United Nations General Assembly than any national legislative branch of government.

Actually, to my way of thinking the League Assembly is more like the European Parliament, & the SL bureaucracy is more like the European Council. Certainly true power in the EU is vested in the unelected Council whereas in the United Nations there is a separate Council, the Security Council, that does have more real power.

Perhaps I think that because of my experience with the EU & especially with the Referendum on EU membership coming up here in the UK.

Return to Honorverse