Topic Actions

Topic Search

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 131 guests

Congratulations! The war is over! Now what?

Join us in talking discussing all things Honor, including (but not limited to) tactics, favorite characters, and book discussions.
Re: Congratulations! The war is over! Now what?
Post by Sigs   » Thu Apr 28, 2016 7:32 pm

Sigs
Rear Admiral

simality wrote:

Like the Andermani?

Amongst many, the Andermani might be some of them but there will be some with SDF's which can form a core for a real fleet. Then there are others who will get a bigger piece of the pie(survivors of the SLN) and thus will be able to conquer or invite their neighbours to join them.

Some sectors might even survive more or less intact especially if they have good and competent leadership. And then there might be some political units that may receive GA assistance in training and building a fleet as the GA would in my opinion prefer at least some stable nations post war.
Post by DDHv   » Fri Apr 29, 2016 10:58 am

DDHv
Captain of the List

Sigs wrote:
simality wrote:

Like the Andermani?

Amongst many, the Andermani might be some of them but there will be some with SDF's which can form a core for a real fleet. Then there are others who will get a bigger piece of the pie(survivors of the SLN) and thus will be able to conquer or invite their neighbours to join them.

Some sectors might even survive more or less intact especially if they have good and competent leadership. And then there might be some political units that may receive GA assistance in training and building a fleet as the GA would in my opinion prefer at least some stable nations post war.

Maya
:arrow:
Douglas Hvistendahl
Retired technical nerd

Dumb mistakes are very irritating.
Smart mistakes go on forever
Unless you test your assumptions!
Post by GofyTomcat1   » Sat Apr 30, 2016 12:33 am

GofyTomcat1
Commander

Stinker sits at home nuzzling his Honor and eating celery.

:P
Post by SharkHunter   » Sat Apr 30, 2016 8:45 am

SharkHunter
Vice Admiral

Just for kicks and giggles, Torch wins the MAlign/Genetic slavery side of the equation. So Congrats, the war is over!

Thandi and Victor are going stir crazy. Jeremy X is really really bored. Ganny El is running out of curse words. Not so worried about Anton because he's got Cathy M., Helen, and Berry to keep him happy and Lars to keep his eye roll muscles busy.

Now what?
---------------------
All my posts are YMMV, IMHO, and welcoming polite discussion, extension, and rebuttal. This is the HonorVerse, after all
Post by Dathi   » Sat Apr 30, 2016 12:01 pm

Dathi
Ensign

Once the Sollies and Mesan Alignment are taken care of, which will be a couple more books (at least), there really isn't a plausible HUMAN foe in sight.

Exploring space, and new wormholes and new wormhole physics suggests interesting possibilities. EVENTUALLY, the boundaries of human space are going expand further, and with a Grand Alliance kind of Interstellar compact covering large portions of known space, and available to act a policemen, the expansion is likely to be less hardscrabble, and more planned. IMO.

All this will (or might) eventually lead to an encounter with an Alien civilization half way across the Galaxy.

Just where IS Bolthole, anyway. I'll bet it's out of civilized space at the end of a wormhole.

-------
New physics:
Manticore has massively enhanced the ENGINEERING of gravitics; but Mesa has developed new theory. The Streak drive apparently requires some new physics, the Spider drive probably even more. The Torch/Darius wormhole is stated to be 'weird' enough that it can't be explained by current theory, IIRC. Which suggests new physics. (possibly the same new physics Mesa got).

All of that suggests very interesting future developments for human interaction in space. If Mesa has courier boats with Streak drive, what do you bet Manticore can engineer them down to fit into warships (first) and maybe even freighters eventually.

------
While I don't expect it to show up, the fact of the matter is that ever since 1905 it has been clearly established that FTL travel is equivalent to time travel (any FTL travel in your reference frame is time travel in a different, appropriately chosen, reference frame).

simality wrote:I've been reading this forum for about an hour now. The thread about War With the League is awesome. But somewhere between the posts about battle plans and naval buildup I got to wondering about what will happen when there is no more war to be fought.

The Star Kingdom/Empire has been fighting for its life almost nonstop for over twenty years. Unless there is some sort of Hiroshima/Nagasaki type event, the current war with the Sollies/Mesan Allignment will have to last at least two years and probably closer to five.

Being at war has become a way of life for Manticore. So I'm wondering will happen once the shooting stops and the peace treaties are signed? Can Manticore really go back to being just another Star Nation?
Post by Dauntless   » Sat Apr 30, 2016 2:46 pm

Dauntless
Rear Admiral

evil aliens have always been a possibility in honorvose, as shown by RFC's cheerful dodging of questions when the idea comes up at cons/interviews.

once they understand how there is no reason why a streak drive can't be fitted into a warship, the question will be given the size increase that has been speculated, what are you willing to give up to get that ability on your ship. could be that for the most part streak drives are used only on courier boats

except for odd ships like say the meat carriers that visit montanna and a few similar places I don't see shipping lines paying the extra cost. There is no physical reason that freighters are slow, that is an economic decision as faster ships need better and more expensive parts but in most cases the extra cost would not reap a significantly higher profit to make it worth while.
Post by Jonathan_S   » Sat Apr 30, 2016 5:46 pm

Jonathan_S
Fleet Admiral

Dauntless wrote:once they understand how there is no reason why a streak drive can't be fitted into a warship, the question will be given the size increase that has been speculated, what are you willing to give up to get that ability on your ship. could be that for the most part streak drives are used only on courier boats

except for odd ships like say the meat carriers that visit montanna and a few similar places I don't see shipping lines paying the extra cost. There is no physical reason that freighters are slow, that is an economic decision as faster ships need better and more expensive parts but in most cases the extra cost would not reap a significantly higher profit to make it worth while.

Yep, Mesa put them in courier boats because, at the moment, they need speedy information transfer. But there's no reason they can't be put into warships now, and for all we know the Sharks used to carry out Oyster Bay already had streak drives. Finding room for a double sized hypergenerator in a big warship isn't really a problem. (Retrofitting one into an existing heavy warship,will take some non-trivial yard time because you'll have to cut through the (presumably armored) bulkheads of the correct hypergenerator room the enlarge it, plus find spots to relocate any and all displaced equipment to. But still well within the kind of serious refit a major naval yard fairly routinely does multiple times during a warship's service life.

But I agree streak drives, even once declassified and released for civilian uses, aren't going to get put in many merchants. If they can't make the econimics the of the current military hyperdrives work they're unlikely to spend even more to go faster yet. The only real advance I might see for freighters is if the work done to break the [edit: Iota] wall has trickle down effects that let you build a civilian generator, with the same TCO as today's Delta bands cable ones, that can reach the Eta bands. Basically if they get a band or two higher "for free" with a new civilian generator then new freighters will just start coming with that.
Last edited by Jonathan_S on Sat Apr 30, 2016 11:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Post by cthia   » Sat Apr 30, 2016 5:57 pm

cthia
Fleet Admiral

Jonathan_S wrote:
Dauntless wrote:once they understand how there is no reason why a streak drive can't be fitted into a warship, the question will be given the size increase that has been speculated, what are you willing to give up to get that ability on your ship. could be that for the most part streak drives are used only on courier boats

Yep, Mesa put them in courier boats because, at the moment, they need speedy information transfer. But there's no reason they can't be put into warships now, and for all we know the Sharks used to carry out Oyster Bay already had streak drives. Finding room for a double sized hypergenerator in a big warship isn't really a problem. (Retrofitting one into an existing heavy warship,will take some non-trivial yard time because you'll have to cut through the (presumably armored) bulkheads of the correct hypergenerator room the enlarge it, plus find spots to relocate any and all displaced equipment to. But still well within the kind of serious refit a major naval yard fairly routinely does multiple times during a warship's service life.

But I agree streak drives, even once declassified and released for civilian uses, aren't going to get put in many merchants. If they can't make the econimics the of the current military hyperdrives work they're unlikely to spend even more to go faster yet. The only real advance I might see for freighters is if the work done to break the ETA wall has trickle down effects that let you build a civilian generator, with the same TCO as today's Delta bands cable ones, that can reach the Eta bands. Basically if they get a band or two higher "for free" with a new civilian generator then new freighters will just start coming with that.

Except privately available to corporate magnates like the Hauptmans and to Queens, Protectors and dictators. Especially Hauptman, who technically can build his own.

Son, your mother says I have to hang you. Personally I don't think this is a capital offense. But if I don't hang you, she's gonna hang me and frankly, I'm not the one in trouble. —cthia's father. Incident in ? Axiom of Common Sense
Post by Kytheros   » Sat Apr 30, 2016 6:29 pm

Kytheros
Rear Admiral

cthia wrote:
Jonathan_S wrote:Yep, Mesa put them in courier boats because, at the moment, they need speedy information transfer. But there's no reason they can't be put into warships now, and for all we know the Sharks used to carry out Oyster Bay already had streak drives. Finding room for a double sized hypergenerator in a big warship isn't really a problem. (Retrofitting one into an existing heavy warship,will take some non-trivial yard time because you'll have to cut through the (presumably armored) bulkheads of the correct hypergenerator room the enlarge it, plus find spots to relocate any and all displaced equipment to. But still well within the kind of serious refit a major naval yard fairly routinely does multiple times during a warship's service life.

But I agree streak drives, even once declassified and released for civilian uses, aren't going to get put in many merchants. If they can't make the econimics the of the current military hyperdrives work they're unlikely to spend even more to go faster yet. The only real advance I might see for freighters is if the work done to break the ETA wall has trickle down effects that let you build a civilian generator, with the same TCO as today's Delta bands cable ones, that can reach the Eta bands. Basically if they get a band or two higher "for free" with a new civilian generator then new freighters will just start coming with that.

Except privately available to corporate magnates like the Hauptmans and to Queens, Protectors and dictators. Especially Hauptman, who technically can build his own.

The Hauptmans aren't going to build general issue merchant transports with streak drives. Even after the streak drive gets declassified and released to civilian use.

For that matter, the streak drive is likely to remain classified for as long as possible, and not be released for any sort of civilian use.
I fully expect the Duke of Cromarty (the Agamemnon BC(P) derived Royal/Imperial Yacht) to get a streak drive once the RMN has it in a stable and deployable form.

The streak drive's existence probably won't be concealable for very long once it starts being used, but the RMN is going to do its best to keep how it works secret. That is, it has become known that the RMN has had major breakthroughs in inertial compensators, and FTL communications - but how to make those breakthroughs work is unknown.
Post by kzt   » Sat Apr 30, 2016 8:03 pm

kzt
Fleet Admiral

cthia wrote: Especially Hauptman, who technically can build his own.

Not really. His shipyards all blowed up, his factories all blowed up, and his merchant fleet owes trillions in non-delivery fees to pretty much every industrialized system in the galaxy. But we were just talking about how the economics of the Honorverse doesn't work, so go on.

Return to Honorverse