Topic Actions

Topic Search

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Google [Bot] and 157 guests

new book Shadow of Victory (Honor Harrington)

Join us in talking discussing all things Honor, including (but not limited to) tactics, favorite characters, and book discussions.
Re: new book Shadow of Victory (Honor Harrington)
Post by SharkHunter   » Thu May 05, 2016 11:34 pm

SharkHunter
Vice Admiral

My hopes for the e-arc equal.... "not before the end of my spring semester". I do want to pass the classes I am in, after all, and I'd likely read all of the books again (ebook form) just to make sure I'm stuffed to the gills with all this wonderful...

...fiction. WAY more fun than classes.
---------------------
All my posts are YMMV, IMHO, and welcoming polite discussion, extension, and rebuttal. This is the HonorVerse, after all
Post by C. O. Thompson   » Fri May 06, 2016 10:25 am

C. O. Thompson
Captain of the List

simality wrote:Argh.... :x
Isn't it time for us to get back to the main line? I know a lot of people don't much care for the political discourse but I really enjoyed watching the Mandarins squirm. Plus I can't wait to find out what happens to Hadley and Carmichael. Not to mention the ONI folks. The ones not part of the alignment.

It isn't that I have anything against space battles but in the end, they are all the same: Missiles go 'whee'; ships go 'boom'. But the Mandarins are still pretty new and interesting.

Just my opinion.

My parents tried to teach me [many things of value including] don't argue politics or religion. There may have been a qualifier about polite company ;) but... like so many of us... I didn't heed to their advice.
I always figured the best discussion came in these two topics and... even though I know that these are where the hottest debates occur, because opinions in each depend on belief ((one might as well say faith) Now faith is the substance of things hoped for, the evidence of things not seen. Hebrews 11:1) and one may as well try to prove a negative in debate... still, I agree with you about the political ramifications in these and several other of David's books.

Continue to share your thoughts and welcome to the halls of chaos :lol:

Charlie
Just my 2 ₡ worth
Post by NervousEnergy   » Fri May 06, 2016 10:57 am

NervousEnergy
Captain (Junior Grade)

Norm.bone wrote:I pick August 16th for the e-ARC pool.

Though I'd love my prediction to be proven wrong. (On the pessimistic side.)

IIRC, the eARC typically predates the first half webscription by a bit, so I'd put a wager down on July 15, assuming the revised draft hits Baen by May 15.

It's nice not to have to skulk eBay for physical ARCs anymore, plus too many people have wised up to that and prices were getting insane. I got the last book released before eARCs (SoSag) in ARC format and I think I won that auction for $70. The last Safehold book ARC I saw on eBay was over $300.

If the MW does another con tour like he did in 2009 where he covered his travel expenses with auctioned pre-release manuscripts I'd pay that much directly to him for one... but I'm not going anywhere near that price on eBay for a reviewer dumping an ARC.
Post by roseandheather   » Fri May 06, 2016 6:37 pm

roseandheather
Admiral

NervousEnergy wrote:A 6-7 month turnaround for Baen is fairly typical. If the final draft is turned in soon then a November date is historically reasonable, especially if it means getting one of their top income-producing authors on the shelf with his best-selling series right as the holiday season heats up. For us impatient ones, that also should mean an eARC this summer.

Tor, though, is another story, and I don't think they've ever put a book out less than 11 months after draft turn-in. That means we should see SoV this November, and the next Safehold book in November as well... 2017.

As much as I'd love to have all the Weber I can read, right now, and every day, it still amuses me to think of how much GREAT fiction from the Mad Wizard we've got to read during the wait for the next GRRM book. :lol:

After the cliffhanger he hit us with at the end of HFQ?? My foundations were quivering, let me tell you! NOT FAIR RFC. GIMME MORE THIRSK.

(Needy and demanding Rose is needy and demanding.)
~*~

I serve at the pleasure of President Pritchart.

Javier & Eloise
"You'll remember me when the west wind moves upon the fields of barley..."
Post by C. O. Thompson   » Sun May 08, 2016 12:20 pm

C. O. Thompson
Captain of the List

SYED wrote:The thing is the rebellion plan and aim the league at the manties, did not account for everything.

Well said SYED... I think the last thing they planed on was the Grand Alliance :twisted: and I think that as soon as the Mesan Alliance comes out of the Shadows the Audubon Ballroom will get operatives into the member states and find our which rock the Detwillers are hiding under... won't that be special?? ;)
Just my 2 ₡ worth

Return to Honorverse