Topic Actions

Topic Search

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: ThinksMarkedly and 136 guests

new book Shadow of Victory (Honor Harrington)

Join us in talking discussing all things Honor, including (but not limited to) tactics, favorite characters, and book discussions.
Re: new book Shadow of Victory (Honor Harrington)
Post by Lunan   » Mon Apr 25, 2016 12:06 pm

Lunan
Captain of the List

cool. any word on other projects? John announced some time ago that he finished all of his part for the next prince roger book and sent it off to HIMSELF, or perhaps on the next Norfressa book?

Duckk wrote:Last I heard, David was editing Shadow of Victory, and may be close to finished by now. He probably hasn't started the next Safehold book yet. I'll know more when I see him this summer.
Post by Duckk   » Mon Apr 25, 2016 12:08 pm

Duckk
Site Admin

That's all I know right now.
-------------------------
Shields at 50%, taunting at 100%! - Tom Pope
Post by munroburton   » Mon Apr 25, 2016 12:49 pm

munroburton
Admiral

saber964 wrote:
munroburton wrote:Fantastic!

No doubt the eARC will be available sooner.

You hope.

Duckk wrote:Last I heard, David was editing Shadow of Victory, and may be close to finished by now. He probably hasn't started the next Safehold book yet. I'll know more when I see him this summer.

:D

All aboard the Honorverse hype train!
Post by NervousEnergy   » Mon Apr 25, 2016 4:08 pm

NervousEnergy
Captain (Junior Grade)

A 6-7 month turnaround for Baen is fairly typical. If the final draft is turned in soon then a November date is historically reasonable, especially if it means getting one of their top income-producing authors on the shelf with his best-selling series right as the holiday season heats up. For us impatient ones, that also should mean an eARC this summer.

Tor, though, is another story, and I don't think they've ever put a book out less than 11 months after draft turn-in. That means we should see SoV this November, and the next Safehold book in November as well... 2017.

As much as I'd love to have all the Weber I can read, right now, and every day, it still amuses me to think of how much GREAT fiction from the Mad Wizard we've got to read during the wait for the next GRRM book. :lol:
Post by noblehunter   » Mon Apr 25, 2016 4:23 pm

noblehunter
Captain (Junior Grade)

NervousEnergy wrote:A 6-7 month turnaround for Baen is fairly typical. If the final draft is turned in soon then a November date is historically reasonable, especially if it means getting one of their top income-producing authors on the shelf with his best-selling series right as the holiday season heats up. For us impatient ones, that also should mean an eARC this summer.

Tor, though, is another story, and I don't think they've ever put a book out less than 11 months after draft turn-in. That means we should see SoV this November, and the next Safehold book in November as well... 2017.

As much as I'd love to have all the Weber I can read, right now, and every day, it still amuses me to think of how much GREAT fiction from the Mad Wizard we've got to read during the wait for the next GRRM book. :lol:

I don't think Tor is wedded to 11-months. I'd have to go poking on Tor.com but I'm pretty sure they've explained how they can arrange a shorter turn-around. I doubt they'd pull out the stops for Safehold.
Post by NervousEnergy   » Mon Apr 25, 2016 4:34 pm

NervousEnergy
Captain (Junior Grade)

noblehunter wrote:I don't think Tor is wedded to 11-months. I'd have to go poking on Tor.com but I'm pretty sure they've explained how they can arrange a shorter turn-around. I doubt they'd pull out the stops for Safehold.

You are absolutely correct, and I should have qualified my statement to only include DW. IIRC, Tor moved one of Robert Jordan's books from draft to shelf in less than 3 months.

Of course, whether or not all of the WoT books *should* have had at least 12 months of sharp editorial knives taken to the drafts is another discussion...
Post by noblehunter   » Mon Apr 25, 2016 4:54 pm

noblehunter
Captain (Junior Grade)

NervousEnergy wrote:You are absolutely correct, and I should have qualified my statement to only include DW. IIRC, Tor moved one of Robert Jordan's books from draft to shelf in less than 3 months.

Of course, whether or not all of the WoT books *should* have had at least 12 months of sharp editorial knives taken to the drafts is another discussion...

They ran into the same problem as DW. The narrative got complicated and it wasn't possible to keep the wordcount down without breaking implicit promises to the reader. Even so, a lot of stuff got tossed aside for the final trilogy. DW, at least, stuffs his extra words into separate books. Though it still slows the pace of events down to WOT speeds in terms of elapsed calendar time.
Post by Norm.bone   » Mon May 02, 2016 2:15 pm

Norm.bone
Lieutenant (Senior Grade)

I pick August 16th for the e-ARC pool.

Though I'd love my prediction to be proven wrong. (On the pessimistic side.)
Post by SYED   » Wed May 04, 2016 5:37 am

SYED
Rear Admiral

The thing is the rebellion plan and aim the league at the manties, did not account for everything. The alliance aimed at Mesa and their ilk, and the sheer scale of the tech advantage.
With their numbers bolstered by the alliance, they can truly shut down and enforce control over the termini network. So league fleet assets will be spread out and have limited logistics. Easy prey for the more advanced ships. The league ships might be too occupied to deal with rebellions, so that means they won't necessarily get wiped out. We already know the Megsan have primed corrupt officials to start their own rebellions, so those would be the priority as they would be more likely to have naval backing.
They never assumed for a long campaign, they wanted the league shattered and enemies crippled. The league still retains fleet ships, but internal strife will harm it. The alliance will be a huge obstacle to the alignment becoming the future dominant space nation.
The alignment itself will be a long term issue, but if Darius can be located and taken. It will cripple their secret activities.
We know the league has yet to officially declare war, I wonder if the alliance will, and one of their acts would be eliminating any know isolated enemy naval strength near by. So the enemy would be forced to create new logistics and deploy other assets. The league is adopting a commerce raiding plan, but can they keep to it if pushed. Say if the alliance starts to send detachments to eliminate ships of the line in dock. Publicly loosing ships like that in large numbers, they would be forced to respond. So far naval action has been out in the verge, but would the league public accept an enemy force acting with impunity in their home systems. They can't exactly say, we can't stop them because our ships don't match their standards. It would speed up the internal conflicts and breakup by adding strain to the system.
Post by C. O. Thompson   » Thu May 05, 2016 2:22 pm

C. O. Thompson
Captain of the List

cwpick1 wrote:amazon has a new book Shadow of Victory (Honor Harrington) This title will be released on November 1, 2016.

The last three or four of David's books that I bought were for my kindle... then I found out that Amazon was giving deals if one purchased the hard bound (which I prefer anyway) we could order the kindle version for $2. If my mamma raised any idiots it was one of my sisters.
Still, I am rereading the entire Honor Harrington series and trying to pace it... I don't know if I can hold back till November unless I deliberately stall I just finished Storm From The Shadows.

"Ask me for anything but time"
Just my 2 ₡ worth

Return to Honorverse