Topic Actions

Topic Search

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 137 guests

What will Admiral Higgins' next command be?

Join us in talking discussing all things Honor, including (but not limited to) tactics, favorite characters, and book discussions.
Re: What will Admiral Higgins' next command be?
Post by munroburton   » Sun May 15, 2016 6:35 am

munroburton
Admiral

Erls wrote:Here is an out of the box suggestion for Higgins: Saganami Island. Yup, why not rotate Higgins into a spot as the Commandant as SI? If he is viewed in good graces by the powers that be (as evidenced by his role a Admiral of the Fleet), then Commandant of SI would be a suitable position for him. Beyond that, he would be in the greatest possible position to impart the view that sacrificing your units and sailors on a fools errand is stupid and not what the RMN does. By having someone like Higgins, who made the hard call, in such a prestigious position teaching the next generation the RMN would be sending a strong signal that when the odds say 'slaughter' a real RMN officer is not scared too admit defeat and live to fight another day.

If he is coupled without someone like Aivars or Oversteegan as the senior Tactical Instructor that would send a great message to the middies. Be aggressive, but be smart.

It's one of the possibilities. However, one of the key things for the Academy Commandant is not to be someone who is respected by the 'powers that be' - it needs to be someone who's respected by the middies. Look how they responded to Honor Harrington when she was parked at the Island during her convalescence. I'm not sure Higgins could create that kind of inspiration.

I think if anything, Caparelli and Higgins may end up swapping jobs not too long down the line, if the former isn't too long out of a spacegoing command(been 15 plus years now).

I rather like the idea of First Space Lord Higgins, with Andrea Jaruwalski as his chief of staff.
Re: What will Admiral Higgins' next command be?
Post by cthia   » Sun May 15, 2016 8:18 am

cthia
Fleet Admiral

cthia wrote:
saber964 wrote:IMO Higgins will be given commands that will take him out of -shall we say- the front lines. He will be given important but strategically less important assignments like ambassador to Haven or CinC Ninth Fleet or Silisia station after ADM Sarnow rotates home.

Much like what happened to ADM Jack Fletcher who was promoted to important but less and less relevant positions after Guadalcanal. IIRC he commanded the 13th naval district HQ Seattle WA, the Northwestern Sea Frontier and CinC North Pacific which after 1943 was basically a backwater like the South Pacific Area command in roughly the same time period.

But if they do that, before he has a chance to get back on the horse, it could affect him much as the situation with Aivars Terekhov before he got a chance to "re"prove the temper of his mettle, and the looming and cloudy questions of doubt that hung over his head by his crew. Which could have affected his decision during the Talbott crisis - wanting to play it safe and lay up (golf), to protect his career. It was the unbending mettle that he showed under threat of his career that earned him the total respect of his peers.

He totally should ask Dame Estelle out - for breakfast the morning after.

Didn't Terekhov have doubts of his own?

saber964 wrote:How much of a horse does he have to get up on? He is Admiral of the Fleet, essentially second in command of the entire RMN. What kind of commands would he be able to hold. That wouldn't be seen as a demotion, Grand Fleet? Honor's got a lock on that command for the foreseeable future, Eighth Fleet? Alice Truman apparently has that one, Tenth Fleet? Mike Henke has a lock on that one. Maybe organize a new strike fleet analogous of sixth and eighth fleets? This on is a possibility if you base it in the Erehwon-Congo area for strikes on that flank of the SL.

I was more concerned with the possibility of any lingering long term psychological effects of Higgins dealt by Murphy from his last two commands. We have no doubts about his abilities, but as Terekhov, he may. At the very least, he may think he brings bad luck to the uniform. There have been worst superstitions that have been debilitating to a man. Pulling the trigger and turning some ships into so much space dust would be good therapy for Higgins and would serve to remove any and all lingering doubt.

In his present tenure, that opportunity may not come until after the dust would need to have been long since settled.

Son, your mother says I have to hang you. Personally I don't think this is a capital offense. But if I don't hang you, she's gonna hang me and frankly, I'm not the one in trouble. —cthia's father. Incident in ? Axiom of Common Sense

Return to Honorverse