Topic Actions

Topic Search

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 46 guests

Abigail's first ship

Join us in talking discussing all things Honor, including (but not limited to) tactics, favorite characters, and book discussions.
Re: Abigail's first ship
Post by PalmerSperry   » Thu Apr 07, 2016 3:05 pm

PalmerSperry
Commander

Jonathan_S wrote:Again I don't know how an environment they know is simulated can test their physical courage under fire.

Maybe they have sections that aren't totally simulated? I can't quite think of an appropriate analogous situation for the Honorerse, but something like part of the RN's "Perisher" course?

You are in command of submarine (albeit with a senior instructor on hand to take over if you screw up), and you've got merchant vessels from yachts to ferries in the area and also four/five frigates or destroyers[1] charging about trying to ruin your day. Get it a bit wrong and they'll drop a practice depth charge on your head, get it very wrong and they may accidentally ram you! i.e. a definite risk to life and limb.

[1] Alas given the size of the RN these days, no longer possible to have that many. :(
Post by pnakasone   » Thu Apr 07, 2016 9:09 pm

pnakasone
Captain of the List

PalmerSperry wrote:Maybe they have sections that aren't totally simulated? I can't quite think of an appropriate analogous situation for the Honorerse, but something like part of the RN's "Perisher" course?

You are in command of submarine (albeit with a senior instructor on hand to take over if you screw up), and you've got merchant vessels from yachts to ferries in the area and also four/five frigates or destroyers[1] charging about trying to ruin your day. Get it a bit wrong and they'll drop a practice depth charge on your head, get it very wrong and they may accidentally ram you! i.e. a definite risk to life and limb.

[1] Alas given the size of the RN these days, no longer possible to have that many. :(

But you still know that they are not deliberately trying to kill or injury you. A real enemy in a real battle/fight is try their best to kill or injury you. You can make no mistakes and still get killed.
Post by Dale B   » Sat Apr 09, 2016 7:30 am

Dale B
Lieutenant (Junior Grade)

Hmm.
Look up Cmdr Bruce McCandless.
Comm Officer, USS San Fransisco in the naval battle at Guadalcanal. Not the most senior officer in the battle line, or even aboard the 'Frisco at the time, but due to his ships position, structural damage, loss of communications, and the fact he was the ranking officer on the bridge, he was in effective command of the battle line that night, after the flag was killed.

Abigail could wind up earning her spurs in just the same manner. Take out internal comms, isolate the bridge from any higher ranks by damage, and whoever is in the center seat is it.
Post by cthia   » Sat Apr 09, 2016 7:42 am

cthia
Fleet Admiral

Dale B wrote:Hmm.
Comm Officer, USS San Fransisco in the naval battle at Guadalcanal. Not the most senior officer in the battle line, or even aboard the 'Frisco at the time, but due to his ships position, structural damage, loss of communications, and the fact he was the ranking officer on the bridge, he was in effective command of the battle line that night, after the flag was killed.

*Abigail could wind up earning her spurs in just the same manner. Take out internal comms, isolate the bridge from any higher ranks by damage, and whoever is in the center seat is it.

* In the same manner as Honor inherited command during Sarnow's injuries at the First Battle of Hancock.

Son, your mother says I have to hang you. Personally I don't think this is a capital offense. But if I don't hang you, she's gonna hang me and frankly, I'm not the one in trouble. —cthia's father. Incident in ? Axiom of Common Sense
Post by Dauntless   » Sat Apr 09, 2016 7:52 am

Dauntless
Rear Admiral

close

but I would expect something more like Honor taking command of War Maiden on her middy cruise when the captain was injured and AuxCon was cut off.

not Abigail taking command of a squadron/divison of ships
Post by PalmerSperry   » Sat Apr 09, 2016 11:07 am

PalmerSperry
Commander

pnakasone wrote:But you still know that they are not deliberately trying to kill or injury you. A real enemy in a real battle/fight is try their best to kill or injury you. You can make no mistakes and still get killed.

Whilst there's a difference, there's a slightly smaller difference than "This is all simulated, and even if I screw up royally my daddy will pull strings to get me my first command anyway.".
Post by Bill Woods   » Sat Apr 09, 2016 12:16 pm

Bill Woods
Captain of the List

Dale B wrote:Hmm.

Lt. Comdr. Herbert Schonland was left as the senior officer on San Francisco after the bridge was hit, but he ordered McCandless to stay at the conn, because as the ship's damage control officer he thought his own efforts were best used keeping the ship "afloat and right-side up". Both Schonland and McCandless were awarded the Medal of Honor.

Capt. Gilbert Hoover of Helena was the senior officer present, but it's a stretch to say anyone was in effective command at that moment.
----
Imagined conversation:
Admiral [noting yet another Manty tech surprise]:
XO, what's the budget for the ONI?
Vice Admiral: I don't recall exactly, sir. Several billion quatloos.
Admiral: ... What do you suppose they did with all that money?
Post by Dale B   » Sat Apr 09, 2016 5:26 pm

Dale B
Lieutenant (Junior Grade)

Considering the circumstances that engagement, that's an understatement.

But the analogy holds. All she has to be is the OOD or senior surviving body on the bridge, and she, assuming she survives and does her duty, gets those combat command spurs.

Of course with this bizarre 'I Dare Murphy!' relationship she has with the Marines, who knows whats going to happen.....
Post by saber964   » Sat Apr 09, 2016 8:49 pm

saber964
Admiral

How about Miss Midshipwoman Harrington aboard HMS War Maiden. She took command of a damaged heavy cruiser with the wounding of the CO and the XO being out of contact.
Post by BrightSoul   » Sat Apr 09, 2016 11:18 pm

BrightSoul
Rear Admiral

saber964 wrote:How about Miss Midshipwoman Harrington aboard HMS War Maiden. She took command of a damaged heavy cruiser with the wounding of the CO and the XO being out of contact.

At which time IIRC Santino was the ATO and a borderline officer. He couldn't have predated Roger by much as implied up thread from this.

Return to Honorverse