Topic Actions

Topic Search

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Google [Bot] and 90 guests

Harrington Vs Palane FIGHT!! Who wins?

Join us in talking discussing all things Honor, including (but not limited to) tactics, favorite characters, and book discussions.
Harrington Vs Palane FIGHT!! Who wins?
Post by bobsuncorp   » Sun Apr 03, 2016 6:30 pm

bobsuncorp
Ensign

In the blue corner: The Amazon of Amazons, The Great Kaja, the one the only, General Thandi Palane!

In the red corner: The Salamander from Sphinx, the Duchess who causes harm with her robot arm, Admiral Honor Alexander-Harrington!

This will be a mixed martial arts contest, please place your bets, a percentage of all wagers will go towards the Torch-Manticore Royal Charity for the support of rescued Genetic Slaves, so please give generously.

Ladies.... FIGHT!!!
The Great Kaja By Knockout In 30 Seconds ....
Post by HB of CJ   » Sun Apr 03, 2016 6:48 pm

HB of CJ
Captain of the List

Street fighter who must win to live vs a wanna be kinda fighter. Sorry Honor, you do not stand a chance. The Great Kaja by knockout 30 seconds into the first round. Not pretty, not graceful.

The main problem facing the Great Kaja will be doing Honor no real great physical or lasting harm. Different type of fighting. My bet is a fresh strong black cup of shut the heck up coffee. :)
Re: Harrington Vs Palane FIGHT!! Who wins?
Post by munroburton   » Sun Apr 03, 2016 7:35 pm

munroburton
Admiral

Good thing you stated mixed martial arts - rules Honor's point'n'shooter out.

My bet would be on Thandi, although Honor's mark two arm evens the field a little, as does her telempathic sense.
Post by Fox2!   » Sun Apr 03, 2016 9:11 pm

Fox2!
Commodore

munroburton wrote:Good thing you stated mixed martial arts - rules Honor's point'n'shooter out.

Since MMA is fight with whatcha brung, the pulser is in play. Unfortunately, the only way to stop the Great Kaja once the bell rang would be with a hit someplace that would cause immediate catastrophic loss of blood pressure and volume. And be just about DRT (Dead Right There).

I suspect that both proposed combatants would recognize that each is a mistress of lethal combat skills. Their disparate styles would not allow for the "survivable" display of those skills.
Post by bobsuncorp   » Sun Apr 03, 2016 10:22 pm

bobsuncorp
Ensign

I will admit that I also thought Palane would be the winner without breaking a sweat, but on reflection I think that Honor may give her a harder fight than most. True Thandi's enhancements outperform Harrington's (as long as she eats before the bout) and she is reputed to be as good a fighter as Honor is an Admiral, but the Salamander has age, experience, superior strategic sense and empathic skills as well as that bionic arm.

Of course that superior strategic sense means Honor would never get in the ring in the first place, but that is why I mentioned the charitable cause that they both strongly believe in. Oh and for the same reason it is not a fight to the death, just a knockout or submission like any respectable mma match.
Post by cthia   » Mon Apr 04, 2016 12:46 am

cthia
Fleet Admiral

bobsuncorp wrote:I will admit that I also thought Palane would be the winner without breaking a sweat, but on reflection I think that Honor may give her a harder fight than most. True Thandi's enhancements outperform Harrington's (as long as she eats before the bout) and she is reputed to be as good a fighter as Honor is an Admiral, but the Salamander has age, experience, superior strategic sense and empathic skills as well as that bionic arm.

Of course that superior strategic sense means Honor would never get in the ring in the first place, but that is why I mentioned the charitable cause that they both strongly believe in. Oh and for the same reason it is not a fight to the death, just a knockout or submission like any respectable mma match.

What is just as interesting is how Honor's aggressive style, coup de vitesse, would fare against Thandi. It may or may not be prudent for Honor to just go for broke as opposed to circling her prey, lest she be preyed upon. OTOH, it might catch or throw Thandi off balance. But if Honor lets her get back on balance, then her ass is grass and I know the mower.

Honor's a black belt. Anyone know the degree?

What is Thandi's rating?

Son, your mother says I have to hang you. Personally I don't think this is a capital offense. But if I don't hang you, she's gonna hang me and frankly, I'm not the one in trouble. —cthia's father. Incident in ? Axiom of Common Sense
Post by kzt   » Mon Apr 04, 2016 1:48 am

kzt
Fleet Admiral

People are overly impressed with rank in most martial arts. Past 4-5 it's not about technique, it's about what you have done for the school and for students.

And I think the answer is 8.
Post by Dauntless   » Mon Apr 04, 2016 8:28 am

Dauntless
Rear Admiral

kzt wrote:People are overly impressed with rank in most martial arts. Past 4-5 it's not about technique, it's about what you have done for the school and for students.

there was a mention early in book 10 war of honor.

hamish visits her in gym and reflects to himself on the fact that despite having only semi recently lost an arm she has not only regained her previous rank but surpassed it
Post by Zakharra   » Mon Apr 04, 2016 10:46 am

Zakharra
Captain of the List

Assuming the finger pulser is off the table, in almost all bouts, I'd give the win to Thandie. While Honor is good, real good, she is, at the core, a naval officer who visits the gym fairly often. While Thandie is a ground officer who regularly practices hand to hand combat, and who has used her skills in hand to hand combat, and regularly practices with the Scrags who are skilled in down and dirty fighting, which will push Thandie far more than Honor's gym practice matches.

Simply put, Thandie has far more practice and expertise at hand to hand fighting, she is stronger and faster (Thandi is -strong-, stronger than Honor I believe, and -very- fast-) and is more likely to rip off Honor's arm and beat her into the ground with it. Not even Honor's tele/empathic abilities would help since hand to hand combat happens real fast.
Post by saber964   » Mon Apr 04, 2016 12:47 pm

saber964
Admiral

kzt wrote:People are overly impressed with rank in most martial arts. Past 4-5 it's not about technique, it's about what you have done for the school and for students.

The belts and grades of belts in martial arts was instituted by the western world for tournaments. In the far east, traditionally there were only two grades that of student and teacher.

Return to Honorverse