Topic Actions

Topic Search

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 119 guests

Possible proof to RFC's physics

Join us in talking discussing all things Honor, including (but not limited to) tactics, favorite characters, and book discussions.
Possible proof to RFC's physics
Post by templehawk   » Thu Feb 11, 2016 12:01 pm

templehawk
Lieutenant (Junior Grade)

http://www.nytimes.com/2016/02/12/scien ... &te=1&_r=0

From the story:

A team of physicists who can now count themselves as astronomers announced on Thursday that they had heard and recorded the sound of two black holes colliding a billion light-years away, a fleeting chirp that fulfilled the last prophecy of Einstein’s general theory of relativity.

That faint rising tone, physicists say, is the first direct evidence of gravitational waves, the ripples in the fabric of space-time that Einstein predicted a century ago.
Re: Possible proof to RFC's physics
Post by MuonNeutrino   » Thu Feb 11, 2016 12:52 pm

MuonNeutrino
Commander

I just got back from the conference room where a whole crowd of us astronomers was watching the press conference livestream, myself. Everyone is incredibly excited about this, but it's unfortunately not proof of RFC's particular version of gravity. The gravitational waves in question here aren't the same as RFC's hyper waves, nor are they the same as what RFC's gravitics detect (which are described as detecting ripples along the alpha wall between realspace and the alpha bands of hyper) - notably, these gravitational waves aren't FTL in any way.

Still, this is an incredibly huge deal. Essentially everything we know about the universe outside our own little corner, we know by observing light. Gravitational waves now join neutrino and cosmic ray observations as the *only* non-electromagnetic signals we can get from outside our solar system. And these signals probe events we'd never be able to observe otherwise, like the binary black hole merger whose signal they observed at LIGO last fall. This is one of the most important moments in astronomy since the invention of the telescope.
Post by npadln   » Fri Feb 12, 2016 2:58 am

npadln
Commander

MuonNeutrino wrote:I just got back from the conference room where a whole crowd of us astronomers was watching the press conference livestream, myself. Everyone is incredibly excited about this, but it's unfortunately not proof of RFC's particular version of gravity. The gravitational waves in question here aren't the same as RFC's hyper waves, nor are they the same as what RFC's gravitics detect (which are described as detecting ripples along the alpha wall between realspace and the alpha bands of hyper) - notably, these gravitational waves aren't FTL in any way.

Still, this is an incredibly huge deal. Essentially everything we know about the universe outside our own little corner, we know by observing light. Gravitational waves now join neutrino and cosmic ray observations as the *only* non-electromagnetic signals we can get from outside our solar system. And these signals probe events we'd never be able to observe otherwise, like the binary black hole merger whose signal they observed at LIGO last fall. This is one of the most important moments in astronomy since the invention of the telescope.

A stupid question for you: like a boat bobbing on ocean waves would we ourselves, metaphorically speaking, be bobbing on the gravitational waves we detected here on Earth?
Post by Annachie   » Fri Feb 12, 2016 4:03 am

Annachie
Fleet Admiral

Ok, stuff way over my education but...
Essentially, are we detecting gravity waves from the colliding black holes, or an interference pattern in the gravity waves from them from two black holes being so close? (Haven't read the article yet)

Sent from my SM-G920I using Tapatalk
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
You are so going to die. :p ~~~~ runsforcelery
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
still not dead. :)
Post by clancy688   » Fri Feb 12, 2016 6:36 am

clancy688
Captain of the List

templehawk wrote: Possible proof to RFC's physics

Rather the opposite, unfortunately. Einstein's gravitational waves propagate at lightspeed.

RFC's gravitational waves are FTL:

- Passive detection of gravitic wedges is FTL
- FTL com uses gravitational pulses
Post by Hans   » Fri Feb 12, 2016 7:33 am

Hans
Lieutenant (Senior Grade)

Hello,

When i first read about the - quite likely - detection of the gravity waves, a 'JA' (Yes) came to my mind.
This is, within a couple of weeks the second very important discovery in science!
The other was the stable hydrogenium plasma at the fusion plant in Greifswald

clancy688 wrote:
templehawk wrote: Possible proof to RFC's physics

Rather the opposite, unfortunately. Einstein's gravitational waves propagate at lightspeed.

RFC's gravitational waves are FTL:

- Passive detection of gravitic wedges is FTL
- FTL com uses gravitational pulses

Science fiction wouldn't work without some fantasy ;)
Post by Theemile   » Fri Feb 12, 2016 7:37 am

Theemile
Fleet Admiral

npadln wrote:
MuonNeutrino wrote:I just got back from the conference room where a whole crowd of us astronomers was watching the press conference livestream, myself. Everyone is incredibly excited about this, but it's unfortunately not proof of RFC's particular version of gravity. The gravitational waves in question here aren't the same as RFC's hyper waves, nor are they the same as what RFC's gravitics detect (which are described as detecting ripples along the alpha wall between realspace and the alpha bands of hyper) - notably, these gravitational waves aren't FTL in any way.

A stupid question for you: like a boat bobbing on ocean waves would we ourselves, metaphorically speaking, be bobbing on the gravitational waves we detected here on Earth?

Esentially, yes. The wave would pass through us ( the earth) contracting everything physical ( spacetime) as it passes. The often used analogy for gravity stretching or contracting reality is a stretched bedsheet. Gravitational sources are heavy balls, which when placed on the sheet, distorting the bedsheet (or spacetime) around the mass. A grav wave would be a compression of the fabric of spacetime, much like sound is a compression of air, passing through all objects. You could imagine someone flicking a corner of the bedsheet with a finger, causing a ripple to spread across it. the ripple passes through the masses as well, contracting them as it passes.

The laser beam of a LIGO is split and run down 2 equal length paths at 90 degree angles from the other, which hit a mirror at the end and return to the source. The design is that the 2 beams come back in phase with other. Any stretching or contraction of one of the paths will change the phase of one of the beams, causing an interference pattern when th beams are joined, making it instantly obvious an event has occcured.

Hope this helps.
RFC said "refitting a Beowulfan SD to Manticoran standards would be just as difficult as refitting a standard SLN SD to those standards. In other words, it would be cheaper and faster to build new ships."
Post by MuonNeutrino   » Fri Feb 12, 2016 9:56 am

MuonNeutrino
Commander

Annachie wrote:Ok, stuff way over my education but...
Essentially, are we detecting gravity waves from the colliding black holes, or an interference pattern in the gravity waves from them from two black holes being so close? (Haven't read the article yet)

In this case it was the gravitational waves from the actual collision between the black holes. Black holes do also release gravitational waves while they are still just orbiting each other, before they collide (that's how the orbits decay enough so they *can* collide), but at that stage the waves are nowhere near strong enough for us to detect. It's only during the actual collision itself that conditions are violent enough to produce gravitational waves detectable over such immense distances.

npadln wrote:A stupid question for you: like a boat bobbing on ocean waves would we ourselves, metaphorically speaking, be bobbing on the gravitational waves we detected here on Earth?

More or less. As Theemile explained, gravitational waves stretch and shrink the fabric of spacetime itself, and so affect everything in it as well. However, the effects are so absurdly tiny that they almost might as well not exist on any human scale. The strain measured by LIGO for this event was roughly 10^-21, meaning that it changed the lengths of the 4 km long arms of the interferometer by about a millionth of a millionth of a millionth of a meter. The LIGO instruments were probably the only physical processes on the planet to even notice, and the technical challenges that had to be overcome to build an instrument capable of picking up such absurdly weak signals are pretty mind-boggling.
Post by dscott8   » Fri Feb 12, 2016 10:07 am

dscott8
Commodore

This is what I love about science. It never stops looking for evidence, never assumes it knows everything, never clings to an outmoded theory when new facts contradict it. There's always something more out there. For a scientists, every day is Christmas morning.
Post by npadln   » Fri Feb 12, 2016 1:17 pm

npadln
Commander

Thanks to all who responded to my query. I've been all over Youtube and the internet about this. It seems the most exciting thing about this is that it adds another tool for observing and understanding the Universe. Great video by the folks at Deep Astronomy, https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=azSHQT0HCA0

Return to Honorverse