Topic Actions

Topic Search

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 151 guests

Is David Weber going to finish the series?

Join us in talking discussing all things Honor, including (but not limited to) tactics, favorite characters, and book discussions.
Re: Is David Weber going to finish the series?
Post by jchilds   » Sun Feb 07, 2016 1:13 pm

jchilds
Captain of the List

In regards to some of the earlier comments, Honor has already been the Admiral of the Fleet/CO of Home Fleet and her tenure was anything but boring.
Post by Brian   » Sun Feb 07, 2016 6:32 pm

Brian
Midshipman

kzt wrote:IIRC, one of his daughters was appointed and accepted the role as his official successor for the Honor books at Honorcon. So the series WOULD get done.

Given that she was 12 at the time perhaps you might not take that all that seriously.

<shrug> Some 12 year old kids are pretty sharp. Have her fire up MSWord and do an Honorverse short and see how she does...
Post by Relax   » Mon Feb 08, 2016 5:09 am

Relax
Fleet Admiral

Brian wrote:<shrug> Some 12 year old kids are pretty sharp. Have her fire up MSWord and do an Honorverse short and see how she does...

At least it wouldn't be full of bloviating boring political table talk... :? :o
_________
Tally Ho!
Relax
Post by cthia   » Mon Feb 08, 2016 10:22 am

cthia
Fleet Admiral

Brian wrote:
kzt wrote:IIRC, one of his daughters was appointed and accepted the role as his official successor for the Honor books at Honorcon. So the series WOULD get done.

Given that she was 12 at the time perhaps you might not take that all that seriously.

<shrug> Some 12 year old kids are pretty sharp. Have her fire up MSWord and do an Honorverse short and see how she does...

Indeed. I wasn't a half-bad 12-yr-old lad myself. Neither was my niece. And what about the amazing 11-yr-old NFL Superbowl correspondent Marlo Mosley? She was truly amazing... handling the mic and asking good questions with aplomb all week.

What is the age of David's daughter now? Is she a member of the forums, as far as anyone may know? It'd be interesting to read some of her comments and angles on various things Honorverse. (I'm not a Safeholder.)

Aside:
Hope everyone enjoyed the game. Hardly anyone drank at my home. Everyone was too busy screaming. Lovely evening, though the Panthers lost. :(

Son, your mother says I have to hang you. Personally I don't think this is a capital offense. But if I don't hang you, she's gonna hang me and frankly, I'm not the one in trouble. —cthia's father. Incident in ? Axiom of Common Sense
Post by wrlee1966   » Tue Feb 09, 2016 5:39 am

wrlee1966
Lieutenant (Junior Grade)

I think if David is going to wrap the Honor books up in the next 2 books what you will see is Honor as the Allied commander of all forces going after the Alignment. I think you will seem them try to take out Bolt hole. if they can find it. And I think in the Last books one of 2 things will be in it. Honor is killed at the very end doing something to save probably your kids. Or there is a flash forward and you will see her kids or some scholar talking about her impact of so much of the universe and not know what happened to her in the end. Or you will see her last action being shown to the midshipmen - midshipwomen at their last review before their midshipmen's cruise like they did for Edward.
Post by CDRE Arghun   » Wed Feb 10, 2016 1:42 am

CDRE Arghun
Midshipman

Will David finish the story Arc of Honor? Of this I have no doubt.

But that leaves all sorts of areas to go explore. In addition to House of Lies and House of Shadows with BuNine, there is book 3 of MAnticore Ascendant, and then there still is all the OTHER areas to be explored:

For instance we could learn more about Edward Saganami, Ellen D'Orville and Quentin Saint-James. There are stories about Honor's exploits on other ships coming up the ranks. There could even still be storied in the future about Honor's children (And the children of other characters)

And some of the up and coming officers in both navies. Heck how about the Mya sector? That could be fun too.

For me at least I didn't fall in love with Honor so much as I fell in love with Manticore. And later Grayson too. As long as there are Honorverse stories I can handle them not being about Honor :)
Post by cthia   » Wed Feb 10, 2016 8:26 am

cthia
Fleet Admiral

CDRE Arghun wrote:Will David finish the story Arc of Honor? Of this I have no doubt.

But that leaves all sorts of areas to go explore. In addition to House of Lies and House of Shadows with BuNine, there is book 3 of MAnticore Ascendant, and then there still is all the OTHER areas to be explored:

For instance we could learn more about Edward Saganami, Ellen D'Orville and Quentin Saint-James. There are stories about Honor's exploits on other ships coming up the ranks. There could even still be storied in the future about Honor's children (And the children of other characters)

And some of the up and coming officers in both navies. Heck how about the Mya sector? That could be fun too.

For me at least I didn't fall in love with Honor so much as I fell in love with Manticore. And later Grayson too. As long as there are Honorverse stories I can handle them not being about Honor :)

An Honorverse with no Honor? :o

W-T-Front door doing open! An Honorverse without Honor is left with only disgrace.

When the main storyline concludes, RFC would be free to write some gravy to cover the meat and potatoes. Abigail in command would be good gravy.

Son, your mother says I have to hang you. Personally I don't think this is a capital offense. But if I don't hang you, she's gonna hang me and frankly, I'm not the one in trouble. —cthia's father. Incident in ? Axiom of Common Sense
Post by pokermind   » Wed Feb 10, 2016 9:47 pm

pokermind
Fleet Admiral

Hmm Hamish retires, Honor becomes first Lord of the Admiralty, Mike Hink takes over home fleet. You don't think that pair can get in trouble without even leaving the Manticore system

Perhaps a couple of more anthologies to tie up loose ends.

Poker
CPO Poker Mind Image and, Mangy Fur the Smart Alick Spacecat.

"Better to be hung for a hexapuma than a housecat," Com. Pang Yau-pau, ART.
Post by Roguevictory   » Thu Feb 11, 2016 12:18 am

Roguevictory
Captain of the List

Why do some people think BuShips wouldn't be a good post for Honor? Given her role in the Medusa project I don't see any reason to believe she would do badly there myself.
Post by Relax   » Thu Feb 11, 2016 3:23 am

Relax
Fleet Admiral

Roguevictory wrote:Why do some people think BuShips wouldn't be a good post for Honor? Given her role in the Medusa project I don't see any reason to believe she would do badly there myself.

Because you have to enjoy engineering. Nothing is set in stone. Writing a wish list is one thing. Pouring through the minuscia and trying to deal with the real contractors compared to those just stringing you along. Then you have all of the inter military rivalries that rear their heads say between the Marines/Army/Navy with their own specific oars in the mix. Compounded by careerist bureaucrats who know nothing about war, but are just there for power agrandizement and their own little turf patch which you may have to burn over and bury as it is obsolete which, oh-by-the-way will look "bad" on their bureaucrat record and therefore they will not climb the ladder.

In short you are NOT in command. Rather you are trying to herd dogs using cats without a true goal other than "better". Now add Politics into the mix with lobbyists... I would either kill myself or go on a shooting rampage with... rubber bullets, or pepper spray or tasers, if I had to work that job.
_________
Tally Ho!
Relax

Return to Honorverse