Topic Actions

Topic Search

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Joat42 and 32 guests

Is David Weber going to finish the series?

Join us in talking discussing all things Honor, including (but not limited to) tactics, favorite characters, and book discussions.
Re: Is David Weber going to finish the series?
Post by munroburton   » Thu Feb 04, 2016 9:32 pm

munroburton
Admiral

cthia wrote:
kaid wrote:From what I have read it sounded like he intended to wrap up the Honor series at least for the current era in the next two books one coming out next fall. As it also looks like he is starting to wrap up the current safehold timeline as well in the next book it looks like he is working hard not to leave things dangling.

And then if he wants to do more single book/trilogy stuff in those universes in the future he can for the honor verse kind of go to plan A which was to have the mantle fall to honors kids because frankly she is far to senior to stay a focal character and after the next couple books I don't see how she avoids being stuck full time in the halls of government permanently.

Yet making an occasional on-ship appearance in her advanced-advanced age like our illustrious Admiral Kirk. Can you imagine Honor thumbing a ride to Grayson in her retired years and her host fleet being ambushed? Yet the enemy didn't count on a Salamander being aboard. Oops! That's a Kirk like story waiting in the wings!

There can always be ghost-writers and fan-fueled stories written in the far future, in the manner of Star Trek and the momentum that carries those stories.

Unfortunately, Honorverse canon is pretty firm about this. The strongest example is probably when White Haven was very careful not to jog Admiral MacDonnell's elbow during Operation Thunderbolt at Trevor's Star.

To get a retired Honor back into direct combat command requires an extremely unusual situation - her sitting on flag bridge of whatever ship is carrying her home, an attack which destroys the duty bridge and auxiliary control(killing the captain, XO and most of the senior officers) but does not destroy the vessel or degrades its combat capabilities too severely. Pulling that off is tricky, as both the bridge and Coventry are in opposite ends of the ship and probably inside the core hull as well.

Even after that sort of unlikely disaster, the chief engineer should still be alive and, by the book, should take command from Damage Control. Fortunately for the plot, the engineer might decide he has too much damage to fix and since Her Grace is aboard, could he trouble her for some assistance?

Halls of government is right. Unless Honor dies in action against the Alignment, she's bound to retire from military service not long after that mess is mopped up and unlikely to go back short of another Yawata-type attack. Then her time's consumed by being a permanent senior member of two different star nations' legislatures as well as governing swathes of territories in them, running Sky Domes and raising her kids. Whew. If anyone attacks her ship, she'd just get on the com and roar, "I don't have time for this s...!"
Post by npadln   » Thu Feb 04, 2016 10:24 pm

npadln
Commander

munroburton wrote:
Unfortunately, Honorverse canon is pretty firm about this. The strongest example is probably when White Haven was very careful not to jog Admiral MacDonnell's elbow during Operation Thunderbolt at Trevor's Star.

To get a retired Honor back into direct combat command requires an extremely unusual situation - her sitting on flag bridge of whatever ship is carrying her home, an attack which destroys the duty bridge and auxiliary control(killing the captain, XO and most of the senior officers) but does not destroy the vessel or degrades its combat capabilities too severely. Pulling that off is tricky, as both the bridge and Coventry are in opposite ends of the ship and probably inside the core hull as well.

Even after that sort of unlikely disaster, the chief engineer should still be alive and, by the book, should take command from Damage Control. Fortunately for the plot, the engineer might decide he has too much damage to fix and since Her Grace is aboard, could he trouble her for some assistance?

Halls of government is right. Unless Honor dies in action against the Alignment, she's bound to retire from military service not long after that mess is mopped up and unlikely to go back short of another Yawata-type attack. Then her time's consumed by being a permanent senior member of two different star nations' legislatures as well as governing swathes of territories in them, running Sky Domes and raising her kids. Whew. If anyone attacks her ship, she'd just get on the com and roar, "I don't have time for this s...!"

If it came to her seeing action once again it would probably look something similar to Honor In Enemy Hands; only this time it would be the MALignment and Detweiler doing the gloating.
Post by Theemile   » Fri Feb 05, 2016 10:15 am

Theemile
Fleet Admiral

Duckk wrote:David has hit some stumbling blocks with the most recent Honor book, which was supposed to be submitted in October. This was further compounded by computer issues, which have since been (mostly) resolved.

So If I'm reading this correctly, he's still working on the book and is at least 4 months over due - possibly 5 if he can't complete it in the next week or so. Ouch.... You have to love how life interferes with plans.
RFC said "refitting a Beowulfan SD to Manticoran standards would be just as difficult as refitting a standard SLN SD to those standards. In other words, it would be cheaper and faster to build new ships."
Post by cthia   » Fri Feb 05, 2016 3:20 pm

cthia
Fleet Admiral

cthia wrote:
kaid wrote:From what I have read it sounded like he intended to wrap up the Honor series at least for the current era in the next two books one coming out next fall. As it also looks like he is starting to wrap up the current safehold timeline as well in the next book it looks like he is working hard not to leave things dangling.

And then if he wants to do more single book/trilogy stuff in those universes in the future he can for the honor verse kind of go to plan A which was to have the mantle fall to honors kids because frankly she is far to senior to stay a focal character and after the next couple books I don't see how she avoids being stuck full time in the halls of government permanently.

Yet making an occasional on-ship appearance in her advanced-advanced age like our illustrious Admiral Kirk. Can you imagine Honor thumbing a ride to Grayson in her retired years and her host fleet being ambushed? Yet the enemy didn't count on a Salamander being aboard. Oops! That's a Kirk like story waiting in the wings!

There can always be ghost-writers and fan-fueled stories written in the far future, in the manner of Star Trek and the momentum that carries those stories.

munroburton wrote:Unfortunately, Honorverse canon is pretty firm about this. The strongest example is probably when White Haven was very careful not to jog Admiral MacDonnell's elbow during Operation Thunderbolt at Trevor's Star.

Whew. If anyone attacks her ship, she'd just get on the com and roar, "I don't have time for this s...!"

That is a hilarious thought. Thanks for the chuckles.

Thing is, with her rep, if she did open communication channels and did that -- wedges would strike!

However, never say never. In space, that Demon Murphy travels w/o a ship. He's everywhere. He makes things like that happen at the snap of a finger. It happened to Kirk several times. Spock, Scotty, Bones and a few others as well. It even happened to Admiral Courvosier -- though it nailed his coffin.

Besides, I was considering indirect combat command. During a sticky situation, such as odds that only a Salamander has been privileged to face, if a certain commander has benefit of the Salamander on board, I'm sure he/she will defer to her judgement. Or at least have a chat with her. Wouldn't you?

Son, your mother says I have to hang you. Personally I don't think this is a capital offense. But if I don't hang you, she's gonna hang me and frankly, I'm not the one in trouble. —cthia's father. Incident in ? Axiom of Common Sense
Post by Somtaaw   » Fri Feb 05, 2016 5:15 pm

Somtaaw
Rear Admiral

If Honor does somehow manage to stay in uniform, she's basically going to become the equivalent of D'Orville, Webster, and Caparelli. Remember that the Manticoran Admiralty long-ago adopted the policy of rotating it's Admirals to keep them current on technology and tactics. And that Honor is all of what, 60 T-years or so, with a possible life span going to something around 200?

She's got a very long military career still ahead of her, rotating between being Home Fleet CO, Admiralty as both Lord and Space Lord, and given her opinions she'd be merely a consultant on the political side, exactly as she was/is in MoH and ART. Gives her opinions to the other members of Elizabeth's inner council but stays a space-going fleet CO. But she has so much raw combat experience, and seniority the only place she can possibly go from Eighth Fleet CO is to become Home Fleet CO, replacing Caparelli as First Space Lord, or replacing Hamish as First Lord. Given her experience, Honor may also on occasion replace Hemphill as the head of BuWep, or the WDB, but she wouldn't ever be heading up BuPers, BuShips, or ONI.
Post by ccchuck   » Fri Feb 05, 2016 5:32 pm

ccchuck
Ensign

well as to what might become of Honor...

"they gave her back to me Scotty..."

comes to mind, as well as how much Alexander Kent's captains always miss frigates, who could tell Honor no!?

Those of us who have served as officers always seem to remember our troop commands more than the "other stuff". Seeing actual and immediate response usually happens only that way.

I assume no one has an update on David's health?, per my earlier question.
Post by saber964   » Fri Feb 05, 2016 5:35 pm

saber964
Admiral

Somtaaw wrote:If Honor does somehow manage to stay in uniform, she's basically going to become the equivalent of D'Orville, Webster, and Caparelli. Remember that the Manticoran Admiralty long-ago adopted the policy of rotating it's Admirals to keep them current on technology and tactics. And that Honor is all of what, 60 T-years or so, with a possible life span going to something around 200?

She's got a very long military career still ahead of her, rotating between being Home Fleet CO, Admiralty as both Lord and Space Lord, and given her opinions she'd be merely a consultant on the political side, exactly as she was/is in MoH and ART. Gives her opinions to the other members of Elizabeth's inner council but stays a space-going fleet CO. But she has so much raw combat experience, and seniority the only place she can possibly go from Eighth Fleet CO is to become Home Fleet CO, replacing Caparelli as First Space Lord, or replacing Hamish as First Lord. Given her experience, Honor may also on occasion replace Hemphill as the head of BuWep, or the WDB, but she wouldn't ever be heading up BuPers, BuShips, or ONI.

Honor will probably not be a Space Lord unless it is maybe BuWeaps or BuShips, other than that she'll rotate between a fleet command and a teaching position at Saganami and MacKenzie naval academies. Her rotation would read something like this Home Fleet, ATC, 9th Fleet, Mackenzie, Protectors Own, Saganimi, 10th Fleet, ATC, GSN Home Fleet and maybe toss in an ambassadorship to Haven or Maya for grins and giggles.
Post by markm57   » Fri Feb 05, 2016 5:53 pm

markm57
Lieutenant (Senior Grade)

DBlake wrote:I have searched websites and facebook, yet have found no information on if the Honor Harrington series will be finished.
I have been told he is in I'll health.
Is this true? If so, I wish a speedy recovery.
Will Mr. Weber be using ghost writers to finish, or will this series go the way of David Gerrolds; War Against the Chator, never finished. Thank you.

Mr. Weber is a wise man and a believer of karmatic paybacks. He knows if he had left his magnum opus unfinished he'd have legions of angry fan who would pray nightly for his torture in the fiery pits of Hades. Lol- like my other favorite author Julian May- I'm pretty sure David has continigencies in place. Personally hope he lives to a healthy 100.
Post by Somtaaw   » Fri Feb 05, 2016 5:56 pm

Somtaaw
Rear Admiral

saber964 wrote:
Somtaaw wrote:She's got a very long military career still ahead of her, rotating between being Home Fleet CO, Admiralty as both Lord and Space Lord, and given her opinions she'd be merely a consultant on the political side, exactly as she was/is in MoH and ART. Gives her opinions to the other members of Elizabeth's inner council but stays a space-going fleet CO. But she has so much raw combat experience, and seniority the only place she can possibly go from Eighth Fleet CO is to become Home Fleet CO, replacing Caparelli as First Space Lord, or replacing Hamish as First Lord. Given her experience, Honor may also on occasion replace Hemphill as the head of BuWep, or the WDB, but she wouldn't ever be heading up BuPers, BuShips, or ONI.

Honor will probably not be a Space Lord unless it is maybe BuWeaps or BuShips, other than that she'll rotate between a fleet command and a teaching position at Saganami and MacKenzie naval academies. Her rotation would read something like this Home Fleet, ATC, 9th Fleet, Mackenzie, Protectors Own, Saganimi, 10th Fleet, ATC, GSN Home Fleet and maybe toss in an ambassadorship to Haven or Maya for grins and giggles.

Keep in mind, Space Lord is the uniformed (active duty) position, and Lord is the civilian side. Hamish got his uniform put in the closet after High Ridge got kicked out of the PM office, so Honor could be put in the same position (eventually)
Post by JeffEngel   » Fri Feb 05, 2016 7:23 pm

JeffEngel
Admiral

Somtaaw wrote: But she has so much raw combat experience, and seniority the only place she can possibly go from Eighth Fleet CO is to become Home Fleet CO, replacing Caparelli as First Space Lord, or replacing Hamish as First Lord. Given her experience, Honor may also on occasion replace Hemphill as the head of BuWep, or the WDB, but she wouldn't ever be heading up BuPers, BuShips, or ONI.

Home Fleet CO would likely be terribly, terribly dull for her. Ironically, it's also a posting for which she has remarkably little experience of that type of duty: not much of her career has been spent in long-term attachment to a major fleet concentration. The closest to that - even apparently counting pre-series junior officer time - would have been in Grayson from Flag in Exile through to the beginning of Honor Among Enemies, and falling into it by default after the Battle of Manticore, just because the only nearby surviving fleet to command was hers already. She's also been weak on staff positions. Home Fleet obviously isn't one, but from the perspective of keeping senior RMN officers rounded and with some recent hand in a variety of appropriate fields, she's much more due for that than for yet another fleet command - only a dull one this time. (CO of Grand Alliance Grand Fleet though should be relevant practice for First Space Lord one of these days, when Tom Caparelli can finally get rotated elsewhere.)

I wouldn't rule out BuPers. It's not excitingly shoot-y, sure, but Lucian Cortez has always prized her for what she does to the efficiency and performance of officers and enlisted personnel who go through one of her commands. The square pegs get in square holes, the diamonds in the rough get shined, Horace Harkness gets a knighthood and marries a Marine.... The guiding principle of the early modern GSN became "What Would Honor Do?" Surely some of that would carry over to work actually in BuPers. If even a little of it did, that would be a treasure for the RMN.

Return to Honorverse