Topic Actions

Topic Search

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: tlb and 65 guests

Treecat Marines

Join us in talking discussing all things Honor, including (but not limited to) tactics, favorite characters, and book discussions.
Re: Treecat Marines
Post by exiledtoIA   » Thu Jan 28, 2016 5:45 pm

exiledtoIA
Lieutenant Commander

As Torlek pointed out, a not insignificant number of treecats are going to be VIP bodyguards.
Question:
What happens if the treecat bodyguard meets it's perfect bond partner while assigned to someone else?
Post by saber964   » Thu Jan 28, 2016 5:48 pm

saber964
Admiral

exiledtoIA wrote:As Torlek pointed out, a not insignificant number of treecats are going to be VIP bodyguards.
Question:
What happens if the treecat bodyguard meets it's perfect bond partner while assigned to someone else?

Remember it's the treecat who initiates the bond, so the person whose bodyguard has bonded is just going to live with it.
Post by Torlek   » Sat Jan 30, 2016 3:40 pm

Torlek
Lieutenant (Senior Grade)

Vince wrote:Actually, there are treecats engaged in civilian treecat industries important for the war effort. The industries are hunting and agriculture (by treecats, to supply treecats with food, because without food for treecats, you have no treecats).

Bounded treecats, seam to be fine living on human food. Nor is there any reason preventing human farmers to grow native sphinxian food for treecat consumption and do so more efficiently. If you wanted to archive total treecat mobilization, food production and any other task the remaining civilian treecats need to get done could be taken over by humans.
Post by saber964   » Sun Jan 31, 2016 12:14 pm

saber964
Admiral

Torlek wrote:
Vince wrote:Actually, there are treecats engaged in civilian treecat industries important for the war effort. The industries are hunting and agriculture (by treecats, to supply treecats with food, because without food for treecats, you have no treecats).

Bounded treecats, seam to be fine living on human food. Nor is there any reason preventing human farmers to grow native sphinxian food for treecat consumption and do so more efficiently. If you wanted to archive total treecat mobilization, food production and any other task the remaining civilian treecats need to get done could be taken over by humans.

IIRC treecats can eat most types of human foods and humans can eat Sphinxian foods.

IIRC treecats have been eating rabbit, beef, chicken, pork, fish, celery, onion and various cheeses.

IIRC humans have been eating leopard trout, ice potato, range barley and near lettuce
Post by biochem   » Mon Feb 01, 2016 10:44 am

biochem
Rear Admiral

There's not that many treecats now. But my understanding from the series (Nimitz and Samantha) is that the decision to have a litter is largely a matter of choice. So if treecats decided as a group that they really needed to ramp up there population numbers, they could and the fact that they have litters rather than the one at a time that humans are for the most part limited to means that they could ramp up there numbers quickly. Given that this is a prolong universe and that the timeline of the war could be decades, they may decide there is considerable value in a drastic population increase even if the kittens take 20 or so years to grow up. Especially if they start moving out into the universe, where the limits of Sphinx (food supply, territory etc) no longer limit them.
Post by saber964   » Mon Feb 01, 2016 5:22 pm

saber964
Admiral

biochem wrote:There's not that many treecats now. But my understanding from the series (Nimitz and Samantha) is that the decision to have a litter is largely a matter of choice. So if treecats decided as a group that they really needed to ramp up there population numbers, they could and the fact that they have litters rather than the one at a time that humans are for the most part limited to means that they could ramp up there numbers quickly. Given that this is a prolong universe and that the timeline of the war could be decades, they may decide there is considerable value in a drastic population increase even if the kittens take 20 or so years to grow up. Especially if they start moving out into the universe, where the limits of Sphinx (food supply, territory etc) no longer limit them.

In animals that multiple births, the main governing factor is food supply with environment a close second. IIRC treecats have litters 3-7 kittens with 4 being the most common. E.g. the Damp Ground Clan in SK3 would have had few if any kittens born during the up coming winter and probably wouldn't have any until early summer because of the near starvation of the clan and the relocation. The other clan would've probably seen a sharp reduction in pregnancies and number of kittens born.
Post by cthia   » Mon Feb 01, 2016 5:53 pm

cthia
Fleet Admiral

saber964 wrote:
biochem wrote:There's not that many treecats now. But my understanding from the series (Nimitz and Samantha) is that the decision to have a litter is largely a matter of choice. So if treecats decided as a group that they really needed to ramp up there population numbers, they could and the fact that they have litters rather than the one at a time that humans are for the most part limited to means that they could ramp up there numbers quickly. Given that this is a prolong universe and that the timeline of the war could be decades, they may decide there is considerable value in a drastic population increase even if the kittens take 20 or so years to grow up. Especially if they start moving out into the universe, where the limits of Sphinx (food supply, territory etc) no longer limit them.

In animals that multiple births, the main governing factor is food supply with environment a close second. IIRC treecats have litters 3-7 kittens with 4 being the most common. E.g. the Damp Ground Clan in SK3 would have had few if any kittens born during the up coming winter and probably wouldn't have any until early summer because of the near starvation of the clan and the relocation. The other clan would've probably seen a sharp reduction in pregnancies and number of kittens born.

I wonder how they manage to put a cap on births. I don't recall there being an artificial method of birth control. Treecats are nothing like Terran cats who go in estrus for 4-6 days at a time every 2-3 weeks from as early as 4 months old.

In comparison, our Treecats are sexually active year-round and have no seasonal mating periods or fertility cycles. In other words, the males are never shooting blanks and the females are never wearing vests.

How do they control such a persistent call of the wild? Other than what nature provides, whereby unmated treecats are relatively infertile.

Son, your mother says I have to hang you. Personally I don't think this is a capital offense. But if I don't hang you, she's gonna hang me and frankly, I'm not the one in trouble. —cthia's father. Incident in ? Axiom of Common Sense
Post by saber964   » Mon Feb 01, 2016 7:27 pm

saber964
Admiral

cthia wrote:
saber964 wrote: quote="biochem"]There's not that many treecats now. But my understanding from the series (Nimitz and Samantha) is that the decision to have a litter is largely a matter of choice. So if treecats decided as a group that they really needed to ramp up there population numbers, they could and the fact that they have litters rather than the one at a time that humans are for the most part limited to means that they could ramp up there numbers quickly. Given that this is a prolong universe and that the timeline of the war could be decades, they may decide there is considerable value in a drastic population increase even if the kittens take 20 or so years to grow up. Especially if they start moving out into the universe, where the limits of Sphinx (food supply, territory etc) no longer limit them.

I wonder how they manage to put a cap on births. I don't recall there being an artificial method of birth control. Treecats are nothing like Terran cats who go in estrus for 4-6 days at a time every 2-3 weeks from as early as 4 months old.

In comparison, our Treecats are sexually active year-round and have no seasonal mating periods or fertility cycles. In other words, the males are never shooting blanks and the females are never wearing vests.

How do they control such a persistent call of the wild? Other than what nature provides, whereby unmated treecats are relatively infertile.[/quote]

IIRC treecats average a pregnancy every 8-10 T-years and remain fertile for 150 T-years. So Samantha should be be getting in the family way very soon.
Post by cthia   » Tue Feb 02, 2016 1:30 am

cthia
Fleet Admiral

saber964 wrote:In animals that multiple births, the main governing factor is food supply with environment a close second. IIRC treecats have litters 3-7 kittens with 4 being the most common. E.g. the Damp Ground Clan in SK3 would have had few if any kittens born during the up coming winter and probably wouldn't have any until early summer because of the near starvation of the clan and the relocation. The other clan would've probably seen a sharp reduction in pregnancies and number of kittens born.

cthia wrote:I wonder how they manage to put a cap on births. I don't recall there being an artificial method of birth control. Treecats are nothing like Terran cats who go in estrus for 4-6 days at a time every 2-3 weeks from as early as 4 months old.

How do they control such a persistent call of the wild? Other than what nature provides, whereby unmated treecats are relatively infertile.

saber964 wrote:IIRC treecats average a pregnancy every 8-10 T-years and remain fertile for 150 T-years. So Samantha should be be getting in the family way very soon.

Average pregnancy every 8-10 years seems excessive for a species such as the treecats. What I'd like to know if that is a natural built-in biological limitation -- a limitation imposed by nature or of a conscious decision self-imposed by the treecats, possibly suggesting a serious case of vasocongestion suffered by male cats.

I always thought of Nimitz as a studly sort of fellow -- he and Samantha making the beast with two backs at every re-union.

Wait, just how long had it been - and frustrated was Nimitz - at the time of the Maccabean incident in the Palace?... "You wouldn't like me when I'm angry Brotherhood. And right now, I'm angry and frustrated."

If that was the case, the Brotherhood walked into a horny hornet's nest. :lol:

Son, your mother says I have to hang you. Personally I don't think this is a capital offense. But if I don't hang you, she's gonna hang me and frankly, I'm not the one in trouble. —cthia's father. Incident in ? Axiom of Common Sense
Post by exiledtoIA   » Tue Feb 02, 2016 5:56 pm

exiledtoIA
Lieutenant Commander

saber964 wrote:
exiledtoIA wrote:As Torlek pointed out, a not insignificant number of treecats are going to be VIP bodyguards.
Question:

Remember it's the treecat who initiates the bond, so the person whose bodyguard has bonded is just going to live with it.

There is textev ( forget which book - the adoption of the Mayhew daughter ) that near constant physical contact is important for the first several months of the adoption.

So what happens when President Pritchard's treecat meets ADM Foraker? Does Eloise have to stay at Bolthole or does Shannon become the President's ad hoc naval attache and bodyguard transport?

Return to Honorverse